Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
300 ft for LOS is really not very high. I was at the field a few weeks ago flying FPV with Baro and GPS elevation on my OSD. I was cruising around at 300' thinking I would be above the gasser flying at the field, only to be suddenly awaken by a gasser missing my nose by about 10 feet going right to left. :-O From the ground, he really didn't look that far up. This was only a .45 plane, so nothing extraordinarily big. The whole 400' bubble thing is a joke, even LOS. Height wise(Z) is doable, but 400' around the pilot (X/Y) really isn't much. I can't even use the whole field we have been flying at that close range.

I didnt say it was optimal flying conditions just suggesting its a valid solution where we would not get regulated out of flying at all... and the lowering to 300 feet was just an option. the original intent is for NO changes to what its always been at 400 ft LOS not 400 feet bubble BS as proposed.

Im on our side NOT the gubbments

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know lots of people have great experiences with the AMA, but there are people that have had very bad experiences with them, even before the FAA was looking at the hobby.

I personally wont ever contribute a dollar, If I have to join the AMA to legally fly, and there is not some sort of private insurance I can get at an comparable price of the yearly dues, ill probably quit posting about anything i do fly online, and move onto boats and cars.

What we need is a what for groups to register that don't want to fly under the "tyranny" of the AMA.

I put that in quotes cause I know there are a lot of guys that have had amazing experiences and tout the benefits, but id really like to see some diversity in this aspect.

AMA lost ANY and all respect I had when it tried to buddy #$%# the multirotor community over their own agenda and profits. To me they rate right there with DJI now. The enemy of the hobby. the only reason I had a membership since I came back was for Flite Fest and have not gone since FFO 18 so have not had a a membership. The insurance is just like any other insurance.. they will fight tooth and nail to NOT cover you even if it costs more in lawyer fees to do so.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Do you need to be an AMA member to go to FF?

Yes you do. At least until the FAA formally recognizes AMA and the FTCA (Flite Test Community Association) as CBO (Community Based Organization). Once that comes into play Josh has talked about having insurance from the FTCA / Edgewater Air Park where several options could be offered from yearly like AMA to daily for events and Flite Fest to better manage costs to us pilots.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Yes you do. At least until the FAA formally recognizes AMA and the FTCA (Flite Test Community Association) as CBO (Community Based Organization). Once that comes into play Josh has talked about having insurance from the FTCA / Edgewater Air Park where several options could be offered from yearly like AMA to daily for events and Flite Fest to better manage costs to us pilots.

You know what would likely help the hobbiest? a few alternatives to the AMA... which then would cause the various 'CBOs' to have to focus on their member's needs as there would be competition for members.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@JasonK There were ... shortly after the FAA unsupported any CBO's several that were in the works catering to specific types of flying. Mainly quad type CBO's. Any noise about those have faded to near extinction since its taking so long for the FAA to rule exactly what will be a certified CBO and its responsibilities.

BoredGuy

Just read the debate on this thread, I wanna put my two cents in
How hard would it be for the FAA to pass different laws for heavily populated areas?
I mean, a guy in the middle of Montana crashing his plane only poses a danger to deer and bears :)
Or maybe have the rules apply only to off the shelf aircraft, I mean you can build a plane from scratch then you probably would know enough about safety through experience and advice from fellow hobbyists

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Forgive the naive question-
but then what do you think drove these new legislations?
Not intending to provoke anyone, just curious
$elling out the Air$pace to the coroporation$.

They want to fly anytime any place with no restrictions....

I'm still waiting for them to put transponders on every bird and insect. Sorry kids, you can't fly your kites and don't even think about throwing or kicking a ball in the air.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
One step ahead of ya...
20200913_182134.jpg

@LitterBug Cheers bud!