Extreme Squirreltail 300 Coming at you

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Explain to me what happens behind the main wing when you have a fat wing cord in hover?
Whatever happens seems to work for Michael Wargo, he likes these planes to compete with... turbulence is some that to can not completely eliminate. An Edge or Extra has the same turbulence issues to deal with. Tell me how to make it 100% streamline and efficient...

Some people put fences on the wing and the airfoil shape has a lot to do with it! you can't just throw any old airfoil up there even if it's symmetrical and expect it to work. There is a leading edge radius the thickness percentage of the airfoil and you have a trailing edge angle... Etc etc there's allot to think about. Unfortunately you can't just pick an airfoil from the full size planes, because of Reynolds numbers and polars etc. Do some research online and see if you can find out what people have used in the past and try to make sure all of your control surfaces are axial.. the airfoil shape on the front of the plane on the sides of the cowling have an effect on the aerodynamics from the prop to the wing to the tail etc etc for 3D aerobatic flight I would look for a symmetrical airfoil that has a sharp stall characteristic. Look at the NACA 0010 and the e474...that's all I have.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Great things usually happen mid build while it is all laid out in front of you. It looks like, from all the angles, that the top apex of the rear turtle deck needs a sharper curve to pull the sides in to match the canopy. might just be a CAD thing
If you look at the front view you will see they are identical.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Is the chord of the wing in line as the chord of the horizontal stab? Where's landing gear?
You need to put your surface controls on your drawings. What they look like is important for 3D flying.
Generally, all 3D planes start fat at the nose and go slender as you go back, making sure the airflow does not go turbulant.
Top view on the left side you will see the control surface lines under post https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...irreltail-300-coming-at-you.61927/post-542865 and I think it is the second picture in.
Horizontal chord is just slightly higher then the wing chord.

As far as landing gear goes that can be done last , not sure how that would affect it . Heck I still don't have the wing tips on either.

Whatever happens seems to work for Michael Wargo, he likes these planes to compete with... turbulence is some that to can not completely eliminate. An Edge or Extra has the same turbulence issues to deal with. Tell me how to make it 100% streamline and efficient...
wow! If I could answer how to make it 100% streamlined and efficient I would probably win a Nobel prize! LOL

Wildthing

Legendary member
Either way this is just the preliminary model and anything can be changed really easy at this point.

This is all based off of the Extreme Extra 300 104 pictures I could find , this is the guy that @SquirrelTail flies and I will take his word on how good of a plane it is just based on his flying capabilities, a level I will never reach that is for sure :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Either way this is just the preliminary model and anything can be changed really easy at this point.

This is all based off of the Extreme Extra 300 104 pictures I could find , this is the guy that @SquirrelTail flies and I will take his word on how good of a plane it is just based on his flying capabilities, a level I will never reach that is for sure :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you going to use at as something to learn 3D or as a sport plane?

Dude as Josh said in a flight test video one time, on a Model our scale it's just not that critical but when you get it just right there's a difference it's like engine with a bad spark plug wire or a bad sensor it still runs pretty good but when everything is right it's golden! Seriously check out the two airfoils I suggested and read up on airfoil data for RC models if you want I have a paper I can email to you.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you look at the front view you will see they are identical.
I know that's what is confusing cuz from every other angle it looks flared out and the turtle deck looks so rounded on the top. What if it was more of a bubble canopy like you see on most 3D models of this design, less triangular from the front profile

Wildthing

Legendary member
Dude as Josh said in a flight test video one time, on a Model our scale it's just not that critical but when you get it just right there's a difference it's like engine with a bad spark plug wire or a bad sensor it still runs pretty good but when everything is right it's golden! Seriously check out the two airfoils I suggested and read up on airfoil data for RC models if you want I have a paper I can email to you.
What two airfoils ?

Wildthing

Legendary member
missed that post, found it. I do have most of the info of the different types of airfoils.

OliverW

Legendary member

I wish I had one. I have the 105" Slick 580. I want one though!!!