Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
My business plan: Selling those parts paid for with digital currency on the dark web & air dropped by parachute from a huge Cabbie RC transport flying out of an illegal RC field at an unknown location by an unknown pilot flying FPV with no spotter.
First one is free. Next one will cost ya
Do whatever you want but I've got LA. Don't let me catch you selling on my turf.

Legendary member
I don't want to see you or your crony's north of the 49th either, we cool :cool::LOL::ROFLMAO:
BobDoesNotApprove.png

Legendary member
My part 107 class started last Saturday but I missed it because I was in Mexico. I did get the first assignment done, however- submit a comment to the FAA. The assignment description was detailed and thorough on the new regulations, it wasn't anything we don't already know but it seems the professor is opposed to the new rules. There should be some good information from the class.

Figure9

Elite member
My part 107 class started last Saturday but I missed it because I was in Mexico. I did get the first assignment done, however- submit a comment to the FAA. The assignment description was detailed and thorough on the new regulations, it wasn't anything we don't already know but it seems the professor is opposed to the new rules. There should be some good information from the class.

I guess we’ll be getting FAR Part 107 certs just so we can post on YouTube.

KSP_CPA

With the public comment period closed the FAA received over 51K comments. Quite impressive really considering the public comment period was actually requested to be extended by several manufacturers, which was promptly denied by the FAA. The AMA released a video (See link here) which states each comment must be reviewed and responded-to by the FAA. A process which will take quite some time.

All comments are subject to public record, although some comments are redacted if requested by the individual. Horizon Hobby's entire comment is redacted as they must have sent over a set of financial statements or included trade secrets (they do own Spektrum brand transmitters/receivers so probably a lot of technical information in their comment). They can be searched by going to this link.

451 of the comments reference "flite test" in some way. You can find several of the Flite Test guys' comments with a simple search. Alex's comment is an 11 page attachment and Bixler's is a 9 page attachment; it seems that it was similar information gathered by FT or other community groups that each of them submitted on their own. The FT guys did a great job in their information gathering by surveying the community, identifying flaws in the FAA's proposed rules, and then proposing solutions.

A lot of comments from universities, companies involved with RC (DJI, Horizon, etc.), a huge number from AMA members, some from organizations I wouldn't have previously thought of such as a zip lining company which uses drones for videos or electric companies who use drones to inspect their lines, or several photographers for weddings. I suppose we now await our fate with the FAA but I am somewhat encouraged after looking through the comments.

Figure9

Elite member
With the public comment period closed the FAA received over 51K comments. Quite impressive really considering the public comment period was actually requested to be extended by several manufacturers, which was promptly denied by the FAA. The AMA released a video (See link here) which states each comment must be reviewed and responded-to by the FAA. A process which will take quite some time.

All comments are subject to public record, although some comments are redacted if requested by the individual. Horizon Hobby's entire comment is redacted as they must have sent over a set of financial statements or included trade secrets (they do own Spektrum brand transmitters/receivers so probably a lot of technical information in their comment). They can be searched by going to this link.

451 of the comments reference "flite test" in some way. You can find several of the Flite Test guys' comments with a simple search. Alex's comment is an 11 page attachment and Bixler's is a 9 page attachment; it seems that it was similar information gathered by FT or other community groups that each of them submitted on their own. The FT guys did a great job in their information gathering by surveying the community, identifying flaws in the FAA's proposed rules, and then proposing solutions.

A lot of comments from universities, companies involved with RC (DJI, Horizon, etc.), a huge number from AMA members, some from organizations I wouldn't have previously thought of such as a zip lining company which uses drones for videos or electric companies who use drones to inspect their lines, or several photographers for weddings. I suppose we now await our fate with the FAA but I am somewhat encouraged after looking through the comments.

Many people wrote their House Representative or other political representative that they voted for or made a campaign donation for. It‘ll take a while but you can rest assured something will be enacted to restrict free RC UAS flight within the airspace we use. The reasons cited by the FAA will probably be public safety, but I think that’s not the case. Follow the money, look at the government’s use of drones, consider big business, product deliveries & and other drone related activities. That’s more likely to reflect the real reason the FAA wants our airspace use restricted.

Figure9

Elite member
Yeah... I read that comment. There's a lot to unpack there, it's just easier to throw the whole suitcase out.

TL: DR - ghettoman is just flat wrong on his comment

To determine if any law is valid the only opinion that matters is that of the US Supreme Court. Even laws enacted by Congress & signed by a US President (And laws of all the lesser government bodies as well) are subject to constitutional challenge for review & opinion of SCOTUS. Don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen in our case.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
commercial take over of the under 400ft airspace............I will not comply......mulon labe

MEH... Im an old man now, but I was a 1%er most of my younger years, and I still ride my panhead, I will be flying on my own livestock pastures out in the sticks when ever the heck I choose to, should the authorites confront me I will say thanks for your concerne but my cows are ready for slaughter anyways so saftey is of NO concern here....and frankly you came down a private road to get here as would anyone else that felt in danger

I will state I will not comply....I wont pay any fines, I will be that old man in the news that goes to jail for playing with toy airplanes on his own expansive grasslands in the middle of no where....

we will see how that flies in the news..... 80yr old man goes to jail for flying toy plane on own pastures in country side ....meanwhile they are releasing prisoners that committed violent crimes with a virus into the general public..then bullstein us ALL we dont need masks during a pandemic (masks for me not for thee) .........tell me about public safety politicians are soooo concerned about

mulon labe

Last edited: