F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

ncbcastro

Hi,

Josh or anyone else...can you please give me the AUW for the planes you built using the 2 types of brushless motors suggested in your videos (Park300 and 24gr) so I can compare to my build to make sure im not overweight.

Great work. Thanks.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
motor selection

Hello . In my mind when in doubt go big I have a 17 inch with a motor that makes 700+ grams of thrust . I like to have enough power to climb vertical . But that's Just me .

jamiedco

Prop Killer
i read on another forum that the edf doesn't give enough power and if i recall correctly also give some or other control issue

Orcoz

First scratch build for my son and I and we had a blast. I'm going to post our experience over in the "Gift of Flight" topic though... :)

i read on another forum that the edf doesn't give enough power and if i recall correctly also give some or other control issue

Dial in some expo and trim and it flys just great. Even does vertical. Not say'n there's anything wrong with the prop version...I have one of those too. But it's kinda cool hearing that thing zoom past when you do a fly by.

http://youtu.be/KGNGQ_a2Usg

Either way you go, these are quite fun to fly.

ncbcastro

Hello . In my mind when in doubt go big I have a 17 inch with a motor that makes 700+ grams of thrust . I like to have enough power to climb vertical . But that's Just me .

Greetings to SA (my homeland)... So what motor did you use? I can't make it out on the photos you posted.

jackparz101

hey i am new to RC planes and i am going to build the raptor. i ordered the parts and i was wondering how i control the plane. i know a remote control, but do i ave to buy one or does it come with one of the parts

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
hey i am new to RC planes and i am going to build the raptor. i ordered the parts and i was wondering how i control the plane. i know a remote control, but do i ave to buy one or does it come with one of the parts

Hi jackparz!

To control our planes we use "radios" also called "transmitters" or "Tx" for short. In toy-grade stuff, the transmitter you get will be integrated just to that toy plane. But in Hobby-grade stuff, you can get a better transmitter that you can use with many different planes.

The choice is very hard to do. If you're just planning on making the Raptor, then you don't need such a big deal of transmitter. Then this would be enough:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

That Transmitter comes in a box with one of the things you need - a receiver. The receiver listens to the signals from the transmitter, and gives them to the servos, and motor for your plane.

If you are planning to get more planes, and build more stuff, I'd strongly recommend a programmable transmitter, such as the FlySky 9X, or the Spektrum DX6i (which I use).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_1_v2_Firmware_.html

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM6610

You can use these transmitters on different planes, and you just need to switch models on the transmitter and all your plane configuration will be loaded for that plane.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
Greetings to SA (my homeland)... So what motor did you use? I can't make it out on the photos you posted.

hello . it is a gws cf2812 from hk . i still havent flown it has been a bit windy with the cold front . but i have been flying my other planes. IMAG0232.jpg IMAG0236.jpg

jamiedco

Prop Killer
it was the first time using it this morning but it seems to work fine . i was a bit worried about the tricopter

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Can't you make those side pockets like choppers have? That could fit a transmitter box, or a tricopter...

ncbcastro

Thanks Jamiedco!!! So how long your orders taking from Hobbyking to SA? Do you have any customs issues? I might be in SA in August and would like to build something for my nephews while im there so if there isn't many issues i'd order the stuff direct to them instead of taking it from here.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
my order took 8 working days . and the customs vat was a bit steep . but other wise no problems . apparently there is a hobbyking shop front in pretoria . unfortunately thats a bit far for me to go on the bike . so i havent been yet . i wana make a plan and head out there one day to see what its all about

jelofson

Great F-22 flight today

Just got back from flying this bad boy today at lunch. Winds were calm and I got my CG right! Thing flew great! Love the sound. Love the way it looks in the air. Such a great plane! Had to trim a bit to the right. Maybe due to motor torque. Not sure.

Using the Hextronik 24gm 1300 kv
GWS 8043 prop
12amp plush ESC
500 3s (and an 800 3S)
Turnigy 9gm servos. (TG9E?)

I added carbon fibre spars to each wing leading edge and under the wing (longest span). The spar under the wing adds lots of strength when launching.

Thanks Flitetest for showing me how to build this thing!