FAA Explains Their Angle (FTCA update)

fliers1

Josh Bixler looks a bit worried about the future of the hobby/sport. There really isn't anything that anyone can do except to have hope for the hobby. I've worked on my mass and rapid growth plan for decades but can't get any support, even from the two clubs I belong to. They are worried that I will attract what they consider too much attention and too many beginners. One club has a cap on membership but half of the members don't even fly anymore. I am getting positive vibes from schools with S.T.E.M. programs, and the local YMCA, but I will have to wait until the weather breaks to see how far I can get. I have some hope for the hobby. Imagine if the FTCA has several flight instructors who learned my technique. Where all the people they have at their events got flight instructions using my method. Mass and rapid growth will be assured. I'd like to go but at 75, my traveling days are over. I went to AMA's Grand Event twice, once in 1998 and again in 2000. I wonder why they quit doing that.

hankflies03

In one of the recent podcasts Josh was talking about wanting to make a video series about teaching. So I definitely want that to happen.

fliers1

Hi Clarence,

Good to hear from you again - apologies for my delay in response, been quite busy with work and such. If I didn't have to work all the time, I would have more time to build and fly planes!

I will definitely post about my experience with your technique. I can say that I had first-hand experience over this weekend with it, as I was out at my friend's place with my Slowpoke Sport 40 on Sunday. I used your technique to have their 9-year-old son flying (almost) hands off from me in ~10 minutes. I think he could use a couple more lessons, but after those 10 minutes he was starting to get the feel for the controls (and loved flying it!). My friend flew, and he was hands-off with me in about the same amount of time (this was his 2nd time). His wife also tried it out and was virtually hands-off from me in the same ~10 minutes. A few more lessons and I think they will be able to have a go at it themselves while I just watch. I lost a wheel after the last landing due to a bumpy field, but we managed to find it and the wheel collar (magically - it was quite hard to find!).

John and I are planning on doing some more flying before the weather gets too bad, I have his prop fixed and he's ready to go. Have to teach him how to take off and land, but I think within a few lessons he can have that down. I've been patching up my grandfather's Taube 40 (picture attached), if I'm lucky and if the weather cooperates I'm hoping to fly it at least once this year.

I'll do the best I can to get people interested in the hobby - my friend is getting all of his grandfather's planes and is going to fix them up. He's always been interested in it, just never had the time or access to do it previously. Now that he has his own personal field, and a buddy (me) that can teach him how to build and fly, I think he's going to have a great time. John also enjoys the times we've gone, so I think he's going to continue as well. Most of my own friends that I've talked to have thought all of the planes are cool, so I'm trying to get them out to the field and put the controller in their hands. The largest obstacle for my friends and I is scheduling and finding a few spare hours... too many life responsibilities...

See you at the field!

Regards,

Benjamin Rood

Software Engineering Manager

Curbell Medical Products, Inc.