Extreme tape?

Doug Holverson

What is it? Is it filament tape with filaments going crossways or something else? Is it available at any big box franchises like Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, TSC, or Wal-Mart? Or even the USPS counter?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yep - filament running both length and cross ways. Home Despot have it in there shipping supplies section (at least that's where I get mine).

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What would you need this for?

Anywhere you want tape with extra strength. I use it to re-inforce motor mounts, joining wing halves, and as an underlay for hot gluing velcro onto foamboard to hold batteries. Its good stuff but downsides are it is a little pricey and I have heard it doesn't hold up well long term with UV exposure.

DamoRC

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If you cannot find the extreme tape or it isn't lasting due to UV or similar there is a somewhat weird alternative.

The builders who use drywall and plaster up the joints and corners use a fibre tape which is an extremely open weave of extremely strong fibres, (sorry I do not know its technical name. Normally it is stuck in the dry wall corner then plastered over.

I use it to hold landing gear to the surface of ply or FB and smother it in Epoxy for that surface installation, and also for reinforced LEs where I fit the drywall tape and then cover it with Duct tape.

Just an alternative that is very cheap!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
This is the type of tape they are referring to. The link is for reference. This tape can be found at hardware stores and other places online.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015G860ZO/?tag=lstir-20

It is bi-directional filament tape. Some filament packing tapes only have filament running one direction.

Bi-directional filament tape is great for reinforcing joints and folds that will be under stress, like leading edges of wings that are double beveled, or holding firewalls to power pods or fuselages. It also works well to reinforce skewer holes.

I used to use that tape for wings-as hinge but it is not very strong after a year or so. it turns to yellow and leaves mark on foam. Comes off very easily after long time. I guess it is normal but considering how expensive it I had high expectation. Now I use just a regular tape.