F-100 Super Sabre 1/8th Build (70")

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Between the cnc project and summer (ie 104f outside and slightly cooler in my shop) i just havent been working on as much in my shop.

thenated0g

Mentor
Been working in the shop again, took like a 4 month break from the hobby. Started thinking about why i hadnt finished a couple project. Meanwhile i had a IG user tell me i should move the f-100 to slope soaring and it got me thinking. Plus i had another friend post a question online of weather or not he should sell all his FPV gear or keep it as he only does sloping. So basically where im at is that i have no interest in powered or fpv anymore at all. And just thinking about slope soaring the jet was all i needed to get back in the project. So started working on the canopy last night, just testing some ideas with soda bottles and a heat gun. The 2L bottles are too small to do the entire thing but it let me test it a little. Now just need to find some bigger bottles or do a vacuum forming rig if i cant.

Quick video of the process here:

IMG_20190214_074017.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
At one point I started thinking that I wanted to build dlgs instead of powered planes, after a week I came right back to powered, I do still have interest in dlgs though. Also, I wonder what slope soaring fpv would be like 😉?

thenated0g

Mentor
Removed all the electronics, was about 1.3kg of weight dropping it down to about 4kg. One interesting thing was its actually nose heavy, I had to add about 100g to the tail to get it to balance on cg. I have some more ideas to remove weight from the front so i may be able to drop the total weight down to around 3.8kg. Also i just wasn't interested in spending a bunch of time at the moment getting the canopy how i wanted it (see thru canopy) so i just put some aluminium tape over it for now.

Also got it all bound to my radio and setup for maiden over the May 4th weekend slope event down in Sunset beach California.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3155414-6th-annual-Sunset-State-Beach-Camp-n-Fly!!
IMG_20190224_143446.jpg IMG_20190224_150103.jpg IMG_20190224_152450.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Fun! Never been sloping but hope it works out!nn
almost really screwed up. When i did the cg calculations i did it based on the leading edges meeting, like flying wing, but when i measured on my plane i did it from where the leading edge hits the fuselage...that would have been bad lol

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
She is such a pretty plane... help me wrap my head around this.... slope concept.

You took off the motor and esc, and are preparing to throw it off the top of a cliff with no thrust beyond the initial throw? :unsure:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
almost really screwed up. When i did the cg calculations i did it based on the leading edges meeting, like flying wing, but when i measured on my plane i did it from where the leading edge hits the fuselage...that would have been bad lol

Ouch! Yeah, that could have been bad! Good luck with the maiden!

thenated0g

Mentor
She is such a pretty plane... help me wrap my head around this.... slope concept.

You took off the motor and esc, and are preparing to throw it off the top of a cliff with no thrust beyond the initial throw? :unsure:

Yes it is strange, and awesome. You have to remember that the wind is not coming straight on like when you have a propeller, the wind is coming up from below the wing lifting it up. The calculated stall speed on this huge plane is only 19mph as well, as its pretty light.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes it is strange, and awesome. You have to remember that the wind is not coming straight on like when you have a propeller, the wind is coming up from below the wing lifting it up. The calculated stall speed on this huge plane is only 19mph as well, as its pretty light.

That looks pretty freaking awesome! Would love to get to a sloping event someday... (y)

thenated0g

Mentor
This will be my first group event, i have only been out once with other people and it was just 3 of us. Its put on by Wayne, the owner of Alofthobbies.com. He says its like a mini flitetest for sloping. I think they had 40 people last year. Just camp over the weekend and fly off a nice hill about a block from the camp sites.
IMG_20190216_113930.jpg IMG_20190216_114248.jpg

Sunset State Beach, california. May 4-5 2018 is the dates.

thenated0g

Mentor
Some final pictures as i check cg "one more time" before this weekends maiden where a couple strangers are going to throw this off a cliff and we see what happens :)
IMG_20190430_063245.jpg IMG_20190430_062739.jpg IMG_20190430_062629.jpg IMG_20190430_062430.jpg IMG_20190430_061432.jpg IMG_20190430_061408.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Nate, awesome. Beat wishes on her maiden.
To help get the mojo vibe happening:
Here is circa 2003 mention of the late UK PSS designer/builder/flyer Terry Lidstone’s super-cool F-100D in 1/12th scale:
https://www.pssaonline.co.uk/2005/10/27/power-scale-soaring-part-7/
Thanks, love that website. I see he used obechi wood to cover, i have been on the look out for that for a while. Hard to get at a reasonable price or just hard to find in general i guess.

thenated0g

Mentor
Maidened!
IMG_20190502_214225.jpg IMG_20190504_111156.jpg

Was stressing pretty hard but had to wait for the wind to get above 15mph based off discussions with other youtubers that had done similar maidens. I think the wind was around 19mph on first flight. Next was i think 17 and the last was around 20. Wayne had told me i should protect the under mounted servo and linkage but i didnt have time and yep, it ripped out at one point, but easy fix. No major damage from any of the "landings". Heres the rcgroups event thread. One of the flyers wives got a bunch of amazing dslr photos which should be going up soon: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...
If you want to watch the entire playlist of me building it, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...