EZ Pack Plans Index

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
It took 7.5 grams in the nose to balance out in the form of 3 cents. AUW is now at 61 grams. 5-7 grams above the target weight but still within the max range that a few of you mentioned. Wondering if I could trade out a penny for some doublers on the nose area to strengthen it for those bumpy landings. Might try it in this config in the morning for the maiden test flight and add the doublers if I find it's too tail heavy.

PS - Mounted the doublers in the pic to foam with the paper left on. Oddly enough, they weigh 7.5 grams! Think I'll take out the pennies and add the double using the pennies for additional weight if needed.

20211022_224750.jpg

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
The maiden was...insightful. :unsure: Chuck glide was ok but even under full power it only flew as far as the chuck glider did. Just a gentle arc and it would nose in. So it's back to the drawing board. tried 4 battery positions. The swept-back skinny wings make CG a bear!
Battery.jpg

Rasterize

Mentor
Possible modifications: Move wing tips forward (lessen the sweep of the wing) and thicken the wing chord giving it more wing area. Add a carbon fiber or bamboo skewer to stiffen the fuse. Mod the doubler to surround wing and hollow out portions of the center sheet under the doubler to decrease weight and lower overall CG. Move all electronic back as it seemed to fly better with batter in the number 4 position as opposed to number 1. Increase distance of motors to increase yaw authority. Currently 6.5 inches apart. Reduce overall size of plane by 10% to reduce weight.

Rasterize

Mentor
Your board appears to be backwards, Steven. I think it should be batt plug forward, although, I've never tried it in your current config.

So why does it matter which way it goes? Is there some sort of stabilization on board that I am clueless about?

...And, more elevator, possibly.

This is only a two-channel set up. Sorry, no elevator. Unless you mean changing the angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer? We did cut friction elevators and tried that but no joy. it just acted tail-heavy at that point.

Also your thoughts on changing the wing as below. New on top, old on bottom.

1635020978039.png

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
So why does it matter which way it goes? Is there some sort of stabilization on board that I am clueless about?

This is only a two-channel set up. Sorry, no elevator. Unless you mean changing the angle of attack of the horizontal stabilizer? We did cut friction elevators and tried that but no joy. it just acted tail-heavy at that point.

View attachment 210359

that looks good. i like the little motor supports/pods. it was soooo close to flying today, i really thought we could get it to work. i think the redesign and reduction of 10% will make all the diff.

Scotto

Elite member

View attachment 210359
Ya that was a good catch by Addicted. There is an amazing amout of stabilization in the little thing. I think the board needs to be near the cg and on the left side of the fuse with the battery lead facing forward like he said. And the motors have to be on the correct sides. I like the modified wing. It may be a little more crash resistant. Looks good. Ive got an old hot wheels plane just like it with the Lufthansa paint.

How much difference does a simple airfoil make? I havent tried without it.

Rasterize

Mentor
...There is an amazing amout of stabilization in the little thing...

Seriously?!?! This cheap little thing have stabilization onboard? Is that documented? Sorry, I'm blown away by that. :eek:

...Ive got an old hot wheels plane just like it with the Lufthansa paint.

That's awesome! I used to have one as well.

...How much difference does a simple airfoil make? I havent tried without it.

I don't know. I did think I might want to iron the leading edges of the wing.

Marzipan

The maiden was...insightful. :unsure: Chuck glide was ok but even under full power it only flew as far as the chuck glider did. Just a gentle arc and it would nose in. So it's back to the drawing board. tried 4 battery positions. The swept-back skinny wings make CG a bear! View attachment 210346

is there not a system where you can place your craft on some sort of stand that lets you find the CG like an old fashioned scale?

Rasterize

Mentor
I modified and retested version 1 today: Changed the shape of the doublers to support the wing better, added a skewer to the fuse to increase strength, move motors two inches further apart to increase authority, added some up elevator manually, and also moved and installed Rx correctly (dang gyrostabilizer! Who knew it had one? lol). Got much longer and more controllable flights. Even got stuck in a tree! Now it's back to the drawing board to change the wing shape (less sweep and thicker cord) and reduce the model size by 10%, then start all over again! lol Thanks to @mrjdstewart for all the help. I forgot how much fun this can be!

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
dude, i completely forgot about the high rates! you probably would have been fine. duh!!!!! i'm so sorry.

even so, you got all the main points figured out. i bet next version flies like a dream. cant believe how stupid cool it looks in the air.

Stephen2.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

Rasterize

Mentor
What do you think of taking the motors and mounting them on the front of the engine pylons, flipping the props and making the 747 and the B58 tractor versions?