F-104 Starfighter -70mm EDF

Vimana89

Legendary member
For a plane that had notoriously sketchy handling at full scale, yours handles beautifully! I've always liked the f104. I'm considering taking a crack at a small prop version some time, and a profile plane with a prop in slot is sounding like the lightest and most practical approach, though I could build a basic box fuselage just as easily. Any advice?

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
For a plane that had notoriously sketchy handling at full scale, yours handles beautifully! I've always liked the f104. I'm considering taking a crack at a small prop version some time, and a profile plane with a prop in slot is sounding like the lightest and most practical approach, though I could build a basic box fuselage just as easily. Any advice?

You're right, the F-104 is a very sketchy handling plane. The only way I could get around it was by making the wings a little bit larger than scale and keeping the build light. I think I increased the size of my design 3 times in total. The real trick is to keep the wing loading as low as possible.

Sheriff

Great work !
I am always impressed when someone is able to simplify the shape of an iconic aircraft to make it easier to build, to fly and to repair while still capturing the original beauty of the beast.
Well done sir.

Sheriff

What software have you used ?
Could you send me a screenshot of your 3D model with some mesured lenght?
I would try to create a 2 seater canopy.
thanks !

PoorManRC

Master member
You're right, the F-104 is a very sketchy handling plane. The only way I could get around it was by making the wings a little bit larger than scale and keeping the build light. I think I increased the size of my design 3 times in total. The real trick is to keep the wing loading as low as possible.
As a second generation USAF Pilot, I chuckled at the thought of "low Wing Loading" and F-104!! 😆😂
But the video doesn't lie...

Much respect and admiration for this Gem!! 👍👍
The real ones ONLY flew with a tremendous overkill of power to weight ratio.
I wouldn't have even attempted one, without a 6S, and a small nozzle 80 or 90mm EDF!!
And would have to fly VERY fast....

I swear, FliteTest never ceases to amaze me!

Zephyr1

Elite member
What software have you used ?
Could you send me a screenshot of your 3D model with some mesured lenght?
I would try to create a 2 seater canopy.
thanks !

So I have some bad news... I don't use 3D software to design my planes. I use Inkscape to design my builds and as such I don't have a 3D model. I can try to give you some measured lengths if you'd like though.

A 2 seater version sounds fantastic though! I can't wait to see it!

Zephyr1

Elite member
As a second generation USAF Pilot, I chuckled at the thought of "low Wing Loading" and F-104!! 😆😂
But the video doesn't lie...

Much respect and admiration for this Gem!! 👍👍
The real ones ONLY flew with a tremendous overkill of power to weight ratio.
I wouldn't have even attempted one, without a 6S, and a small nozzle 80 or 90mm EDF!!
And would have to fly VERY fast....

I swear, FliteTest never ceases to amaze me!

Thank you! And much respect to a USAF Pilot! I needed to get it viable with a 4S, but I'm 100% gonna be trying it on 6S soon. My only concern with 6S is that if I do that, there's not gonna be any going back lol.

Sheriff

No problem,
I would simply need the size (diameter or circonference) of the fuselage + the 2 circles of the nose and the distance between them.

Wait, how do you design round shapes in InkScape? trial and error ? Than your results are even more impressive.

You could also take a picture of your built model (using a bit of zoom to reduce optical distortion) with a ruler next to it and that could work too.

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
No problem,
I would simply need the size (diameter or circonference) of the fuselage + the 2 circles of the nose and the distance between them.

Wait, how do you design round shapes in InkScape? trial and error ? Than your results are even more impressive.

You could also take a picture of your built model (using a bit of zoom to reduce optical distortion) with a ruler next to it and that could work too.

The circumference of the fuselage is 16in, the first nose is 13.5in and the second is 8in. The distance between the fuse and the first cone is 4.5in and first and second cone is 5.5in.

It's not trial and error, I have a method by which I can stitch the side and top view together to make sure the whole body is covered and yet still curved. I've tried explaining it before but I generally butcher it lol.

Sheriff

Perfect !

Ok, last question, I promise.

Please give me the the distance from tip of the nose to the intakes and overall lenght from nose to exhaust (don't include the stabilizers).

merci

Zephyr1

Elite member
Perfect !

Ok, last question, I promise.

Please give me the the distance from tip of the nose to the intakes and overall lenght from nose to exhaust (don't include the stabilizers).

merci

From the tip of the nose to the intake is 24in, and the overal length is 58.5in. However, I'm planning on adding an exhaust cone so that will add 4in to the tail.

Sheriff

I have created a 3D shape from your measurements in Google Sketchup, but only started the work on the canopy.
Will keep you posted with the progress and send screenshots soon.

Ciao

Sheriff

Voila,

Try it on and let me know how it fits.

(the printing might be a challenge since the shape is around 18" long.)

Attachments

• F-104-T.svg
    20.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F-104-T.pdf
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
  • sCREENSHOT.PNG
    sCREENSHOT.PNG
    114.6 KB · Views: 0

Sheriff

Not just yet, I've got a newer version of the Starfighter all cut out and I'm waiting to assemble that one before I try out the new two seater canopy.

Will it still fit ? Was the nose section modified in this newer version?