Custom F-117 "FliteHawk" Foam Board Build

Aero_Knight

So I have gotten this far with my non detailed prototype build of an F-117 Nighthawk. Not glued and without the correct final bends hence the foam showing on the edges but I think it’s getting there. It isn’t perfect but I am currently debating on how to power it as it will dictate how I finish the tail section. I was originally going to make it big enough to house two small 30 or 40mm EDFs but my initial hand sketch template came out smaller than I imagined it would be although I kind of like the 17” length scale. So I am thinking of putting a mini swappable frame as part of the tail section and make it a push prop. Elevon setup and I am tempted to also use the vectoring frame to get some rudder control. Thoughts? Access to electronics will be via a bomb bay hatch style door.

UPDATE: (9-27-18):
So I spent some time modeling the design in CAD shown below and I have a much better picture of how to put together the now dubbed "FliteHawk". It will use a set of split surfaces with a special linkage to allow four servos to control the surfaces and provide pitch, roll and yaw control. An example of the setup is below but somewhat exaggerated and missing a tensioner. The rods sit on the middle links not through them...yet.

CAD Design:
Top View.png

Bottom View.png

Rear View.png

X-Ray.png

Linkage Examples:
Servo Example (No Rudder).png

Servo Example (With Rudder).png

Prototype Images:
BD95E64A-F2B2-4328-9BFD-5F75EE2C83A5.jpeg FFC0BB23-CA00-49DB-8780-BC696376D6AE.jpeg 196829_1df5484d45ac23650f70bb29747439e5.jpeg

Last edited:

Aero_Knight

Added the full size swappable frame and non-actuating tail to see how it looks. I think it may work out like this. Need to add the bay access door on the underside and figure out servo locations for elavons. Actually, I want to make them split flaps to get some yaw authority. The wing is double layered so I can have four servos with each powering an individual surface. What I am not sure is how to implement it on the transmitter side. I have a Futaba T6EXP transmitter but I don’t think there is a setting to be able to do what I want. I’ll have to go manual diving later unless someone has an idea.
37428654-808C-40C1-ACB7-3ED9BC0219AD.jpeg

Aero_Knight

Updated the main post with new images and information. I like the new design I put into CAD and it is slightly bigger and cleaner to build than my original prototype. It is setup to have a pusher standard size swappable setup. You just have to trim the pods a bit and tinker with the tail section but in theory you can do it. I haven't decided how to implement my original dual mini EDF setup but I plan to do that at some point. Still need to place the servo holes and cable pass through holes/channels but I think another day would provide enough time to implement it. Inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Aero_Knight

So I found out that the intakes were almost the perfect size to allow for mini power pod firewalls. I extended them out and got the following look (Ignore the hole patterns, not accurate). Still need to tweak the width but I think it looks kind of cool. When I post the plans, I think I will make this an option as small 3-4" props would be perfect for a twin engine pusher using the mini power packs. The main design is sized for a 6" prop at the center. Its the largest that would still clear the tail with a design that scaled nicely to the real plane. I also added bbq rods at the leading edges to help protect and stiffen the wings. The split surface design still needs tweaking but I have built the 2nd prototype and just need to install the servos to test out my concept.

Rear View Mount.png

Colored View.png

Aero_Knight

Learning somewhat from this second prototype build. Added skewers to keep a weak looking area stiff. Didn’t realize that 5g servos were what came in the PP-F kit. But they work out nicely. The horns however are being difficult with how I need the linkages to be. I already split one so hopefully I can be more careful next time. What I may do is forgo split rudder control until later.

80213005-BEA7-4B6F-BCFA-4C198D9D8E0F.jpeg
4B340398-89BE-4A9B-8CFC-80388E49E053.jpeg