F/A-18 E Super Hornet SUPERSIZED 150%

HilldaFlyer

Thanks, me too! -

Tomorrow morning looks like a good day to try taking off with the wheels. We'll see if that "improvement" really works.

HilldaFlyer

Does that wing actually have an airfoil?

Yes

See the first posts... That is the only way I could get enough structural strength in the wing using foam core and FT techniques.

I see where there may be some confusion. The smaller FT-18 that I built have flat panel wings. These supersized 40" wingspan plans have foiled wings. They fly better too.

Last edited:

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes, really don't like the no airfoil style planes. I get no enjoyment from them. I flew my mini FT-22 about 6 times and then took the electronics out to put into a 60% Storch. This looks really cool.

HilldaFlyer

I took the F-18E to display at the Johnny Appleseed Festival in Leominster MA. However, I haven't taken it off the shelf since it flown at FF2016... It was still carrying the field dust... just a little washing before displaying.

2G9qhF5_KfjorpVKmRkqJZChH0qEDgcIQGy9-7kHdhHASYXzRR733vEH6FtCWqH2A7oL3ZQRaxkuLCZRtwA8pmLV0bHgg2OBVZhHOvDObp9y9e2P7fKD6PtHKpTJtDeuwgHwvwK2

LucqZNWYXyLemYl3PhvY6kl_R7GnwEF6wUK6oNRNmqYcBE-S_47veYsW6njQ3xgFgFvzqfXPpJpaHmA4eQDrPrlipPP8td7HNGhJ5kw2SfB6s9u-LeojhX-gdetDhWM8Mon5XnV-

Here is the muck that came off the top of the wings with a little water.

Bigbat23

Hello, New guy here. I know this is a pretty old post but its just about what I need to build my 1st RC plane. There are just a few things Im not sure of. Is there a color guide for the plans. Just to know what kind cuts to make on the foam? I chose to make mine at 80% I have all the parts traced to foam and not sure about some cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HilldaFlyer

Hi BigBat23. Boy, it has been a long time since I built one of these. I seem to recall the plans are color coded with different colors having different depths of cuts.

I want to encourage you to get into the hobby in a positive way. However, for your 1st RC plane, I would encourage you to build an aircraft that is more simple and flies in a more friendly way. I would direct you to Flite Test Simple Scout or similar plane where the plans have been produced in a way to be easy to cut. Having success in your first RC plane is key to keeping interest in the hobby.

Bigbat23

Hi BigBat23. Boy, it has been a long time since I built one of these. I seem to recall the plans are color coded with different colors having different depths of cuts.

I want to encourage you to get into the hobby in a positive way. However, for your 1st RC plane, I would encourage you to build an aircraft that is more simple and flies in a more friendly way. I would direct you to Flite Test Simple Scout or similar plane where the plans have been produced in a way to be easy to cut. Having success in your first RC plane is key to keeping interest in the hobby.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep that in mind. I really have my heart set on building an F-18 Hornet with the Blue Angels color scheme though. And your build is probably the best I've seen. We'll see what happens. I've already started on this build and so far so good.

speedy7385

Wow, that is looking hot! Great job.
Can't wait to see it fly.
Thanks, finished up with some DIY Stickers. Will maiden next week and try to get some video.

Attachments

• 20211127_181808.jpg
    20211127_181808.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211127_181110.jpg
    20211127_181110.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211127_181153.jpg
    20211127_181153.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0