EZ Intruder Beta 1.0

Please log in to download

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

MTpilots

Hi Dan, awesome work as usual. How much could/ should I scale up this or the other plans to accommodate four motors? I want to use the electronics from a micro quad on one of these airframes. The motors are 7mm brushed from a Hubsan h107. Thanks for any suggestions!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan, awesome work as usual. How much could/ should I scale up this or the other plans to accommodate four motors? I want to use the electronics from a micro quad on one of these airframes. The motors are 7mm brushed from a Hubsan h107. Thanks for any suggestions!

Love the idea. I would try 150% (1.5X), but that's just a guess. Might need a little trial and error to figure out. Please share some pics/vid if you build/fly it. (y)

SP0NZ submitted a new resource:

EZ Intruder - EZ Intruder Free Plans

Read more about this resource...
First, thank you for creating the Intruder. I'm in the process of cutting it out, but was wondering something about the design. Would it work with the propellers as pusher props, as opposed to the puller props on your design? If so, any suggestions regarding that setup?

Thank you for your time!
Dwight

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
First, thank you for creating the Intruder. I'm in the process of cutting it out, but was wondering something about the design. Would it work with the propellers as pusher props, as opposed to the puller props on your design? If so, any suggestions regarding that setup?

Thank you for your time!
Dwight
It could work, you would have to give it a try. Make sure you adjust the battery location to maintain proper CG. If you do try it, let us know if it works.

Ubahdank

hi i was flying the ez intruder when i crashed and broke the prop and was only left with a set of puller props. i don't think FT sells spare props for the ez power pack yet and was wondering if the ez intruder would work if i flipped them around and used the poller props? btw grate plane

Hi Sponz. Thank you so much for this design! I've enjoyed building two Speed Build kits, but I really wanted to try building from a set of plans. I also just got an EZ Power Pack as a Chanuka present from my wife. I've assembled the EZ Intruder from your plans (see attached photo - thanks!!!), but when I tried to swap and reverse the props on the motors, I found that I couldn't pull either prop off. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• PXL_20201220_052708619.jpg
    PXL_20201220_052708619.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Sponz. Thank you so much for this design! I've enjoyed building two Speed Build kits, but I really wanted to try building from a set of plans. I also just got an EZ Power Pack as a Chanuka present from my wife. I've assembled the EZ Intruder from your plans (see attached photo - thanks!!!), but when I tried to swap and reverse the props on the motors, I found that I couldn't pull either prop off. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!
The props can be a little hard to get off, especially the first time. But they do come off. You should have spares in your kit too, so they are designed to pull off. Also, It looks like the horizontal stabilizer is on backwards. Other than that, great looking build. Hope you get some enjoyment out of flying it. I've found that it works best on the high rates.

The props can be a little hard to get off, especially the first time. But they do come off. You should have spares in your kit too, so they are designed to pull off. Also, It looks like the horizontal stabilizer is on backwards. Other than that, great looking build. Hope you get some enjoyment out of flying it. I've found that it works best on the high rates.

Thanks again, Dan! I did manage to get the props off, then swapped and reversed them, and installed the EZ Power Pack this evening. I took the noisy little cuss into the garage (my wife was sleeping following a tooth extraction) and gave it a quick test, and I must have done something right, as I could feel some resistance due to differential thrust as I yawed the plane left and right.

I can't believe I put the tail on backwards - it seems so obvious now ;-) Oh well, I think it will still fly OK, - I'll report back, and if not, I know how to fix it.

BTW, I followed your lead and colored in a "canopy" with Sharpie, and them added some stripes with colored packing tape. Our 6-year-old grandson came over yesterday, and he fell in love with it! (it was still just a glider then,) and asked if it was his. I said sure, but I need to fix it up with propellers first, and then you can fly it. I can't wait to try it out in our backyard tomorrow, and then give it to him and show him how to fly it.

He seemed really amazed that his Opa was so clever as to create an airplane out of "nothing" all by himself (I can't thank you enough for that!,) and I'm going to make another one, but this time with him next to me helping me assemble it.

Attachments

• PXL_20201220_204228296 (1).jpg
    PXL_20201220_204228296 (1).jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201222_042859890.jpg
    PXL_20201222_042859890.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi again Dan. I cut out another set of part for your EZ Intruder Saturday evening, and then had our grandson over Sunday. He helped me put it together (this time I assembled the horizontal stab correctly) and added the EZ Power Pack parts... and it flew nicely! He really enjoyed helping me build and decorate the plane, and was delighted to see it actually fly, as was I.

Thanks again!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi again Dan. I cut out another set of part for your EZ Intruder Saturday evening, and then had our grandson over Sunday. He helped me put it together (this time I assembled the horizontal stab correctly) and added the EZ Power Pack parts... and it flew nicely! He really enjoyed helping me build and decorate the plane, and was delighted to see it actually fly, as was I.

Thanks again!
@Steve Rosenbach thanks for sharing the story. Really made my day. I hope you and your grandson get to share a lot of memories with it. So awesome!

Spitfire76

Hello Dan, would like to build this for my almost 3 year old grandson but his a bit young to have it enabled for RC so wondered if it could be flown as a chuck glider. If so do I need to add some more weight to the nose to maintain a good CG ?.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hello Dan, would like to build this for my almost 3 year old grandson but his a bit young to have it enabled for RC so wondered if it could be flown as a chuck glider. If so do I need to add some more weight to the nose to maintain a good CG ?.
Yes it will work as a chuck glider. Not sure how many pennies it will need in the nose. If you have some painters tape, tape it together with pennies in it to get the CG right. Then take the tape off and glue it all up. Let me know what you end up with.

RodneyD

hi sponz love the plane but i cant get mine to climb it just goes into a prolonged glide
What do you suggest i do to fix it?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
hi sponz love the plane but i cant get mine to climb it just goes into a prolonged glide
What do you suggest i do to fix it?
Honestly never had that experience. Make sure your props are on correctly and make sure your CG is correct (per @GrizWiz's suggestion move the battery position to adjust). Also make sure that the incidence angle on the horizontal stabilizer is correct.

RodneyD

thank you sponz and GrizWiz for your advice. it turns out that the problem was that the props where flipped the wrong way round (still producing forward thrust) so was only producing minimal forward thrust not optimal. after swapping them round it now flies amazingly
now cutting out a new one to try and use the servo that comes with the 3ch power pack and have an elevator