Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hmmm, bet they're not big fans of my favorite coffee company either...

20200516_072501.jpg

Oh well,

20200516_073248.jpg

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I'm interested to hear updates on this. The most recent news I saw about it (something about the companies involved) was discouraging. There's stuff I want to do with it, but I am not spending any more money on this hobby until I'm sure that next year it isn't going to be effectively ruined forever, leaving me with a bunch of planes I can only legally fly at one of the ever shrinking number of sanctioned fields available. It'll be many years before I can afford the land I want to do the things I like to do with no interference from anyone.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm interested to hear updates on this. The most recent news I saw about it (something about the companies involved) was discouraging. There's stuff I want to do with it, but I am not spending any more money on this hobby until I'm sure that next year it isn't going to be effectively ruined forever, leaving me with a bunch of planes I can only legally fly at one of the ever shrinking number of sanctioned fields available. It'll be many years before I can afford the land I want to do the things I like to do with no interference from anyone.
Is there any way you can find a farmers field or sod farm to get in contact with the owner to get permission to fly there. Sod farm guys are usually good about that as long as you dont ruin their product.

I live in the country so i have access all the time to anywhere. I really feel for people in your situation. But honestly i wouldnt stress about the rules that much. There are no RC cops gonna be knockin on your door. They dont exist. And any beat cop isnt gonna bust you for flying unless they know the rules, and chances are if you have been following even half the updates on the situation you probably know more then them.

Just sayin

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Honestly if you don't report your information, how can anybody track you? If you fly at a remote field with the owners permission no one is gonna call the cops on you unless they are a busybody. Where I'm from the cops will let you do stuff as long as it is not harming anybody or their property. I don't know if your local police are the same, but a lot of departments are.

Stay flyin'!

Yeah lemme join in. Operating any RC vehicle in any NYC park is forbidden except for just a couple very sparse flight-specific fields, where there are RC flight clubs that seem to own the place and are situations I just don't want to get into. I'm just a kid with a toy. A 50-something yr old kid. But for real, the general rule of thumb is you can fly in any park you want as long as you're not being stupid about it. They can see it's a super-wholesome pastime and it sure beats tagging buildings with a can of spray paint. And cops & park rangers mostly don't know the rules anyway.

But I sure don't know your situation. Use your better judgement.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Yeah lemme join in. Operating any RC vehicle in any NYC park is forbidden except for just a couple very sparse flight-specific fields, where there are RC flight clubs that seem to own the place and are situations I just don't want to get into. I'm just a kid with a toy. A 50-something yr old kid. But for real, the general rule of thumb is you can fly in any park you want as long as you're not being stupid about it. They can see it's a super-wholesome pastime and it sure beats tagging buildings with a can of spray paint. And cops & park rangers mostly don't know the rules anyway.

But I sure don't know your situation. Use your better judgement.
I second that. Use your better judgement.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ill say this again... the FAA and big corporations already had this all hashed out, bought and paid for long before anything became public about regulating the hobby. Its all about money nothing more. Our input, thoughts on safety, or the preservation of a long standing national past time NEVER factored into this process. For the telecoms to Amazon who bought and paid their way onto "the Team" is more about data collection. For the government its easy access to more spying on the citizens because they know government is too far corrupted and they want heads up on any revolutions starting up. What better way to get it then have full time aerial surveillance for free thru drone deliveries in their sinister minds. Its all fake and they are just "going thru the motions" to try to make it look like its a fair and reasonable action.

Why regulate the hobby then you might ask... who would be the revolutions air force to counter the "drone" tech used against the citizens... Us who are deeply embedded in the hobby and already have the know how and tech to do so. By stirring up this issue and leaving it hang many will give up and leave the hobby. Those that stay will be hit with regulation and fees to further thin out the numbers of people to potentially revolt. Those that are left and follow these rules would be tracked and eliminated over time by other means.

A little paranoid you say... Well these people in power ARE that damaged and devious and its only thru your money and their power they govern by for their own growth and prosperity.

If it had anything to do with safety in reality its a simple solution to leave us alone at 0 to 400 ft (even down to 300 ft really for LOS) leave a 300 foot buffer zone then drone delivery or other commercial use gets 600 to 800 ft leaving a 200 foot buffer zone if we kept 0 to 400 ft. They get the remote id to interact in the air space to comply with full scale safety and then 200 foot buffer zone where full scale aviation gets 1000 ft and above.

After all if I am in a local park flying below tree level with my race quads any full scale aircraft encroaching where I am is already too screwed for my tiny toys to be an issue. Same thing with RC any where technically if full scale air craft are blow 400 ft and not on take off or approach they are screwed or THEY are the ones breaking the current laws not us.

Camera drones and other non hobby drones that have consistently been the ones causing the "safety and privacy" issues do need some kind of regulations but normal hobbyists and racers not out to bother anyone as has been the hobby's track record since inception do not.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
My passion is flying real airplanes, models are a tertiary hobby. I don't care about platitudes like "who's gonna report you" and "use your better judgement." I'm not in the business of potentially being busted by the FAA for something stupid because a complainer or an unpleasant cop who know the rule just so happen to be the ones who caught me breaking a stupid law. I want more information not boomer wisdom about how it'll be alright if I just ignore the rules.

