Exploring the Explorer

Sero

Elite member
I'm venturing into this Bronco/Explorer mash-up. Going to build an Explorer with dual motors/twin boom/ A tail. Or is that a Bronco with a Explorer wing? I don't know. Only thing is the Explorer wing is going to have the Bronco spar.
I can either use the Emax C-pack motors with 10" prop or Turnigy D2826 2200kv on 7" props. Thoughts?
I'll be running this on 3s and hoping for long smooth slow flight times with my go pro and perhaps eventually FPV.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm venturing into this Bronco/Explorer mash-up. Going to build an Explorer with dual motors/twin boom/ A tail. Or is that a Bronco with a Explorer wing? I don't know. Only thing is the Explorer wing is going to have the Bronco spar.
I can either use the Emax C-pack motors with 10" prop or Turnigy D2826 2200kv on 7" props. Thoughts?
I'll be running this on 3s and hoping for long smooth slow flight times with my go pro and perhaps eventually FPV.
2826's for sure! what pitch are the props and what size of battery?

The straight up Bronco would be the plans that you would go with. The only reason I mashed up the Bronco and the Explorer was to have the single pusher and still do the twin boom. Plus the Bronco wing would be better then the Explorer wing. Once you do the first flight or so you might want to consider cutting a couple inches off each wing tip to make it less sensitive to wind, unless you are planning to eliminate the under camber all together. The A tail I here is nice and responsive over the other two options plus you get the rudder advantage.

Sero

Elite member
2826's for sure! what pitch are the props and what size of battery?

The straight up Bronco would be the plans that you would go with. The only reason I mashed up the Bronco and the Explorer was to have the single pusher and still do the twin boom. Plus the Bronco wing would be better then the Explorer wing. Once you do the first flight or so you might want to consider cutting a couple inches off each wing tip to make it less sensitive to wind, unless you are planning to eliminate the under camber all together. The A tail I here is nice and responsive over the other two options plus you get the rudder advantage.

I built and flew an Explorer before and I decide this time I wanted to make it a twin with the A-tail. The extra wing area of the Explorer will reduce wing loading and let it float more. I'll be running a 2200 3S, maybe 2... :rolleyes: I'll have to see which props I have. I know I have plenty for the e-max motor, pretty sure I don't have any counter rotating motors for the Turnigys.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I built and flew an Explorer before and I decide this time I wanted to make it a twin with the A-tail. The extra wing area of the Explorer will reduce wing loading and let it float more. I'll be running a 2200 3S, maybe 2... :rolleyes: I'll have to see which props I have. I know I have plenty for the e-max motor, pretty sure I don't have any counter rotating motors for the Turnigys.
Yeah you are right the Explorer wing will give you better slow flight loft. So you are going for long flights, wouldn't the C pack motors on 10" props be more efficient then? Are you using it for FPV or on-board filming, or just to see how long of flight times you will get?

Sero

Elite member
Yeah you are right the Explorer wing will give you better slow flight loft. So you are going for long flights, wouldn't the C pack motors on 10" props be more efficient then? Are you using it for FPV or on-board filming, or just to see how long of flight times you will get?

Yes the 10" props will be more efficient, I'm just not sure what clearance there is as FT recommends a 8" prop for the bronco. I can always decide which motor to use after I build the plane. Also planning on building the Guinea Pig in which the C-pack motors are more suited to.

All I have right now is a go pro so I'll put that on for now, I'll 3D print the mount @Bavarian_RC designed.
I'm hoping I will eventually get some FPV gear, not sure when. Probably shouldn't spend the money....:cautious:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes the 10" props will be more efficient, I'm just not sure what clearance there is as FT recommends a 8" prop for the bronco. I can always decide which motor to use after I build the plane. Also planning on building the Guinea Pig in which the C-pack motors are more suited to.

All I have right now is a go pro so I'll put that on for now, I'll 3D print the mount @Bavarian_RC designed.
I'm hoping I will eventually get some FPV gear, not sure when. Probably shouldn't spend the money....:cautious:
You could upscale the Bronco to say 120% and still get the efficiency out of it. The Guinea Pig is a huge plane where the Bronco is much smaller.

I have the Racer pretty much built and I think if I was to build another, even for the motor I am using, I would downscale it some. If I was gonna go for some real speed on it, narrow the fuse and throw on a speed wing it would go down to 85-90%. The 40" wingspan and long tail is kinda excessive for this guys tastes

Sero

Elite member
You could upscale the Bronco to say 120% and still get the efficiency out of it. The Guinea Pig is a huge plane where the Bronco is much smaller.

