F-18 LED Afterburners

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Looking to make your EDF jet just a tad more realistic in the air? Watch Josh Bixler modify this Hobby King F18 by adding flames to the afterburners! No... not real ones. But they look pretty darn real! With less than $20 in parts you can do this simple modification too. Enjoy!

attachment.php

nuketown

Looking to make your EDF jet just a tad more realistic in the air? Watch Josh Bixler modify this Hobby King F18 by adding flames to the afterburners! No... not real ones. But they look pretty darn real! With less than $20 in parts you can do this simple modification too. Enjoy!

see_article.png

Hey

I just wanted to know what I need to split my batteries power into 2- so I can also power the brushed ESC.

Oh, and how can I get the wires extruding the ESC to split into two, for the two strips of LED's?

Thanks!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
This is a soldering job, unfortunately you sound like you are not familiar with this.

But, Both ESC power cables would go soldered into the same connector, positive (red) to positive, and negative (black) to negative.

As for the led strips, you need extra strips of cable, you solder them together (positive to positive, and negative to negative) to the motor cables from the ESC. Then you solder one positive cable and one negative cable to each strip.

Hope this helps :)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah the suggested point of soldering...
You won´t get around that in this case.

I also just wanted to through in the word of making an adapter for this, so that you don´t have to permanently use the lights to save some battery time. On the other hand you´d have some extra weight unused. So that is up to you. If you have any further questions about what to solder where, just ask.

nuketown

Hey guys

I do know how to solder. :eek:

Anyways- do you just mean solder the input wires from the Brushed ESC to the cables into the input wires into the ESC?

Thanks allot for your help.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yes!

The red go together to once cable and the tho grounds go together. So they are running of one battery parallel

Fishbonez

Hi all, I am considering this as an addition to my stinger however I can not find the fiberglass strands or something similar. Any sugestions or a link? :confused:
Thanks in advance

Fishbonez

Thanks colorex I did not think to try that. Unfortunatly I do not know what a buddycode is but its cheap stuff so...

Fishbonez

Well unfirtunatly none of these items are in the US Warehouse. This is to bad now I have to think of something to add weight what do I need HMMMMM

Fishbonez

Hunh thanks colorex. Still a bit confusing but then I am a slow learning, 6th grade educated type guy. :) But I think I get the jist

Fishbonez

Ahh perfect thanks Colorex now I get the joy of soldering. I hate soldering :mad:

Anyone else done this mod? Would love to see some pics.

wingspan100

5k FB Friends Airshowrc
I think Orange is the best color for Afterburner.
I've seen guys use red and it just doesn't look right.

John Campbell

Great idea.... Will really work nice at night... Hope the Brushed ESC doesn't put out too much voltage to pop the LED's

Fishbonez

I put it on my Stinger 64 and it looks great however t did create a lot of drag at least with my model had to up to a 4 cell just to get hr in the air. Not sure why but it did non the less. Does look really cool in the sky though and yes definitly orange it does look like fire

Fishbonez

Hey Chad,
Noticed the schematic is no longer on this thread. Anyone know what might have happened to it. :confused: Wanted to refere a person to the thread as to how to hook up an afterburner mod but no good if you cant see the wiring diagram, Any help anyone may have would be appreciated.