F-86 Sabre - 50mm EDF

Zephyr1

Elite member
Wow!! That looks amazing, I love the orange! It's very reminiscent of an X-1! And I for sure love the low speed passes with this thing. Yes, @Chuppster is correct, cheater holes will improve performance but...

Question: Should I update the F-86 plans to be a better reflection of my 70mm Sabre? With molded fuse and nose? Wings would stay the same.

I'm starting my 2nd through 4th build of this plane. LOVE IT but the last one kissed a fence at top speed. I am going to round out the fuse and wings like zephyr did last, but going to try forming the nose with the one from the original plans instead of strips, pics to come!

Last edited:
Almost ready to fly, just needs control rods and horns, may be a bottom for the nose. It has an eflite 64mm motor from the f15. I hope it flies well because the last one felt lighter and needed 70% power to stay moving. On this one the Elmer's foamboard I though was good, isnt. I couldn't get the paper off for anything, and I tried all the tricks, I'm also pretty sure its heavier. Ended up forming but with wrinkles on the inside paper layer. Found a dollar tree and a bunch of readi board so the next one will be perfect I'm sure lol.

Attachments

• 20190907_200143.jpg
    20190907_200143.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190907_200150.jpg
    20190907_200150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
All ready to maiden. Using a 2700mah 4s 60c battery, eflite 3150kv motor with a 12 blade 64mm fan, and 60a esc

Attachments

• 20190908_205253.jpg
    20190908_205253.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190908_205307.jpg
    20190908_205307.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190908_205323.jpg
    20190908_205323.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190908_222321.jpg
    20190908_222321.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Zephyr1

Elite member
I have never had any luck with Elmers, so best of luck to you. I like the wings, they look great. That shelf is placed awful low on the fuse though, I'd be a bit worried about the airflow to the motor. Let me know how the flight goes!

I agree its low, and I thought about that when installing it, but needed the room for the 2700mah 60c 4s battery. Flew my last one on 2200mah 35c and it was going through batteries in 2 or 3 minutes, and puffing them. I can always open up some vents at the field if I have to. Hoping to maiden this weekend.

Winglet

Update:

Had a Lemon receiver go out on my F-86 and it messed it up pretty good. Basically salvaged the wing and everything else new. I was able to make several improvements and it really flies sweet now. I payed more attention to my fan mounting and thrust tube and I get a lot more thrust than before. I also gave the horizontal stabilizer just a little more area. I use 1600 4s 75c packs and it give me about 2:30 minutes of exhilarating flight. Will probably start on another soon, because I enjoyed building it so much.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I agree its low, and I thought about that when installing it, but needed the room for the 2700mah 60c 4s battery. Flew my last one on 2200mah 35c and it was going through batteries in 2 or 3 minutes, and puffing them. I can always open up some vents at the field if I have to. Hoping to maiden this weekend.

How'd the maiden go? I opted to try my own blended fuse version of it!

Winglet

I agree Zephyr, Just a great airplane! Another member of our club started flying his today. His is 3S and a little weak compared to my 4S but he is loving it. He added 3D printed vents to the sides and that really helped. My version 2.5 is going to get cheater vents as well. It has really been fun to watch our somewhat old school club members observe the Sabre Jet in flight. Most of them have huge models costing literally 100 times as much and they arn't nearly as exciting as my little Sabre Jet. It has REALLY gotten some attention. Mine got close to 20 flight in today. It was a perfect day and I just couldn't stop flying it.

My version 2.5 is being built nearly stock to your origional plans. I just can't see where it needs a lot of changes. I use the 50mm FMS edf.

What a ship!
sbr 2.5.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
I agree Zephyr, Just a great airplane! Another member of our club started flying his today. His is 3S and a little weak compared to my 4S but he is loving it. He added 3D printed vents to the sides and that really helped. My version 2.5 is going to get cheater vents as well. It has really been fun to watch our somewhat old school club members observe the Sabre Jet in flight. Most of them have huge models costing literally 100 times as much and they arn't nearly as exciting as my little Sabre Jet. It has REALLY gotten some attention. Mine got close to 20 flight in today. It was a perfect day and I just couldn't stop flying it.

My version 2.5 is being built nearly stock to your origional plans. I just can't see where it needs a lot of changes. I use the 50mm FMS edf.

What a ship!

20 flights!! Holy crap man that's fantastic! Yeah, I would expect the 3S to be a little underpowered but I would love to see the 3D printed cheater vents. The Sabre just hits the sweet spot between flight capability and it's just so cheap that you aren't terrified to fly it balls to the walls. I hope that made sense lol. It's great to see you're enjoying it :)

Winglet

I'll post photos of the vents when I get a chance. I'm very interested to see how they perform. I have two other ducted fan models now but for some reason I keep going back to this one? The other two are ARFs. I think there is more enjoyment flying something you created yourself. Probably why?

synjin

Elite member
Well, here is my 50mm F-86 that was mistakenly blown up 125%. I put a 70mm EDF in it. I’m hoping I can get the CG right. That’s a 24” ruler in the picture. I’ll try to maiden it Friday.

Attachments

• 6B646B2B-367C-4DC7-990B-171DA095EFD3.jpeg
    6B646B2B-367C-4DC7-990B-171DA095EFD3.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AA376C5A-9D10-4DDF-8A21-D519AF495CBA.jpeg
    AA376C5A-9D10-4DDF-8A21-D519AF495CBA.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

synjin

Elite member
Finally went to fly mine today. It was obviously tail heavy. I'll have to do a bit of fixing of the nose, as I completely chopped power about 10 feet off the deck. I also wonder whether the horizontal stabilizer/elevator are a bit small?

mach1 rc

Master member
Finally went to fly mine today. It was obviously tail heavy. I'll have to do a bit of fixing of the nose, as I completely chopped power about 10 feet off the deck. I also wonder whether the horizontal stabilizer/elevator are a bit small?
Nice did you get a video

synjin

Elite member
I've got to find a way to do video while I'm flying. Usually I'm out alone, so I don't have anyone to video for me. I've tried my phone, but the video from that isn't useful. Going to make a hat mount for my old miniDV camcorder. Really, I just need to find a camera person. Sadly, it's too cold to trick the wife into helping. :p

synjin

Elite member
Maidened it today! Yay! No video, as I was out at the field alone. Once I figured out to keep it level until it picked up airspeed, it flew great. Never got to see a real F-86 flying (there were Phantoms at Elmendorf AFB when I was a kid). For all that it looked scale flying. It has a 6 blade 70mm EDF, 40a ESC, and I was running new 3850maH 3S Hyperion batteries. I still think I need to upsize the elevators (which I programmed as elevons). There wasn’t a lot of elevator authority. I love that sound as it flies past! I did have to put 50g of washers in the nose to balance it. If the weather holds maybe I can get the wife to video it tomorrow.

synjin

Elite member
After the last landing a week ago, I had to rebuild the nose and increase the elevator area. So I used the nose from the 70mm F-86 and resized the elevators 125%. I’m going to wait to try it again until the snow sets up a little. With fresh snow I’d hate to fill the fuselage with snow.
3C5B345F-0249-4902-90CE-F49DA00574FF.jpeg
37B1DD52-B3FD-43C8-8D0A-19D62041FD85.jpeg
BD04E32B-C282-4F83-8703-CB077DB5EF3E.jpeg