F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
As a child I've often seen take offs from the Mig-21 (Fishbed) at the local military airfield. At that time it was a Russian air base and today we start our model airplanes on this terrain - time changes. There is already a model from Depron for a 50 mm EDF that you should look at, maybe you will get some inspiration for the foam board version.

Link to the forum post with some pictures.

Link to the manual (pdf file)

Link to the store

Last edited:

Jfrederick

already printed

Hey nice job on that F-86! I have got it printed and is next on my table so please keep us posted on this because i think this is gonna be huge for us edf freaks lol!

Zephyr1

Elite member
That is an amazing MiG! I looked at the manual, it was actually pretty helpful, thank you.

Hey nice job on that F-86! I have got it printed and is next on my table so please keep us posted on this because i think this is gonna be huge for us edf freaks lol!

Yeah goodluck! I'll be happy to answer any questions, I hope you incorporate Ben's shelf and if you have any improvements I'd love to hear about it. Heads up, I'm am going to be updating the fuselage plans, not sure if that changes anything for you.

Jfrederick

Hey!

Honestly the build has gone great and i look forward to the maiden! I did not have a 4s setup in a 50mm but i did have a 3s outta my old syncro which was bigger and heavier so i figured why not. Really the only small issue i had is that the rear servo slots were not printed in the plans but i can make it work, i do plan on using that battery tray and i choose to let the thrust tube stay round and just use poster board to do the underside of the tail which if it works should give it a rounded look . I am already planning on trying to fit a 64mm 4s in the v2(i placed it in the fuse and although tight i think it will fit). I will post picks when complete and i hope this project keeps evolving.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Yay! I can't wait to see the pictures! I'll be sure to include servo cut outs on my next set of plans. I agree, a 64mm would definitely fit into it. The thing is, I'm not sure you need anymore power. The 50mm puts out more than enough thrust.

Thanks for building it!

Jfrederick

F86

Thanks for designing it! I think its something flitetest should do more of just for the fact that a jet typically is a perfect belly lander and they are fast so its a home run in my book! I was looking at your design and it wouldn't be hard to modify it to be a MIG 15 either.

Zephyr1

Elite member
They really should! I'd love to see them do more designs like the Sea Duck and the X-29. No need to modify this design! I made a MiG-17, which is far, far more easily modified into a MiG-15. When do you think you'll finish/post pics?

Jfrederick

Update

I need to make a quick stop at the hobby shop but should be done by this weekend i hope. Regardless i will post my progress this weekend! Soooo itching to fly lol..

Jfrederick

Question

Do you happen to know the f86 weight... I am just wanting to be sure my 3s setup will fly it and i made a mistake its actually an 56mm edf.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Great! Mine was about 18oz, but Ben flew his at 26oz. I think as long as you're balanced right, it'll be fine.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Do you happen to know the f86 weight... I am just wanting to be sure my 3s setup will fly it and i made a mistake its actually an 56mm edf.

As Zephyr said, the balance is more important. FYI: Mine was also a 55mm EDF, and flew with zero problems....even on ONE aileron! :p

Zephyr1

Elite member
You need to open up a reply, hit the "insert photo" tab, hit "from computer", then "choose file", and then "upload file"

Jfrederick

Hey guys i posted my pics on the flite test fans sight! She is almost done but i was unable to get one lousy deans connector and im outta glue lol,so i gotta wait a little longer.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I have rebuilt the Sabre, and cleaned up the plans! I uploaded V3 back in my first post. It looks a lot better! Ben, I incorporated a flat piece and more "darts" in the fuse. I included a spot for the servos and a built in shelf.

Sabrefuse1.JPG

Sabrefuse2.JPG

Sabrefuse3.JPG

Sabrewing1.JPG

Sabretail1.JPG

Sabretail2.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
Going to give this a shot as a pusher with a 2200kv motor and a 2200 3s all the way up front. Are the plans missing notches for the elevator to attach to the fuse? Can you confirm CG also?

Last edited: