Expo?

boro92

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to RC flight. Been into the RC car thing for over a decade and was looking for a more interesting change. Planes are much more fun!

I've learned to fly on an ultra micro champ...and then progressed to an ultra micro trojan.
Both of these planes are ridiculously easy to fly--even in wind.

Quesiton is, I've learned to fly without expo (although admittedly, on very forgiving airframes). Is this really an important setting for flying other planes? I'm still using the RTF transmitter which has no provision for expo, so I've not experienced a true radio for a plane yet. Is it worth the change? :D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Expo is not needed for most normal flying but can be really good for flying where you need to make very small adjustments or if the plane is kind of "itchy".

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Planes with large control surfaces and large throws for fast roll rates and extreme 3D often benefit if not require expo because they roll so fast that making small adjustments are very difficult. Using expo gives you the ability to make fine movements while still retaining full throws for extreme maneuvers. Scale models benefit from easier fine control as well.

All that said, expo is not required for most models. If you are flying an edge 540 or extra, yak or cap then expo is going to be a huge benefit but if you are flying a cub or high wing trainer then you won't really need it.

A "real" radio is going to give you a lot of options besides expo that really help if you are planning on getting into bigger models. What are your plans for the future? Are you interested in larger faster planes or heli's? Extra channels will come in handy for flaps, retracts, bomb drops or having separate aileron servos. If you're looking at larger planes you will DEFINITELY want to invest in a full range radio if for no other reason than you don't have the range capability with the small radios.

boro92

Thanks for the info guys! Very insightful.
It makes sense that expo is helpful for 3D type planes. I'm planning on my next purchase being the HK SE5a as I'm a sucker for WWI machines. It's going to be the largest plane I've flown, but I doubt something as docile as that would need it. Just wanted to ask the experts to confirm my suspicions--and indeed you guys did!

I'll definitely venture towards a better radio...perhaps not quite yet. But the day I venture to more aerobatic airframes, the radio will definitely be on my list! Thanks guys :D

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The biggest advantage of a computerised radio is model memory, rather than mixes. You can do most basic mixes one way or another on basic radios, but saving the trim settings between models, and the option of having a receiver for each plane, is a big advantage.

Also, don't necessarily think of a computerised radio in terms of the expensive options. The Turnigy 9x, the best value for money tx on the market, is only US$53.95 plus postage from Hobbyking. And the new Turnigy 6XS, which isn't as good as the 9x but has some good features, is only US$44.16 plus postage. Also, Hobbyking are soon to be releasing the Turnigy 9XR, which is meant to be about the same price as the 9x but have a few more features. But good luck getting your hands on one of those when they get released...

Personally I see no advantage in spending the extra money (and I'm talking a LOT extra) for a Futaba or Hitec or Spectrum radio. But that's my personal opinion, and you'll encounter plenty of opinions out there.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Personally I see no advantage in spending the extra money (and I'm talking a LOT extra) for a Futaba or Hitec or Spectrum radio. But that's my personal opinion, and you'll encounter plenty of opinions out there.
How many 9x do you need if you have +40 models? My DX7 was full so i had to buy a DX8 - and now i can buddy or fly combat with a friend ;-)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
With ER9x, 16 models per tx. For the price of a DX8 and a DX7 you could buy a dozen 9x radios including shipping!

But point taken on the model memory. I'm pretty sure I've seen that the 9XR is meant to have a micro SD slot.