Exploring the Explorer

Sero

Elite member
I wouldn't worry about the 10" props hitting the ground so long as they clear the fuselage. That's only a problem if you want to take off from the ground. Planes like my FT cruiser practically land on their nacelles. Any prop hits the ground. Just dont land with power on! 😄
Oh for sure, most of my planes are belly landers and the props will hit. Initially I thought that there was clearance issues since FT list a 8" prop but Bavarian RC cleared that up for me.

No progress with the build as the next step is paint and thats an outdoors thing for me and its been raining cats and dogs here.

I will share one thing here is these servo mounts that I found on thingiverse. This is the first time using these and I'm quite excited about them. It will be nice to be able to attach the servos without using glue. This will allow me to change them or even remove them if I need them for another project with zero damage to the air frame.

IMG_20200122_090324.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh for sure, most of my planes are belly landers and the props will hit. Initially I thought that there was clearance issues since FT list a 8" prop but Bavarian RC cleared that up for me.

No progress with the build as the next step is paint and thats an outdoors thing for me and its been raining cats and dogs here.

I will share one thing here is these servo mounts that I found on thingiverse. This is the first time using these and I'm quite excited about them. It will be nice to be able to attach the servos without using glue. This will allow me to change them or even remove them if I need them for another project with zero damage to the air frame.

View attachment 155645
Those look great! I need some now!

Zetoyoc

Elite member

View attachment 155645
I totally thought that was a light switch cover at first. I need more caffeine. :)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Those are cool, jealous. I've yet to enter the 3d printer world though I hope to soon! Until then I'm stuck being forced to find scrap plastic bits (from old oil pails to hotel key cards) to carve, dremel, and whittle on...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Those are cool, jealous. I've yet to enter the 3d printer world though I hope to soon! Until then I'm stuck being forced to find scrap plastic bits (from old oil pails to hotel key cards) to carve, dremel, and whittle on...
It's really easy to to just punch in a couple files and press play, a true craftsman whittle's his parts out of scraps :LOL:(y)

Truth be told I want one too

Sero

Elite member
It's really easy to to just punch in a couple files and press play, a true craftsman whittle's his parts out of scraps :LOL:(y)

Truth be told I want one too

I wish it was that easy, :) it takes a lot of messing around to get it to print well, from fine tuning the printer to getting the right slicer settings.
Then learning CAD to designing your own parts. It's lots of fun and rewarding. (y)

I have a big collection of RC parts already printed ready for use, and many more files downloaded ready to go.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I wish it was that easy, :) it takes a lot of messing around to get it to print well, from fine tuning the printer to getting the right slicer settings.
Then learning CAD to designing your own parts. It's lots of fun and rewarding. (y)

I have a big collection of RC parts already printed ready for use, and many more files downloaded ready to go.
I don't have a 3D printer and I have a handful of planes and a bunch of parts, all files ready to go.

I am in a PM thread where the past 15 pages have been all about setting up a printer, I can see the intensity in getting one calibrated and working properly, looks all consuming

Sero

Elite member
I don't have a 3D printer and I have a handful of planes and a bunch of parts, all files ready to go.

I am in a PM thread where the past 15 pages have been all about setting up a printer, I can see the intensity in getting one calibrated and working properly, looks all consuming

Nice!

So your planning to get one soon? Which thread is that? I'm always looking at different ideas, mostly YouTube.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Which thread is that? I'm always looking at different ideas, mostly YouTube.
It's a PM group thread and a couple of the more juvenile members just picked up their own 3D printer and there is like 15 pages of back and forth of assembly, set up, and experimenting in calibrations. Really it is quite taxing on the brain, at this point I am just ignoring it for now, unless my name is mentioned. You might be better off with YT info to be honest, more your speed. Really I am doing you the favor of not subjecting you to it lol.

I would like to get one for sure, the thing is that I got to justify it to the woman, find ways that she needs one. There is the down side of my A.D.D. step kids that will want to play with it all the time. I would have to keep it under lock and key, it's own room, with a vaulted door... and a moat with sharks in it lol

Sero

Elite member
Ya I had to somehow justify it with my wife too. I worked into my Birthday and she browsed the internet and found some things she liked. She seems to be good with it now, I've made quite a few things for the family.
My youngest has ADHD and he seems very intrigued by it but I have no concerns at this time as he's no where near figuring out how to use it.

I searched around and ended up buying from https://3dprintingcanada.com/ I had some issues with it and they were very helpful, something I doubt Amazon or Hobbyking could have helped with, which is 2 other retailers I was considering.
I'm wishing I would have gotten the Ender 3 as there is so much out there since it's such a common printer.

Sero

Elite member
Is the Ender 3 just a better printer or is it just supported better?

It's comparable to mine (Longer LK2), but because its such a common printer there is more information, more parts and accessorys out. It's not an issue now but I'm sure in years to come if I have any problems I would have been better off with the Ender 3.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm looking at getting an ender 3 myself, mostly because of its popularity the support it seems to have. The biggest Problem I have is my style of building is poorly suited to investing weeks in learning new tricks... I've been whittling with pocket knives and dremels for 30 years, seems like most of the time I can get a functional prototype up and running before I could find the on switch on an ender! 😄

I've been working with mission planner for some time, I'm not sure I can handle any more computers in my life right now! They just get in the way of flying! 🤣

PoorManRC

Master member
This is something I've absolutely wanted for a long time....
I'm afraid that by the time I can afford one, they will be so complex (and I'll be SO freaking old) that I won't even be able to turn the dang thing on!! 😳😞

So many things I need 3D Printed though.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
So many things I need 3D Printed though...

My background is more in the machining side of things, with a healthy dose if sculpting in my past. I'm much handier at taking large shapless things and making smaller useful things. This can be done quite cheaply and efficiently. Like I said, dremel and a pocket knife! Good cheap plastic is easy to get in bulk, either scrap or something like home depot. Wood is great, styrofoam melted down with gasoline then poured into a mold and allowed to cure is amazingly strong/hard...

Necessity is the mother of invention my friend! The main reason I dont have one is that I haven't found anything I need yet that I cant build already... not that, like i said, i wouldn't love to have one, just not a priority yet...

OliverW

Legendary member
Ya I had to somehow justify it with my wife too. I worked into my Birthday and she browsed the internet and found some things she liked. She seems to be good with it now, I've made quite a few things for the family.
My youngest has ADHD and he seems very intrigued by it but I have no concerns at this time as he's no where near figuring out how to use it.

I searched around and ended up buying from https://3dprintingcanada.com/ I had some issues with it and they were very helpful, something I doubt Amazon or Hobbyking could have helped with, which is 2 other retailers I was considering.
I'm wishing I would have gotten the Ender 3 as there is so much out there since it's such a common printer.
I have ADHD as well. It is probably why my prints were coming out bad in the beginning as I my attention span was too short to watch all the videos on how to use it lol