F-86 Sabre 70mm EDF

Zephyr1

Elite member
Earlier last year I designed a 50mm F-86 Sabre that some of you are hopefully aware of (found here: F-86 50mm) and it worked really well! It was incredibly fast and maneuverable. But with the onset of the Master Series Corsair, I realized I needed to up my game. And as I was tired of the 3-4min flight times of the smaller Sabre, I decided to make a much larger one. And the flight characteristics are great and all control surfaces are scale. Oh yeah, and I bought some decals from calliegraphics and they look amazing. (There's a MiG-15 teaser as well. Let me know if you guys want me to post plans for it as well.)

Zephyr1 Logo.png
Wingspan: 39in
Length: 38in
Motor: 70mm FMS 12 Blade EDF
ESC: 60A
Battery: 2700mah - 3200mah 4S
Endurance: 5-7min

Video:

Sabre.jpg

LadMiggy.JPG

Zephyr1 Logo.png
Plans:

Attachments

• Zephyr1 F-86 Sabre 70mm - V7.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

shhhhh!

Awesome..yes please post plans for the Mig-15 my favorite jet. So is the 70mm F-86 build the same as the 50mm version?
Thanks,
-dave

Zephyr1

Elite member
Awesome..yes please post plans for the Mig-15 my favorite jet. So is the 70mm F-86 build the same as the 50mm version?
Thanks,
-dave

Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to wait on the plans for the MiG-15 when I try a similar MiG-17 this week.

No, the 70mm Sabre is different from the 50mm version. The 50mm is boxier and the nose section specifically doesn't come together as well. Additionally the tail is better on 70mm. Hope that helps!

Winglet

Hi Zephyr1,

I built your 50mm version of the F-86. Great design! I love flying it. I'm ready to jump into the 70MM. Is there anymore information on the build anywhere? I'm a little confused with the plans. What is the squarish piece with the four rectangle cutouts?? Any construction photos you have would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

Zephyr1

Elite member
Hi Zephyr1,

I built your 50mm version of the F-86. Great design! I love flying it. I'm ready to jump into the 70MM. Is there anymore information on the build anywhere? I'm a little confused with the plans. What is the squarish piece with the four rectangle cutouts?? Any construction photos you have would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

Hey Mike, I'm so glad you're enjoying the 50mm F-86! I'll try to help as best I can with the plans. Are you referring to this piece?
1563136202539.png

If so, then this is the back half of the fuselage. So first thing you do will be to tape this to the front of the fuse and then remove the paper from the inside. The 4 rectangles are where the hstab's connect. Additionally this is how i connected the servos! On the right side is the battery shelf and on the left side is the tail.

1563136360880.png

Zephyr1

Elite member
Ok, so while my transmitter has been MIA, and when I got bored in my airbreath propulsion class, I decided to redo and update the plans for the Sabre. Big improvements this time include: reinforced and single piece htail, a completely molded fuse (this means that underside is formed too), an improved, more symmetrical airfoil (no undercamber), and importantly the use of fuse formers, specifically to hold the EDF and to better join the fore and aft fuse.

Sabre Tail.JPG

Sabre Nose.JPG

New Sabre.JPG

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Ok, so while my transmitter has been MIA, and when I got bored in my airbreath propulsion class, I decided to redo and update the plans for the Sabre. Big improvements this time include: reinforced and single piece htail, a completely molded fuse (this means that underside is formed too), an improved, more symmetrical airfoil (no undercamber), and importantly the use of fuse formers, specifically to hold the EDF and to better join the fore and aft fuse.

View attachment 141594

View attachment 141595

View attachment 141596
Tempting!!!!!

jfaleo1

View attachment 141594

View attachment 141595

View attachment 141596

I like this better with each new version. Looks great!

FWIW (which is not much) I was looking at the pushrod run you had in the earlier post. I tend to prefer stiffer pushrods so I cross them over from one side to the other if possible. Meaning, for example, rudder control horn is on the left side so servo in the fuselage is on the right. This allows for straighter pushrods and less binding, so less servo stress. As I said this is only worth the time it took to type YMMV.

Zephyr1

Elite member
I like this better with each new version. Looks great!

FWIW (which is not much) I was looking at the pushrod run you had in the earlier post. I tend to prefer stiffer pushrods so I cross them over from one side to the other if possible. Meaning, for example, rudder control horn is on the left side so servo in the fuselage is on the right. This allows for straighter pushrods and less binding, so less servo stress. As I said this is only worth the time it took to type YMMV.

You're 100% correct, the stiffer pushrods are much better. I actually already incorporated that into the new version!

Fighting Gravity

Hi Zephyr1!

I was looking Ford an easy easy to build EDF plane. I had a MIG 15 or 17 in my mind. When I stumbled upon your 50mm Sabre, I liked that one even better! But when I found your 70mm project, I even liked that one even more. Recently I’m more into a bit larger and more stable flying aircraft.

I’m having three questions.
1. Did you make the new plans with the round fuselage available yet? If not, can you do so? And can you give info about your cg?
2. In the plans uploaded to your first post, there are two identically parts labeled “B”. I can’t imagine what they are for. They are on the same page where the vertical stab is.
3. Have you ever considered just powering one horizontal stabilizer by a servo And making the other unmovable? Probably the rolling effect is neglectible.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Fredo

Ranger_107

Elite member
Hey @Zephyr1!
I asked some questions about the 50mm edf f-86 you designed but I have moved from that because its too small for what I want to do with it...
Is it possible to put retracts and flaps into the wings? and is it possible to make the elevator controlled fully by one servo? kinda low on servos and I might add a rudder so I dont want to use 5 servos when I could use four.

Thanks!