AgentC

Elite member
I'm going to start this post by stating the following:

THE EZ PACK V2 IS ABSOLUTELY INSANE!

I made the EZ Hornet as I absolutely love that little plane. It's the best chuck glider (doesn't need any added noseweight to balance and flies awesomely upside down too) and converts perfectly with the EZ pack for a lovely floatly experience.

Not so much on the v2 EZ Pack... That plane is a MONSTER (in a good way)!
On the absolute minimum throttle, it maintained level flight, and on full throttle, was a speed-demon (as much as an EZ pack can get) with instant acceleration and oodles of power. I honesly haven't had so much fun as I have with the EZ Pack since the days of the 3-channel variation.

PXL_20230516_004249991.jpg

In the meantime, I might look into some alternate props for forward facing engines (like my Bronco and EZ SParrow), but man-oh-man, do the new motors pack a punch.

Nice job, @flitetest! Maybe just slap a FT decal onto the v2 Transmitter for future orders...
v2 Transmitter Decal.png PXL_20230516_011719188.jpg

Last edited:

kdobson83

I bought my son an EZ Pack v1 last year at FF and it just has zero power. I built that exact same model you did and we couldn't turn it. It would struggle to gain altitude and as soon as we turned it would drop. I might have to take a second look into this v2. Hopefully they have plenty of these in stock at FF this year.

AgentC

Elite member
So after the success of the EZ Hornet, I have worked some more and now have what I term the UnEZ F18.
PXL_20230524_154510195.jpg

All up weight with battery comes in at 46g, so that's still acceptable by v1 standards, so we'll see how this fairs on the v2 EZ pack.
PXL_20230524_154506501.jpg

Will maiden on a non-windy day so that I have less chance of immediately destroying 5+ hours of work...
PXL_20230524_154520876.jpg PXL_20230524_154458285.jpg PXL_20230524_154439493.jpg PXL_20230524_154433341.jpg PXL_20230524_154427273.jpg PXL_20230524_154420299.jpg

If she flies, then I'll possibly throw a Canada 150 livery on.

AgentC

Elite member
She flew, so I added a whack-load of acrylic paint, because I like doing silly things, and low-and-behold, the thing still took off. She now flies like a V1 EZ-Pack plane now, maybe with a touch more power, but I'm still happy with that. With all the added weight, getting her airborne was an achievement in itself :)
Un-EZ F18 (Canada 150) - Maiden.gif

I'm not planning on flying this one other than on exceptionally calm days or if I ever get to fly in a huge indoor area.
PXL_20230528_235849845.jpg

PXL_20230528_235904936.jpg PXL_20230528_235859995.jpg PXL_20230528_235854046.jpg PXL_20230528_235856807.jpg

It's totally bizarre that I have an EZ plane that I have placed actual value on. But hey, it looks so pretty!

I also have another v2 EZ pack to play and experiment on, as well as a few other v1's that I'll carry on making versions of the Bronco, Sparrow or new designs with.

EXPERIMENT: SUCCESS!!!

Last edited:

Foamforce

I got a couple of these for my boys at FF and they certainly have plenty of power!

Did you have any trouble with rocking? When he’s flying straight and level, the plane rocks from side to side quickly. I’m guessing the gyro is over compensating. Any way to improve that?

Also, is the lift under throttle on these achieved entirely by thrust angle built into the motor mount, or is it reflex? We’re going to want to put the Ez pack on everything else now. 🙂

Thanks!

AgentC

Elite member
I got a couple of these for my boys at FF and they certainly have plenty of power!

Did you have any trouble with rocking? When he’s flying straight and level, the plane rocks from side to side quickly. I’m guessing the gyro is over compensating. Any way to improve that?

Also, is the lift under throttle on these achieved entirely by thrust angle built into the motor mount, or is it reflex? We’re going to want to put the Ez pack on everything else now. 🙂

Thanks!
I haven't had too much problem with rocking. Maybe add a touch of dihedral? That being said, the F18 doesn't have any and flies awesomely...
When I get a gap, I'll throw the v2's onto the Pint Jet to see if it does any rocking...

There is definitely reflex added to get the right thrust angle on most of the models I've made. I have found that's much easier than getting exact motor thrust degrees on such small models...

Hello,
I have made EZ canard with V2 power pack, it needs 4grms weight at the noze.

