F-14 Tomcat Air to Air

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
THAT was an awesome flight. Specially the parts where you are trailing low and inside of the turns in a perfect position to strike. Staying close enough for a shot but not so close a quick change by the other pilot fakes you out or makes you lose sight. Great flying mate.

FPVAirCombat

Thank you guys! I barely kept pace as I pegged power at full while the Tomcat only went half throttle. It was a slow flight exercise for him, except when going vertical. I minimized/smooth out my turns and cut corners and still could not catch up. It’s energy management exercise for me. So much fun seeing the Tomcat maneuver though, almost recreating combat scenes from TOP GUN. If only I was flying another jet...

JeromeAu

Comment for Robert Liao (motionsic) Pilot for PC-21, Is the canopy on or off? As I looking to FPV my PC-9 my self. and yours looks good. PS nice work on the cockpit to.

Attachments

• PC-9-colour-web.png
    PC-9-colour-web.png
    666.7 KB · Views: 0

FPVAirCombat

Canopy was off in above video. Visual clarity suffers a bit with canopy on - for dogfight every little bit counts.

Below is a video with canopy on for comparison. Ok to fly under, not great for dogfight/formation work as clear plastic is not distortion free.

Also the setup with NACA duct/ canopy cutout to provide cooling for VTX:

JeromeAu

Thank you its given me food for thought. At the moment I'm designing the cockpit to print up on the 3D printer, as well as the graphics for the instruments.

shadeyB

Legendary member
This time, dogfight across the ages of quintessential fighters: Spitfire vs Tomcat. Winner is not what you would expect...

love it 😂
as much as tomcat looks sweet, should have been more shots of Spitfire as thus is the best fighter ever 😂🤪😍
great video , I tried it once and dam you make it look easy . Love the target view

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah them are cool. You have them aligned with your FPV set up near perfectly. I was sitting in my gaming chair watching your videos flying with you using the flight controls mounted to my chair and squeezing the trigger for you when you had good alignment.

Do you take off and land FPV or do you pull your goggles and do that LOS? If you land in FPV I am REALLY impressed. That cant be easy with the distorted edges of the camera lens to get that super low distance to be able to flare so perfectly.

FPVAirCombat

That’s the way to watch this video, on a large screen with good speakers. You can see the Tomcat so much easier. My field of view in the goggles is very immersive like watching 100” screen.

And yes, I do my entire FPV flights from takeoff to landing under goggles every flight, since my first FPV flight. No exceptions. Gotta admit, most of my Spitfire flare are not as pretty as this one. I prefer doing wheel landings to avoid bounces, which happens often with nose high attitude but not quite three pointer.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Flight videos look really cool when you have a projector connected to your computer and can watch them like a movie theater hehe.

FPVAirCombat

Well, I have finally done it! Popped the cherry on flying head-tracking FPV on a EDF jet. And with the DJI FPV to boot. Not my plane and was a steep learning curve. First flight was LOS to get to know the FW L-39. Speed really took some getting use to. Second flight was FPV trial by fire and man was the view gorgeous. Third flight went directly to FPV chasing the F-14 also belonging to Alex. Don’t know what he was smoking trusting me with two planes. There were indeed some close calls. My fingers were shaking, nonstop...

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
Well, I have finally done it! Popped the cherry on flying head-tracking FPV on a EDF jet. And with the DJI FPV to boot. Not my plane and was a steep learning curve. First flight was LOS to get to know the FW L-39. Speed really took some getting use to. Second flight was FPV trial by fire and man was the view gorgeous. Third flight went directly to FPV chasing the F-14 also belonging to Alex. Don’t know what he was smoking trusting me with two planes. There were indeed some close calls. My fingers were shaking, nonstop...

Man, I wish I could get that picture with my fatshark goggles...gonna need to to pop for the DJI...