F22 Fail

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, then so long as I'm getting thrust out the back then the motor and prop combo is right?

You video would also seem to me to suggest inadequate thrust.
So
How much does your F22 weigh complete?
With an 7x3.5 prop the Turnigy 300 should give 420g (14oz) thrust at full power drawing just over 7A.
Something like an F22 needs a thrust almost equal to its weight.
An 8x4 prop is recommended for this motor with a 2s battery.
On a 3s it will be drawing significantly more current, likely more than a 500mAh battery can provide.

You might have to upgrade your motor system, if the specs here are correct.

But the main thing is getting the motor the right direction, and the prop the right direction, then you can go from there. Keep the weight down, build a new body if you have to, repairs can add lots of weight fast.

MrClean

Half? Nail that sucker to the front of your transmitter when you maiden. Don't be going halvsies! You don't have any airspeed you need thrust, throttle back AFTER you've gained flying speed. Oh, with huge prop planes you'll get a bunch of torque and I've seen my scale combat planes that don't have big rudders yaw a good 15 degrees from the torque on launch but with this plane that won't be a factor. Put the throttle on full.

skeplin

To add insult to injury, it seems that I also had my throws reversed. After reviewing the footage it looks like the elevons are pitched down right before it nose dives. Lesson learned, always check everything before flying. (This thing sure doesn't fly anything like my old glider with 6' dihedral wings.)

If it weren't for the rain, I'd give it a shot today.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
To add insult to injury, it seems that I also had my throws reversed. After reviewing the footage it looks like the elevons are pitched down right before it nose dives. Lesson learned, always check everything before flying.

From post #16:
My F22 doesn't require a hard launch at all - very similar to what the video shows, with only about 1/2 throttle. It almost looks like the controls were reversed and instead of a climb you got a nose-dive. Or maybe just nowhere near enough UP trim.

1/2 throttle is plenty on mine for take-off. Plus, if I'm going to accidently dumb-thumb it on take-off I'd rather it not be at full throttle as well.

The reversed control happens. For me the last time was a few weeks ago with my ailerons. I was distracted by some goof on his bike who wouldn't take the hint to leave. I was in a hurry to get the plane airborne and far enough away for him to lose interest and didn't remember to check the controls. Oops. Only a broken control horn on the elevator as a result, so I got away lucky.