F-27 Evolution

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So, about a year and a half ago, Flite Test reviewed the F-27 Evolution:

If you'll notice, Josh, Alex, and Stefan were INCREDIBLY nice to me and gifted me one of these bad boys.

It arrived, and I had full intention of getting it up and flying the heck out of it, but I kept crashing my Versa Wings and was really nervous about trying to get this thing up in the air and fly it, especially after I'd lost control of my Nano Goblin at the field and was really shaken by nearly hitting someone in the pits.

So, it sat in my bedroom, at the foot of my bed, for nearly a year, until I got up the courage to get out and fly it this past weekend.

I took it out to the field, had someone hand launch it for me, and the next thing I know, I'm SCREAMING around the field with this sucker, making runs from right to left. I don't know why I was so nervous about flying this thing; it flies SO well! Yes, it flies like a Versa Wing, but it corners incredibly well at speeds, and is incredibly stable in flight, especially at low and high speeds. I was doing rolls with it like it was nothing (although, I was flying it on low rates the first two times, especially at higher speeds).

If you haven't tried one, I can highly recommend it. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sweet! I wasn’t on the forums when I saw that vid so I didn’t realize it was you that got it. That’s really awesome! Any chance you can get some vid?😃 Won’t have money for something like that unfortunately, but that’s why I’m here at flite test!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
So, about a year and a half ago, Flite Test reviewed the F-27 Evolution:

If you'll notice, Josh, Alex, and Stefan were INCREDIBLY nice to me and gifted me one of these bad boys.

It arrived, and I had full intention of getting it up and flying the heck out of it, but I kept crashing my Versa Wings and was really nervous about trying to get this thing up in the air and fly it, especially after I'd lost control of my Nano Goblin at the field and was really shaken by nearly hitting someone in the pits.

So, it sat in my bedroom, at the foot of my bed, for nearly a year, until I got up the courage to get out and fly it this past weekend.

I took it out to the field, had someone hand launch it for me, and the next thing I know, I'm SCREAMING around the field with this sucker, making runs from right to left. I don't know why I was so nervous about flying this thing; it flies SO well! Yes, it flies like a Versa Wing, but it corners incredibly well at speeds, and is incredibly stable in flight, especially at low and high speeds. I was doing rolls with it like it was nothing (although, I was flying it on low rates the first two times, especially at higher speeds).

If you haven't tried one, I can highly recommend it. :)
It's a beautiful looking wing indeed! So glad it hasn't joined your "Died horrible deaths" list :) :)

sprzout

Mentor
Sweet! I wasn’t on the forums when I saw that vid so I didn’t realize it was you that got it. That’s really awesome! Any chance you can get some vid?😃 Won’t have money for something like that unfortunately, but that’s why I’m here at flite test!

Sure, I'll have to see if I can get someone to grab some video footage when I'm flying it at the field on Sunday. :) It really flies nice, and like Alex said in the vid, it wants to glide for forever, it feels like!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I gotta do the same with the Dat Rhino kit I was gifted. All it needs at this point is a good once over, maybe re-gluing the elevons as I am not 100% confident of the gluing they got and dropping the monster receiver I have left for fixed wing into it. Really need to put a few small 4 channel receivers on the shopping list for projects and attempts to fly fixed wing.

Anyways I am glad you found success and courage to put it up and see what happens. Now video is a must to see it in action.

sprzout

Mentor
I gotta do the same with the Dat Rhino kit I was gifted. All it needs at this point is a good once over, maybe re-gluing the elevons as I am not 100% confident of the gluing they got and dropping the monster receiver I have left for fixed wing into it. Really need to put a few small 4 channel receivers on the shopping list for projects and attempts to fly fixed wing.

Anyways I am glad you found success and courage to put it up and see what happens. Now video is a must to see it in action.

Are you running Spektrum? I know they’re more expensive than the Lemon or Orange receivers, but the new AR410 sport receivers are REALLY nice. Easy to bind because they don’t need a bind plug, and the antenna’s built in so they don’t have to be routed around all willy-nilly for better diversity signal. And they fit into the nose of nearly all of the DLG gliders on the market, which means they have a really tiny footprint.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Are you running Spektrum? I know they’re more expensive than the Lemon or Orange receivers, but the new AR410 sport receivers are REALLY nice. Easy to bind because they don’t need a bind plug, and the antenna’s built in so they don’t have to be routed around all willy-nilly for better diversity signal. And they fit into the nose of nearly all of the DLG gliders on the market, which means they have a really tiny footprint.
I love my ar410 and ar620 receivers!

sprzout

Mentor
Will you put fpv into the nose? Also I love the admiral receivers or spectrum.

I thought about it, but I dunno. If I do, it won’t be the camera that Horizon sells. Too many people have reported problems with it, and I’m leery of it.