The AUW weight is 62grms.

Has anyone had the same issue with CG balance. Because in the build video there is no need for extra nose weight.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_020134.jpg
    IMG_20231022_020134.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Fired up my EZ Pack V2 last night for the first time. Getting ready for build/ indoor fly season.

LB

Buckeye95

So after the success of the EZ Hornet, I have worked some more and now have what I term the UnEZ F18.
View attachment 237719

All up weight with battery comes in at 46g, so that's still acceptable by v1 standards, so we'll see how this fairs on the v2 EZ pack.
View attachment 237720

Will maiden on a non-windy day so that I have less chance of immediately destroying 5+ hours of work...
View attachment 237718 View attachment 237721 View attachment 237722 View attachment 237723 View attachment 237724 View attachment 237725

If she flies, then I'll possibly throw a Canada 150 livery on.
Looks great!

Are the only changes from the standard EZ plans the addition of the engine ducting and slight cockpit window upgrades?

AgentC

Elite member
Looks great!

Are the only changes from the standard EZ plans the addition of the engine ducting and slight cockpit window upgrades?
In essence, yup.

I also sanded all the edges on the fuselage, wings and stabilizers, then went overboard and painted it excessively.

The additions do make it look a whole lot better, for only a tiny bit of added weight. The power pack v2's can easily handle that.

I liked it so much that I took the electronics out after a few flights and have it as a wall-piece now.
PXL_20230527_202000858.jpg PXL_20230528_235849845.jpg

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Purchased the EZ Jets and the EZ power pack at FF23 back in June for my grandson's Christmas present. Just built the ME262 to test out the power pack and noticed that when the throttle is at zero the motors spin up rapidly when moving the aileron sticks left or right. Is that normal behavior ?

AgentC

Elite member
Unfortunately that is normal behavior for their 2-channel system. If you throttle up very slightly, you'll see a much better steering differential from the respective motors.

Only the (now-discontinued) 3-channel pack had that true differential where you could activate only individual motors for steering (and I really liked the elevator feature, too).

It's really something I feel @flitetest need to fix/upgrade, so that you can glide and steer EZ pack planes on zero throttle.
And then change the colour of the right motor mount from blue to green for STEM introduction into navigation lights... That one I honestly can't believe wasn't in place from the outset with the v2 system...

Purchased the EZ Jets and the EZ power pack at FF23 back in June for my grandson's Christmas present. Just built the ME262 to test out the power pack and noticed that when the throttle is at zero the motors spin up rapidly when moving the aileron sticks left or right. Is that normal behavior ?

Spitfire76

Unfortunately that is normal behavior for their 2-channel system. If you throttle up very slightly, you'll see a much better steering differential from the respective motors.

Only the (now-discontinued) 3-channel pack had that true differential where you could activate only individual motors for steering (and I really liked the elevator feature, too).

It's really something I feel @flitetest need to fix/upgrade, so that you can glide and steer EZ pack planes on zero throttle.
And then change the colour of the right motor mount from blue to green for STEM introduction into navigation lights... That one I honestly can't believe wasn't in place from the outset with the v2 system...
Thanks for confirming its normal as I wasn't sure if it was something wrong with my stabilizer board.

I did create a workaround on my TX16s by adding a logical switch that's activated when the throttle is -100% which in turn triggers a special function to override the aileron channel to 0. Its also activated with the throttle cut switch. Of course it does not solve the problem when using the EX TX but to start off with I'll use my TX16s/T8 Lite buddy box solution to teach my grandson.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
I picked up the EZ Pack V1 and was disappointed with the motor/prop. Just got the new motor/prop and it has opened up a new door to experiment with new designs. Already have Easy Peasy's maiden flight under my belt and now exploring my flying wing( trying a larger wing area).

Trying my version of a double boom since AgentC got a bronco flying. Hardest part of flying the models is unlearning your old 4 channel transmitter and adapting to the tx that has only throttle and rudder, especially when throttle is at the lower end and you apply rudder. Notice what happens when I am doing a right turn. It speed up and only dinged the nose.

Spitfire76

Does anyone know if the battery on the EZ power pack V2 is protected from being over discharged ? Only I would hope that it cuts power if it detects the battery is getting close to the 3.3v mark.

On another note I checked and it does have a failsafe mechanism as the throttle is cut if signal is lost.