F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

Zephyr1

Elite member
The F-86 Sabre is among my favorite jets. How can you not love the greatest MiG killer in history? I decided to make the it scale to my F-15. It requires ONLY 2 sheets of foamboard! This means that if you lawndart it (I did the first one!) it's no trouble to rebuild! I used a FMS 12 blade 50mm EDF with a 40a esc. On my original F-86, the fuselage is a box and I did cut cheaters into it. I don't think that's necessary for this version. I will be posting the plans shortly.
Sabre New.jpg

Molded Sabre.jpg

Wingspan: 32in
Length: 28in
Motor: 50/55mm EDF
ESC: 40A min
Battery: 1300mAh - 2600mAh

PLANS:

Attachments

• F-86 definitive.JPG
    F-86 definitive.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 215
  • F-86v3.JPG
    F-86v3.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 82
  • F-86 Sabre Tiled.pdf
    458.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 50mm F-86 Sabre Full Plans.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
Some building advice:
I forgot to install the servos before the EDF, I would have buried the servos further in the fuselage. I used two separate channels for the tail, this allowed me to mix it to the ailerons.

For the wings, they don't fold over quite right just yet, you'll have to make it work

I don't have plans for the bottom or the cockpit box yet, I am working on those but again, make it work.

On the wings, i placed the servos behind the spar at the edge of the wing.

Use two EDF hodlers and the back of the thrust tube will need to be bent a little

Good Luck! And I will try to answer all the questions you may have.

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
WOOHOO! Yay for distraction-builds! :p

Question 1: Why does the top of the nose look like it doesn't line up with the fuselage behind it?

Zephyr1

Elite member
WOOHOO! Yay for distraction-builds! :p

Question 1: Why does the top of the nose look like it doesn't line up with the fuselage behind it?

I just uploaded a new set of plans. I don't know quit what you mean. Do you mean on the plans or in the pictures?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I just uploaded a new set of plans. I don't know quit what you mean. Do you mean on the plans or in the pictures?

I mean in the pictures.

The fuselage looks like it has a multi-fold over the top, but the nose looks square?

What did you change in the plans? I JUST hit print! :p

Zephyr1

Elite member
I mean in the pictures.

The fuselage looks like it has a multi-fold over the top, but the nose looks square?

What did you change in the plans? I JUST hit print! :p

Nothing major! I promise. I just realized I forgot to add the hollowed out lines for securing the nose and tail to the fuse.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I used a 1300mah 4S and the EDF is rated at 850g of thrust for that setup. And as the plane fully loaded weighs less than 500g, the thrust to weight ratio is pretty good. It could take a bigger battery, easily.

Ben, the nose looks boxier because i removed the paper before creasing it. It should look less boxy, you're right.

Last edited:
That´s definately my next project ( just with a few modifications ).
The modifications will mostly be on the fuselage, it looks a bit to much as a box for me :(.

BUT GOOD WORK MAN!

Do you have a video from it in the air?

Great plane!
Jetcrafter2000

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
It wouldn't be that hard to remove the paper from the entire 'upper spine' of the fuselage, and curl the top over instead of creasing it...I might actually give that a try when I cut it out.

Zephyr1

Elite member
It wouldn't be that hard to remove the paper from the entire 'upper spine' of the fuselage, and curl the top over instead of creasing it...I might actually give that a try when I cut it out.

I like that, it'd fold over a lot more easily and reduce some wait. When do you think you'll try working on it?

What kind of modifications do you think you'll make?

Well, i´m thinking about building the fuselage like the fuselage of my Dc3.
( cutting the cross section out from a thick peace of foam and gluing it together ).

I´ll also attach airbrakes and flaps.
And i´ll probaly scale it up.
Your wings are looking good to me so i´ll use them ( i´ll just cut out flaps ).

But that´s my projekt for the next winter.

It flyes so great in the video!

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I like that, it'd fold over a lot more easily and reduce some wait. When do you think you'll try working on it?

....I MIGHT have time after work today actually, but I make no promises... ;)

Question 2: How "scale" are all your major proportions, like length and span? Did you stretch anything when making your plans?

Zephyr1

Elite member
Sounds fantastic! And no, it is pretty much as scale as i could make it. Tail, length, and wingspan were not stretched. The only thing i changed a little, was making the ailerons a little bit longer in the wing and the elevator a bit wider.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Ok, yes I apologize, I don't have plans for the underside. I just traced them on the foamboard and fit it and I don't have the sabre with me right now to take measurements. In the same vein, there is a three sided box that i glued to the fuselage where the cockpit would be. At the extremity of that, is where I placed the battery. Here are some pictures to help.

Wing1.JPG
Underside.JPG
Bay.JPG
This is the cockpit area i was talking about.
Maw.JPG
This is the view from the mouth of the plane