The FAA has been a pain in my ass since a FSDO examiner robbed me of my chance at being a professional pilot by incorrectly administering a SODA test to an 18 year old me who wasn't wise enough to have combed through the procedures and FARs before doing it. I am interested in staying off the FAA's radar, not playing fast and loose with a bloated bureaucracy that can't do what it should do effectively but can easily take away my ability to fly. This is the same reason I don't go bust the stupid biweekly wintertime TFRs with the local FPV quad guys when the president is in town...

I understand that the process isn't transparent, but I'm hoping one of the FT guys reads this and sees fit to provide us with any update, based on the greater degree of information they undoubtedly have as industry insiders vs me who can just read the press releases and do searches which are crowded with old results.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
My passion is flying real airplanes, models are a tertiary hobby. I don't care about platitudes like "who's gonna report you" and "use your better judgement." I'm not in the business of potentially being busted by the FAA for something stupid because a complainer or an unpleasant cop who know the rule just so happen to be the ones who caught me breaking a stupid law. I want more information not boomer wisdom about how it'll be alright if I just ignore the rules.

Please dont confuse "boomers" with the generations born in the early 80s and beyond that cant grasp the concept of right and wrong only self. We "boomers" got our butts whooped when we did wrong. there was no... "Ill call child protective services if you try to discipline us in any way". Our parents responses to all that crap was simply "what makes you think you will make it to the phone". We UNDERSTOOD quickly to make proper judgement and accept accountability for our actions. It wasnt until the Politically Correct and Ebonics generations came that humanity started with its intellectual decline and only cares what gives them happiness with the least amount of effort the real problems started and has culminated into todays way of life.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Please dont confuse "boomers" with the generations born in the early 80s and beyond that cant grasp the concept of right and wrong only self. We "boomers" got our butts whooped when we did wrong. there was no... "Ill call child protective services if you try to discipline us in any way". Our parents responses to all that crap was simply "what makes you think you will make it to the phone". We UNDERSTOOD quickly to make proper judgement and accept accountability for our actions. It wasnt until the Politically Correct and Ebonics generations came that humanity started with its intellectual decline and only cares what gives them happiness with the least amount of effort the real problems started and has culminated into todays way of life.
Though I am a millennial, I was raised the same way. It's so funny because you sound exactly like my father. I have a feeling if you and him met you'd get along.

KSP_CPA

Model Airplane News had a great article in their most recent issue discussing the history of FAA regulation with the hobby and the massive backlash of negativity these proposed Regs stirred up. I don’t want to steal the article’s thunder and it makes few predictions either way, but the regs were a radical departure from their historical partnership with AMA and other organized groups who have traditionally “regulated themselves”.

The opposition of organized groups who were not formally associated with the hobby was also surprising. The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association was one whose strong opposition was felt in their public statements condemning the rules as they were proposed (AOPA Comments). Additionally, the FAA did not provide a mechanism for new areas to be deemed "free fly fields" and predicted the number of available hobby fields to slowly diminish to zero over time.

What is concerning is the FAA has made no significant comment regarding the rules since the comment period closed. While a full press release wouldn’t be expected, the overwhelming percentage of the comments being in stark opposition warrants at least an acknowledgment that they are aware of the overall public opinion while reviewing the comments.

While I have been somewhat optimistic that these regs will eventually be revised, it is quite clear that without significant changes to the proposed regs AMA will cease to exist within a few years; the death of AMA will shatter the internal oversight and organization of the hobby.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If it had anything to do with safety in reality its a simple solution to leave us alone at 0 to 400 ft (even down to 300 ft really for LOS) leave a 300 foot buffer zone then drone delivery or other commercial use gets 600 to 800 ft leaving a 200 foot buffer zone if we kept 0 to 400 ft. They get the remote id to interact in the air space to comply with full scale safety and then 200 foot buffer zone where full scale aviation gets 1000 ft and above.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
300 ft for LOS is really not very high. I was at the field a few weeks ago flying FPV with Baro and GPS elevation on my OSD. I was cruising around at 300' thinking I would be above the gasser flying at the field, only to be suddenly awaken by a gasser missing my nose by about 10 feet going right to left. :-O From the ground, he really didn't look that far up. This was only a .45 plane, so nothing extraordinarily big. The whole 400' bubble thing is a joke, even LOS. Height wise(Z) is doable, but 400' around the pilot (X/Y) really isn't much. I can't even use the whole field we have been flying at that close range.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
While I have been somewhat optimistic that these regs will eventually be revised, it is quite clear that without significant changes to the proposed regs AMA will cease to exist within a few years; the death of AMA will shatter the internal oversight and organization of the hobby.

[edit - removed rant]
and hmm..... /rant

I want to like the AMA - insurance, theoretically fighting for the hobby, etc.

Last edited:

Boberticus

I know lots of people have great experiences with the AMA, but there are people that have had very bad experiences with them, even before the FAA was looking at the hobby.

I personally wont ever contribute a dollar, If I have to join the AMA to legally fly, and there is not some sort of private insurance I can get at an comparable price of the yearly dues, ill probably quit posting about anything i do fly online, and move onto boats and cars.

What we need is a what for groups to register that don't want to fly under the "tyranny" of the AMA.

I put that in quotes cause I know there are a lot of guys that have had amazing experiences and tout the benefits, but id really like to see some diversity in this aspect.