F/A-18 swappable???????

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Got the idea for an addition to the swappable series. If it flys ill do a build log. Using the plans from rcgroups super F-18 profile. Ill probably add some carbon fiber rods to add some rigidity to the wings and elevons. The swappable pod will help hold the two pieces together. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Update..... Just need to get the motor on a pod and mounted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Looking to run a motor that will work with a 6x4 prop. Probably going to go with either of the Grayson hobby micro jet v3 combo or their super mega jet combo. I've had great luck ordering from them since they are in the us and shipping is real easy. I think to start its gonna be the micro v3 combo. With running a 6x4 it will keep it from bashing on the ground so much

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I love having time at work to do this. I had a power pod from the delta laying around so I brought that in to work also. Took a tooth pic and cut a 6" piece of foam to look like a prop to test fit the pod in there. Anything bigger and your going to be cutting into the wing space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

CrashRecovery

Mentor
You gave it a pretty good rating. I'm not rushing this one. Measure four times, and measure again then cut. I know I'm gonna use the carbon rod to go from one wing tip to the other and then probably going to use BBQ skewers for the elevons and the angle part of each wing. I've held off glueing it together because I keep finding little things I want to do that will be blocked by glueing something down. Ill use this page for updates but when I take it out and it flys ill get on a computer where I can really take the time to do step by step stuff and post it as an article. Heck ill even build a second and ship it to the ft boys to play with it and offer suggestions to make it better. It has so many options to grow with this plane. You can make this a full 4 channel plane and even add a few cool mixes to make it do some crazy high alpha........ I hope.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Got the frame built. Power pod is mounted except for the back part. Firewall is installed. Carbon and BBQ rods are glued in. Now I have to order the electronics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Was just thinking about the build, should I be considering a kf air foil for this? I mean a large number of builds like this I have seen the kf foil used. Rcpowers swears by them?

earthsciteach

Top and bottom.

Personally, I don't like KF airfoils. Its not a matter of performance, its a matter of aesthetics. But, I'm just in a particularly anti-KF mood at the moment. Its really FlyingMonkey's fault.

MrClean

Aesthetics? It's a flat plate F-18! Copy RCPowers. You'll get a stiffer wing and it will have more lift at a lower Angle of Attack.

Besides, Cammo paint job and some well placed felt tip panel lines and that KF step will virtually dis-appear.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok then Ill consider it. Should I taper it down like the FT Delta has or should it be the same size down the wing?