I have the Racer pretty much built and I think if I was to build another, even for the motor I am using, I would downscale it some. If I was gonna go for some real speed on it, narrow the fuse and throw on a speed wing it would go down to 85-90%. The 40" wingspan and long tail is kinda excessive for this guys tastes

Its funny you say that because I just picked up my Racer and the first time in a few months and the first thought in my mind was how big and heavy it is. But I have been playing with the Mini Mustangs alot since then.
The nice thing about the 40" Racer, it makes it easier to see when flying fast with my diminishing eyes.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Its funny you say that because I just picked up my Racer and the first time in a few months and the first thought in my mind was how big and heavy it is. But I have been playing with the Mini Mustangs alot since then.
The nice thing about the 40" Racer, it makes it easier to see when flying fast with my diminishing eyes.
How is the MM treating you, are you building or flying it?

Sero

Elite member
Making progress.
The center fuse is from my Explorer that retired years back, structurally it's sound, doesn't look great cosmetically but paint may fix that so I'll go with it.
10" props will hit the ground, I'll check the clearance of my 3 blade 9" props that work well with the C-pack on 3s.

Need to make the nose, power pods and install all the electronics, then its done.
IMG_20200120_161625.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Making progress.
The center fuse is from my Explorer that retired years back, structurally it's sound, doesn't look great cosmetically but paint may fix that so I'll go with it.
10" props will hit the ground, I'll check the clearance of my 3 blade 9" props that work well with the C-pack on 3s.

Need to make the nose, power pods and install all the electronics, then its done. View attachment 155304

It's a way different look with that wing on there. Two 9" 3 blades would be cool though, should be able just putz around all afternoon

PoorManRC

Master member
Looking GREAT!!
I know it can be a bad word around here.... but some Landing Gear would likely fix the Prop issues! 😉
If you can get some big, light Tires, you should be able to at least land on anything but tall grasses.

Just my 2¢ 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking GREAT!!
I know it can be a bad word around here.... but some Landing Gear would likely fix the Prop issues! 😉
If you can get some big, light Tires, you should be able to at least land on anything but tall grasses.

Just my 2¢ 😉
That's a good point, I have see the bronco with landing get on it, mostly dropped off the fuse. Wouldn't take much to hang them from the booms as well.

But I think he is looking to not only keep it light but less drag for longer flight times

Bavarian_RC

Elite member

No need to be concerned about the clearance of the 10“ prop. I fly 10x5 props on my Bronco with the B pack motors. There is about 10mm clearance towards the fuse. With a 2200 3S I have 7:30 min flight time (always full throttle) 😎

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Making progress.

Need to make the nose, power pods and install all the electronics, then its done. View attachment 155304
I know that the 10“ props hit the ground, but after more than 450 flights with my two Bronco I only broke like 4-5 props.
The look with this wing is great. Let me know how it flies. I will build Bronco No 3 this year... could be a good idea to use this wing

Sero

Elite member
Looking GREAT!!

Just my 2¢ 😉

I had actually thought about that, could easily do tricycle gear as I'm using nylon bolts to attach the power pods and could attach the main wheels there too. I can easily do that after, wheel see...:unsure::rolleyes:(n) bad pun.:D

With it being winter, (SNOW), perhaps a float under each boom might be more interesting!

Have fun!
He lives in a place that doesn't get much snow, if it does it doesn't stick around for long. But you are right, It would be pretty epic

We just had our ones weeks worth of snow last week, here's our current forecast.....:cautious:(n)
Screenshot_20200121-074229s.png

No need to be concerned about the clearance of the 10“ prop. I fly 10x5 props on my Bronco with the B pack motors. There is about 10mm clearance towards the fuse. With a 2200 3S I have 7:30 min flight time (always full throttle) 😎
I know that the 10“ props hit the ground, but after more than 450 flights with my two Bronco I only broke like 4-5 props.
The look with this wing is great. Let me know how it flies. I will build Bronco No 3 this year... could be a good idea to use this wing

Good to know thanks, we'll see how she flies and I'll definitely post the results.

Sero

Elite member
Making some progress with the Bronco/Explorer. I'm horrible at documenting my progress so not many photos.

The air frame is all assembled and miniwaxed and ready for paint. Came out at 490 grams without electronics, a bit heavier than I hoped. I did add a 10 mm wooden spar support as the explorer wing tends to be weak (mine broke first flight), I probably could have done without it as I used the Broncos spar and I believe it's stronger design. I designed and 3d printed spar support blocks to reduce the amount of glue for the installation. I'm estimating the wooden spar added about 75grams.

Dual C-pack and all electronics is weighing in at 415 grams, so weight without battery will be about 915 grams. Perhaps running this as a single pusher or with smaller dual motors will be more ideal, but I'm going to go with what I have and see what happens. I can always make changes later.

After paint I'll take more photos showing some of the details that may be unique to this build.