EZ Pack anyone ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am curious about the EZ Pack. I saw Josh's video with the Enterprise using the ez pack. I have a couple grandson's interested in rc planes. I would think this would be a great way to learn how to start flying. Does anyone know anything about the ez packs ? I looked in the Flite Test store and found nothing right now. Does anyone have any thoughts about the ez pack ?

Al

FDS

Elite member
They will get released when they are finished.
They look good, there’s similar micro aircraft control set ups available already, people fly indoor depron micro fliers lots of places. One of the guys in a neighbouring workshop unit to mine made a cool Concorde model out of a 15” pizza foam. It had two motors on the wing just like the FT ones and micro actuators and a receiver to do some control surfaces too.

Mr.Grinch

I want to get a few of these to put on some profile chuck glider warbirds like the ones John Overstreet has been working on. I think they should be a lot of fun for all ages and skill levels.

Last edited:

RedTwilight

I want a couple also to use and re-create the old Air Hogs Aero Ace bipes.

They were funnest little backyard planes for the money. My GF even enjoyed flying them.

Yendor

Thanks so much for posting this @FoamyDM! Setup looks identical. I noticed that there are two places for led lights that can be turned on/off via the remote, as well.

That Enterprise video really got me excited to build one so I ordered the BG plane. For those that can’t wait for the plans and want something to do, I found a top view of a Klingon Bird of Prey that inspired me to build from scratch:
https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/klingon-bird-of-prey-9-inch-xl-edition.
Scroll over a few pics to see and looks very similar to Josh’s minus the weapons...
Then I hand drew the profiles referencing the FT video and cut it all out. May be a bit larger tha Josh’s but it satisfied my craving! Too much fun!

FT Crew-thank you!!! I promise to still buy when available!

Last edited:

alan0043

Thanks so much for posting this Foamy! Setup looks identical. I noticed that there are two places for led lights that can be turned on/off via the remote, as well.

That Enterprise video really got me excited to build one so I ordered the BG plane. For those that can’t wait for the plans and want something to do, I found a top view of a Klingon Bird of Prey that inspired me to build from scratch:
https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/klingon-bird-of-prey-9-inch-xl-edition.
Scroll over a few pics to see and looks very similar to Josh’s minus the weapons...
Then I hand drew the profiles referencing the FT video and cut it all out. May be a bit larger tha Josh’s but it satisfied my craving! Too much fun!

FT Crew-thank you!!! I promise to still buy when available!

Hi Yendor,

When you get a chance can you post a picture of your build. It wouldn't be long before we are outside flying. I would love to build a foamy with the twin motor set-up.

Al

Yendor

Hey Al!

It will be a few days before I get the C-17 from BG. I do have the Bird of Prey together from foam board unpainted, if interested, but don’t have the dihedral implemented yet. No plans, as I kinda ‘winged’ it off of references from the FT video and the link I gave above.

I’m still trying to figure out the dihedral angle and how to implement. Thinking cutting the underside then hot glue and let dry on a piece of pipe which seems like what Josh did on the Enterprise. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also, I’m still learning how to cut smoothly as I still have some jagged edges.

I’d also would like to try anhedral (attack mode) as I believe you may have more control. Maybe v2!

Also, another nice project to try with the EZ Pack is the F4U Corsair from Sonic Dad that looks and flies nice. They charges a few bucks, but is really well done.

alan0043

Hey Al!

It will be a few days before I get the C-17 from BG. I do have the Bird of Prey together from foam board unpainted, if interested, but don’t have the dihedral implemented yet. No plans, as I kinda ‘winged’ it off of references from the FT video and the link I gave above.

I’m still trying to figure out the dihedral angle and how to implement. Thinking cutting the underside then hot glue and let dry on a piece of pipe which seems like what Josh did on the Enterprise. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also, I’m still learning how to cut smoothly as I still have some jagged edges.

I’d also would like to try anhedral (attack mode) as I believe you may have more control. Maybe v2!

Also, another nice project to try with the EZ Pack is the F4U Corsair from Sonic Dad that looks and flies nice. They charges a few bucks, but is really well done.

Thanks Yendor for posting the link. Cool looking planes. Could work with the EZ Pack.

Al

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I understood that Josh talked about the EZ Pack in the cub live video build. Do you folks think that the EAA Aviore Glider scaled down could work with the EZ Pack ? If so, what scale ? 50% down sized ? That's just a guess. I also understand from someone on line that the EZ Pack parts can come from a epp foam C-17.

Like to hear what you guys think.
Al

Yendor

Hey @alan0043

At about 27:26 of the Josh’s live build, he goes into the EZ Pack. Lo and behold he unveils a FT branded C-17 that is identical —from what I can tell— to the BG version that @FoamyDM mentions above.
I received mine and started to fiddle around with my rendition of the Bird of Prey. Working out some CG issues and got too late, but seems positive.

Do you have plans of the EAA Aviore Glider? Would love to see-seems hard to come by- but would imagine it would depend on weight, lift, and drag of the build. Heh, realize I should research that!

According to the box, the BG C-17 specs are:
Weight: 50g
Length: 400mm
Wingspan: 373mm
I weighed the plane foam and plastic parts - no glue, battery nor controller - and was about 29g so maybe that can be used as a starting point for qualification for other builds.

“Lettuce” know!

Yendor

I was missing one! Weight, lift, thrust and drag are the four factors for flight! I can’t quite tell yet the type of motors to judge thrust...
Edit: the motors are 716’s

alan0043

I was missing one! Weight, lift, thrust and drag are the four factors for flight! I can’t quite tell yet the type of motors to judge thrust...
Edit: the motors are 716’s

Hi Yendor,

Thank you so much for the info. I understand that there is no plans out there for the EAA Aviore Glider. The Aviore glider is based off the EZ Long with a different fuselage. I have printed out the plans for the EZ Long. I am trying to come up with what the fuselage might be for the Aviore glider.

Al

Yendor

I do like that glider, too.

Using Alex’s prototype shown here:
and judging by the photo of the EAA Aviore Glider you may have noticed it’s three horizontal wide at the front. On for the main with the ‘cockpit’ and then either side similar to the main. You may have to ‘wing it’ on the sides by modding the main part of the plans. I may have to give this a go after my Bird of Prey and F4U Corsair trials!