F-4 Phantom - Twin 70mm EDF Monster!!

Jermaine123

Oh my goodness .... You totally nailed it ..
Sms.. I fear you may encounter pitch sensitive issues as he did with the elevator setup .. But I absolutely love it .. Good job .. I already built 2 .. Mine were not as sweet looking as yours ..
Keep us posted with the maiden ..plz ..

whackflyer

Master member
New guy here.....thought first I would thank "Jetman" for providing the F4 Phantom plan! I enjoyed putting this one together.....

I thought I would share a couple pictures of the build now that I completed it. Have not Maiden flight this one yet but looking forward
to getting out to field and zip around ......

Pardon my mess in the shop background..... ; )
Looks really good!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
New guy here.....thought first I would thank "Jetman" for providing the F4 Phantom plan! I enjoyed putting this one together.....

I thought I would share a couple pictures of the build now that I completed it. Have not Maiden flight this one yet but looking forward
to getting out to field and zip around ......

Pardon my mess in the shop background..... ; )

Dude. DUDE... DOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

That looks so friggin' awesome! Great job. Good luck on the maiden flight! Make sure to get video, we want to see it. :D

Jermaine123

IMG-20210601-WA0005.jpeg
back at it again

Yogenh1

Hey Ben, I've started building my stripped down version, I realized 50mm won't cut it so I'm just using some 64mm. I have a question on the build, what are these parts for? Please and thank you

View attachment 99401
Those are the nose gear brace pieces. There should be two, mirror images of each other. They are intended to glue to the side walls of the nose and keep the nose gear upper-mount pieces centered.

The nose gear "upper-mount" pieces are 3 identical sorta-trapezoid pieces. They have three straight sides and one angled. Those get glued altogether as one, and go on top of the nose gear. THAT whole shabang goes in between those two pieces you asked about.

Clear as mud?! Good! :p

EDIT: Oh wait...LOL...you're building the stripped down version which means NO GEAR. Yeah don't worry about those pieces. XD
I would like to know how all the parts for nose gear goes together? I can't figure it out. I think I have the rest going together all right.

tomlogan1

Elite member
IT'S HERE!! THE F-4 IS FINALLY HERE!!

View attachment 97454 View attachment 97455

This is one project that I've actually been working on for quite a while, without posting ANYTHING about it here. I built #1 at Flite Fest Ohio, 2017, and it flew AWESOME. Flite Test even featured it a bit in their recap video. Ever since then, I've probably gotten more requests for plans for this jet than any other - which puzzles me because it's clearly NOT a trivial build!

But you all asked for it, and I promised I'd post plans when I finally flew my second build at home, so here you go! I'll put up as many build-pics as possible, but fair warning; they're not comprehensive. O_O So please ask questions as you go, I'll try to answer them as best I can, and hopefully others can learn along at once.

Details:

F-4 Phantom II
Power: 2 x 70mm 12-blade EDF
Battery: 6000mAh, 4S Graphene
Wingspan: 36 inches
Length: 54 inches
Weight: 85 ounces - (5lb, 5oz) - (2.4Kg)

DISCLAIMER: As of this post (11/2/2017), the plans are posted in "AS-IS" condition....meaning I still need to make some updates, but it flies, but be warned. Mostly, I need to move the motor-mounts BACK to make room to move the battery and ESC's back as well. If you build it per-plans, most likely it'll be nose heavy - which isn't bad, just not ideal. But I've kept this to myself long enough, I feel like it just needs to be out there for everyone to have fun with. ;)

Also, you do NOT have to build the all-flying "Stabilator", you can get away with traditional elevators on a fixed horizontal stab. However, you will need two servos; one for each elevator.

PLANS:
- DOWNLOAD PDF ZIP -
- DOWNLOAD DXF ZIP -

Build pics below:

View attachment 97438 View attachment 97439 View attachment 97440 View attachment 97441 View attachment 97442 View attachment 97443 View attachment 97444 View attachment 97445 View attachment 97446 View attachment 97447 View attachment 97448 View attachment 97449 View attachment 97450 View attachment 97451 View attachment 97452

Sorry there aren't more details on the build. If I find more, I'll post them. If you DO attempt this plane, PLEASE ask questions here so everyone can benefit from the answers!
I have a pair of 50 mm edfs looking for a home. If I scale this to about 70% do you think it would work?

Great plan, thanks.

Muquacksa

Unfortunately due to restrictions that happened where I used to fly, I took a break from my builds and never got to finish this jet, though I’ve done some work on my 3D printer and its working quite well, so im thinking of perhaps creating a 3D printable version if I can manage to learn the designing skills needed.
would it be worth a try or should I try to do this on perhaps the f-18 that Mid7night made?

Jermaine123

@ midnight ... So .. Im again planning to build another phantom ... Had some difficulties with the last one ... However what are your thoughts on a single 90 mm fan unit for power ? I tried the 70 mm twin 4s .. That one worked .. I tried 70mm 6s didnt work so well .. I'm not sure what I did wrong ..
But ... Do you think a 90 can be made to work ?any ideas ?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member

This is one project that I've actually been working on for quite a while, without posting ANYTHING about it here. I built #1 at Flite Fest Ohio, 2017, and it flew AWESOME. Flite Test even featured it a bit in their recap video. Ever since then, I've probably gotten more requests for plans for this jet than any other - which puzzles me because it's clearly NOT a trivial build!

But you all asked for it, and I promised I'd post plans when I finally flew my second build at home, so here you go! I'll put up as many build-pics as possible, but fair warning; they're not comprehensive. O_O So please ask questions as you go, I'll try to answer them as best I can, and hopefully others can learn along at once.

Details:

F-4 Phantom II
Battery: 6000mAh, 4S Graphene

DISCLAIMER: As of this post (11/2/2017), the plans are posted in "AS-IS" condition....meaning I still need to make some updates, but it flies, but be warned. Mostly, I need to move the motor-mounts BACK to make room to move the battery and ESC's back as well. If you build it per-plans, most likely it'll be nose heavy - which isn't bad, just not ideal. But I've kept this to myself long enough, I feel like it just needs to be out there for everyone to have fun with. ;)

Also, you do NOT have to build the all-flying "Stabilator", you can get away with traditional elevators on a fixed horizontal stab. However, you will need two servos; one for each elevator.

PLANS:
- DOWNLOAD PDF ZIP -
- DOWNLOAD DXF ZIP -

Build pics below:

View attachment 97438 View attachment 97439 View attachment 97440 View attachment 97441 View attachment 97442 View attachment 97443 View attachment 97444 View attachment 97445 View attachment 97446 View attachment 97447 View attachment 97448 View attachment 97449 View attachment 97450 View attachment 97451 View attachment 97452

Sorry there aren't more details on the build. If I find more, I'll post them. If you DO attempt this plane, PLEASE ask questions here so everyone can benefit from the answers!
I think I know what I'm making my dad, for Christmas..

This is his favourite plane 🤠

William73

Details:

F-4 Phantom II
Battery: 5000-6000mAh, 4S

PLANS:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/f-4-phantom-ii-twin-70mm-edf-monster.274/

Build pics below:

Can this jet be built with a 6 channel tx/rx? Not planning to install retractable gear. Thank you. great plane