Extreme Squirreltail 300 Coming at you

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not that I can fly one, well no where near the level of most of you 3D flyers especially @SquirrelTail lets design a 3D Extreme foamie . This will be a slow process and the total design I haven't figured out yet but I think it will involve some 3D printing, balsa and I am going to try and get the FB in there . Never designed for using FB before so that will be a learning curve.

Extra 300 Top Profile.jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
It is looking great! Sorry if I am being ignorant, but what electronics are you using?
Haven't the faintest idea yet.
I might use the cheap version of @BATTLEAXE Rim Fire motor :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: , Servos steel gear for sure but I might step it up in size also, on my F14 I have the wings directly attached to a 17 gr servo ( have to go check) and they swing the wing no problem. I want to do my hinge lines roughly the same >< so full travel both ways . Planning on going for a 1200mm or 4' wing span so I can still get it in nd out of the truck with ease wings attached. But I might experiment and try to copy their mounting system and make the wings removable.

These are the two motors I am considering, both will be setup as inrunners

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-3648-brushless-motor-1450kv.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-3536-1400kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

I have to go find my servos now :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yea the nose looks better for sure, like it belongs to the plane. what is up with the transition from the back of the canopy to the rear turtle deck, do you mean to have it hang out past the canopy profile?
That might just be the angle of the pictures and how the surfaces were rendered but they do mate each other. But this is just the model anyways and from here is when I start to do the layout for the foam.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That might just be the angle of the pictures and how the surfaces were rendered but they do mate each other. But this is just the model anyways and from here is when I start to do the layout for the foam.
Great things usually happen mid build while it is all laid out in front of you. It looks like, from all the angles, that the top apex of the rear turtle deck needs a sharper curve to pull the sides in to match the canopy. might just be a CAD thing

L Edge

Master member

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Is the chord of the wing in line as the chord of the horizontal stab? Where's landing gear?
You need to put your surface controls on your drawings. What they look like is important for 3D flying.
Generally, all 3D planes start fat at the nose and go slender as you go back, making sure the airflow does not go turbulant.
The Addiction series has a tall and slender fuse and a fat wing chord to achieve the same thing. As long as there is the least turbulence possible to enhance the control surfaces performance is what you are long for nose to tail

L Edge

Master member
The Addiction series has a tall and slender fuse and a fat wing chord to achieve the same thing. As long as there is the least turbulence possible to enhance the control surfaces performance is what you are long for nose to tail

Explain to me what happens behind the main wing when you have a fat wing cord in hover?