F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
0211131555.jpg

Just finished my build, finished my power supply yesterday, charged my battery....and it's super windy and gusty. Maiden flight must wait. When is it not windy in Ohio, though.

Hextronic 24g 1300kv motor
500mah 3s 20c
2 turnigy 9x servos
Props I have are a 8x3.8sf and a 7x6..We'll see what each does.
Red Brick 30amp esc.
Two much ESC, But I am thinking of the future...maybe.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Maiden flight ended...as expected :) Got a couple "flights" in, very windy though. The result was I need to do a new nose and reattach a control horn...or just build another one for $1.00. Pics of the busted up plane.
0214131233.jpg 0214131233a.jpg

MrClean

Straighten it up and fly it some more. It takes NO TIME to make em look like this. It takes quite a bit to make them un-airworthy, but it doesn't take that long. Wear it out completely and have a new one standing by. Another one. A Better one. One that is only a flight away from looking like this one.

Oh, and lay that tape on before you paint next time. It sticks fairly well and hides the joint.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Oh, no worries...It flew several times with the squidward nose...the lack of control horn on the elevon is what made me call it quits for the day:) And the annoying Ohio winds!

I will make more, crash more, repeat often!. That's the great part of these foamboard projects!

khensley

It sure does. Good thing I reinforced the nose. I took a dive today trying to fly inverted. Like a lawn dart stuck out of the ground Nothing but a dirty nose was the outcome. My rolls are not as tight as I would like them to be.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Welp, crashed it a few times....going to build another, but going to play with the FT flyer a bit...It was doing great, then smacked it on the roof! Oops! LOL. the great thing is I can move this stuff from one airframe to another on a whim, change the program on the radio, and go fly something else. And crashes are no big deal. But I do need a bigger flying space, it's ok for the heli, but the planes take up the space really quickly!

Hi guy, long time reader, first time poster...... for now :)

I just have a quick question in regards to the electronics setup with this plane. I have a 2404 1900Kv motor, 9x4.7 Slow Fly props and a 500mah "2S" battery and a 25A ESC, these are all just bits I have laying around and I was wondering if these components will work with ease or should I go with the Hextronic 1300Kv motor with an 7x4 or 7x6 prop and a 500mah "3S" battery as stated in earlier posts??

Regards Knights.

khensley

I'm using a Turnigy 2730 1500kv, 12A esc, with a 8x4.3 prop. That's what I had laying around. Works just fine for me. Oh I'm using 2 and 3s 460 nano tech lipos.

So over the weekend I managed to somewhat finish my plane, I'm just waiting my servo's and esc to arrive but this is what I have so far.

I'm using:

C2404 1900Kv outrunner (hobbyking) I had it laying around
Zippy Flightmax 500mah battery
2 Turnigy 9g servos (waiting on shipment)
25A ESC (waiting on shipment)
7x5 Prop

And this is what she looks like with a lick of paint :)

IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG

Hopefully all my goodies will arrive before the week is out so I can take her for a test flight over the weekend

MrClean

Nice looking. Make sure and run a bead of glue down the verticals to reinforce them. I forgot and bumped them on the way to the field on New Years Day. Luckily, as usual, there was a hot glue gun at the field going (forgot mine) and it was repaired quickly. Yours looks pretty awesome. Don't know what you did with the bottom, but if it's the same color, it gets hard to see. Mine looks the same top and bottom. I've got a few years of flying and have more then once pulled up and watched it go the wrong way. That's exciting.

haha yes I can imagine that it would be rather exciting MrClean. I'll see if I can get a photo up of the bottom of the plane, it's pretty much the same colour beside the runners which are black.

IMG_0437.JPG

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I used aluminum tape designed to be used for home heating systems on the top so not be confused. Oh and the radio and electronics will be here on the 6th so I guess it's time to get this one finished up, since i scavaged it for parts

khensley

I beat mine to death. Still running strong. The paper from the dollar tree foam board is starting to come off because I'll fly it in the early morning. Dollar tree foam board doesn't like to be wet. I'm going to build another one covered in colored packing tape. I'll post updates on the venture.

Sounds good khensley, I'm going to put together my second one today while I wait for my electronics to arrive but I just got word from Hobbyking that it could take up to 45 days before I see them :-( I really hope it doesn't take anywhere near that amount of time.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I beat mine to death. Still running strong. The paper from the dollar tree foam board is starting to come off because I'll fly it in the early morning. Dollar tree foam board doesn't like to be wet. I'm going to build another one covered in colored packing tape. I'll post updates on the venture.

Remove the paper first. I forget the name of it, but I bought a spray cleaner from Dollar Tree, that went on the foam, and the paper just peeled off. (I think it had the word Orange in it) I wonder how well iron film would work for the bare foam...

khensley

Remove the paper first. I forget the name of it, but I bought a spray cleaner from Dollar Tree, that went on the foam, and the paper just peeled off. (I think it had the word Orange in it) I wonder how well iron film would work for the bare foam...
The xtreme packing tape sticks the bare foam. I might use that and paint it. worth a try.