FAA May Require Licenses to Fly Commercial Drones

Lorenzo

It's a brave new world out there. Chances are that without sufficient proactive pressure from pro-UAV groups, public or private, the FAA is going to create over-restrictive policy for fear of accountability for the almost certain instances of "drone misuse." It will take time and energy to whittle away at these restrictions as the industry becomes more familiar to the outside community.

RichB

Unless I want to fly into controlled airspace, the FAA should go and {something inappropriate for this forum here}.

I am of the opinion that congress gave them power over "Commercial UAS" with the intention of allowing an avenue for full-scale remotely-piloted commercial planes to be integrated into our controlled airspace. For them to so-broadly define their own power to the point that they are stifling an entire emerging industry is disgusting and I am baffled that we are even having a conversation about it with them.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Unless I want to fly into controlled airspace, the FAA should go and {something inappropriate for this forum here}.

I am of the opinion that congress gave them power over "Commercial UAS" with the intention of allowing an avenue for full-scale remotely-piloted commercial planes to be integrated into our controlled airspace. For them to so-broadly define their own power to the point that they are stifling an entire emerging industry is disgusting and I am baffled that we are even having a conversation about it with them.

It was quite interesting to watch the CSPAN hearing on the UAS issues. Nothing really new, but it was shocking to hear some of our elected officials speak. They basically took points of views from all sides, but I had to cringe when one of the congressman (from TX, I believe) said something along the lines of "I'm sure I'm not the only one with a Christmas wish list that includes a quad copter. Don't you think the cat's already out of the bag? I'm concerned that we don't already have regulations in place to control these things." He then goes on to say, how he might have already broken the law by flying his quad over his golf course with a video camera recording his game, then posting it onto youtube where there are sponsored ads, so technically he's flying it commercially. I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic, but I don't get why he wants the FAA to rush in regulations while at the same time trying to sound like an enthusiast.

Additionally, it was weird how they were talking about "modelers" and "hobbyists" as two different groups. It was as if they said modelers were more responsible, and knowledgeable, but that hobbyists aren't. Aren't we one in the same? They were obviously associating hobbyists with consumers who just buy a Phantom (which was prominently displayed next to a pilot representing the FAA/Airline Pilots POV) and fly without care for the world.

Kind of disappointing when so many of the congressmen were also characterized as experts (having aviation / piloting experience).

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
If you do not follow Brenden Schuleren, he posted a link that has an article about the recent exemptions that were released today. in that article it says the faa deemed it unnecessary for UAS that are under 55 pounds to get a COA. It's a step in the right direction.
I also was watching that hearing and I like the one senators idea of having registration of commercial use vehicles and the fee will be based on size, use and what not. He made some quick remark that it has to be sensible when it comes to the ones we have here, pointing to the phantom on the table in front of him. I am all for that. It makes sense to me that if you are going to use it for commercial use that you must have it registered and maybe inspected. Things like return to home, loiter, or a controlled landing on loss of signal or gps should be checked

Epic

New to RC planes
This is better then just a ban all together, but not too bad of an idea. Maybe keep the cost for it under 300$ and just a bit of training and I guess it would be ok...

VolksRocket

Rocket Scientist
License Required!

Hi,

Unfortunately, yes a license will be required to operate COMMERCIALLY. BUT.....it is up to the RC community to exercise THEIR RIGHT to allow ONLY the LEAST intrusive INFRINGEMENT upon THEIR RIGHT!

Remember IT IS YOUR RIGHT vs. their privilege to serve you and create the environment for YOU to PROSPER!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
Terry W. Wheelock
Independent Candidate for President of the United States 2016
Vote! WHEELOCK! 2016

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Hi,

Unfortunately, yes a license will be required to operate COMMERCIALLY. BUT.....it is up to the RC community to exercise THEIR RIGHT to allow ONLY the LEAST intrusive INFRINGEMENT upon THEIR RIGHT!

Remember IT IS YOUR RIGHT vs. their privilege to serve you and create the environment for YOU to PROSPER!

Sincerely and Respectfully,
Terry W. Wheelock
Independent Candidate for President of the United States 2016
Vote! WHEELOCK! 2016

Are you going to be spending a lot of time here resurrecting old threads by soliciting for your campain with a mixed bag of comically capitalized words?