Extreme Squirreltail 300 Coming at you

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
First real almost full flight with the Extreme. Propped it down to a 11X7 instead of that 13X4W prop just to relive some stress it generates and it still had great power. Actually even played a bit with it seeing how balance it was inverted and very little elevator required to stay level so maybe a little playing with the cg . Rolls no problem and and it seems to keep a straight line, loops are easy and heck I even did one knife edge. But there was a little snap and then a slight vibration so I brought it down quick before anything left me and it all came home in one piece. Slight little crack in the motor mount and I think I have the cure for that.

That turned out to be a pretty quick plane man. Maneuverable as it should be but that was half throttle? Slick machine

Wildthing

Legendary member
That turned out to be a pretty quick plane man. Maneuverable as it should be but that was half throttle? Slick machine
Just 1/2 most of the flight, I did dial it up a bit compared to the last time and added another flight mode with a bit more yet, will slowly turn it up as long as it keeps coming home in one piece :) .

Wildthing

Legendary member
2 full batteries ran through the Extreme , no snaps, pops, cracks or vibrations and the motor is still in it. Time to give it some color now. :)

It flies rather well, slowly turning the rates up on it , I think it is going to be a fun plane. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well tempted fate going out in 44k winds but all came home intact. My new Extreme handles the wind pretty good for being such a big bird. No real fancy stunts today other then an almost text book vertical landing.
I tried to taxi it back but as soon as I would give it any power it wanted to lift.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yesterday had out the Extreme for a couple flights, 2nd was short because it was at dusk and if you were not really close it was just a black silhouette and it was really hard to tell if you were even inverted so I brought it in before I crashed it.

Wildthing

Legendary member
A little thump a couple weeks ago showed up, I thought maybe the 3D printed mount was breaking but it was the foam cracking just behind the motor mount . Noticed the motor was moving around a bit to much after landing last time. Surgery table it is , a little bit of grafting and it is ready to fly again once the glue cures.
2020_0827_075823_001.JPG
2020_0827_091208_001.JPG
2020_0827_100550_001.JPG
2020_0827_101601_001.JPG
2020_0827_102213_001.JPG
2020_0827_104926_001.JPG
2020_0827_110705_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well after yesterday's flight with a knowingly bad elevator servo ready to crap out any second and flew it anyways (my way of recycling :) ) I figured let's do the surgery and let it live for another flight. I could move the servo arm probably 1/4 turn without any resistance :D . This so called metal gear servo by Turnigy well it does have some nice fancy metal gears in it but then there is one plastic gear, guess which one is stripped?

2021_0328_205132_001.JPG
2021_0328_205523_001.JPG
2021_0328_211002_001.JPG
2021_0328_232749_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
nicely fixed - it is certainly odd to have one plastic gear - I guess they think that one is under the least load!
I was actually hoping it would crash so it would give me an excuse to build another, it is getting beat up and the control surfaces are not true anymore so perfect loops are hard to do :D