F-22 Raptor Scratch Build

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
im an RC Plane noob. i am on hobby king, i am about to order the turnigy 2730 brushless motor 1500kv and i want to know if i can get a 12 amp speed control instead of the 18 amp one. it says it pulls about 10A. im going to be running an 8x4 prop on it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8618__turnigy_2730_brushless_motor_1500kv.html

If you put an 8" prop on this motor, with a 12 amp esc, you'll burn out either the motor, or the esc, possibly both.

The motor is rated for a 7" or smaller prop.

The larger the prop diameter, generally the more "thrust" you're getting out of it. But pitch plays a factor too. The further apart the numbers are, the more thrust you'll get (9x3 for example) but you'll get less speed. The closer, more speed, but less thrust. (5x5 as another example) The bigger the prop is, the more amps it's going to cause the motor to draw.

Chad has mentioned he builds around the prop. So if you want that 8x4 prop, find a motor that lists something in that size.

stevevm

I've been flying one of these F22s for a while now and have a couple of questions. First, the plane flies quite well and is a lot of fun. I have two problems however. First, when i crash, it always goes in nose first and crumples it. I usually get a few crashes before I have to cut the fuselage out and replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build a stronger one that is more crash resistant.

The other question is the my plane seems slightly underpowered. I'm flying a Turnigy D2826-10 1400kv motor with a 25 amp esc on a 800 mah 2S battery and an 8x4 prop. I've attached this to a watt meter and it is pulling about 9 amps and generating about 75-80 watts. What can I do to increase the power? Bigger prop? Better battery?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Bigger kv motor smaller prop...... If your building the nose out of a few sheets of board add a couple carbon rods in between the sheets.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Specs on that motor are 21A max and you have a wattmeter so you can do real world testing. Probably your biggest gain would be to test with a 3S battery, same prop, motor and ESC. I bet you are still under 21A and you will have 50% more RPM than the 2S battery.

Thurmond

surfinggstud

I built this plane in one night and it was beautiful. Took it out to test fly today and it was a 3 second flight to a nose dive. Maybe I had the balance wrong but it was balanced pretty good. Any ideas?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Might need a harder toss. I know this sounds like a joke but a hand launch does need some oompf.

buggyboat

Hi all, Here is my F-22. Stick mount 39g Dynam that only works about half the time. I bought this kit http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1006.html for a SuperEasy which is what I learned to fly RC with. This F-22 has been a fun plane. That is nose #4 on there. Thanks Josh and Josh and Chad and all. DSCN7925.JPG

knife-edge

I've been flying one of these F22s for a while now and have a couple of questions. First, the plane flies quite well and is a lot of fun. I have two problems however. First, when i crash, it always goes in nose first and crumples it. I usually get a few crashes before I have to cut the fuselage out and replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build a stronger one that is more crash resistant.

The other question is the my plane seems slightly underpowered. I'm flying a Turnigy D2826-10 1400kv motor with a 25 amp esc on a 800 mah 2S battery and an 8x4 prop. I've attached this to a watt meter and it is pulling about 9 amps and generating about 75-80 watts. What can I do to increase the power? Bigger prop? Better battery?

I use four layers of foamboard glued together to form the fuse. I then add a duct tape nose covering to it. I have had probably 50 crashes on it and it still looks and flies fine. P. S. The tape nose goes to only about 3 inches back from the tip.

buggyboat

Can anyone tell me what the best motor/esc setup for this plane is? I have been flying with the Dynam setup and it is very slow. No vertical at all. I also think there is something wrong with the motor. Anyway I want to step it up a bit. I look at all the motors at hobbyking and get lost. What works good for you guys? At least some vertical is a must. If you could add links it would be great. I tried to find the bigger one Josh Bixler was using and no luck. Thanks for any help you can give.

buggyboat

In case anyone asks the same question I did, look at the F-22 review in the "Review" section. Lots of suggestions there.

Here is my f-22 starscream. I painted it with black markers based on starscream models I found online. I really wish flite test come up with some cheap starscream decals for our f22 image.jpg

Comickid

Hey guys. i have been watching for a while now and finally decided to buy all the gear and get into the hobby. i have decided to build the F22 Raptor (F22b Plans). i have built the plane but am not sure about the electronics that i have bought(originally was going to build one of those RCPowers F22s). can someone please let me know if my power system will work with this plane? i don't mind getting a smaller battery, as i realise this is a smaller plane, if so what battery should i get? essentially i am worried that my power system will be to heavy/powerful for this plane.

Power System
Motor: 2200kv, 30A max
ESC: 30A
Prop: 6x4 APC
Battery: 11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
Servos: HXT 9g servos

Thanks guys

coolair

Just joined the forum & just completed my F22, maiden flight was very short... the plane nose dips as soon as it is launched.
When I power the motor ifeel the nose go down whyle holding but feel plenty of push ..shold I look at the motor mount or just nose heavy..
CG seems ok.......??

Cant post a pic..:confused: