Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

Flite Risk

I'm going to just fly. I imagine many other people will also. THEY are going to "make examples" of a few of us and try slapping us with fines, come and get me. You can't get blood from a stone. That's why I iFly RC. If I had money I'd fly full scale : -p

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Then I've got another dumb question.
How can regulating airspace for our scale planes get the FAA or corporations more money?

By selling your airspace rights over your home, the FAA will make billions in taxpayer money.

By using your airspace right over your home Amazon will make hundreds of millions.

By selling the video Amazon takes while flying over your home to the NSA/FBI, Amazon will make billions in taxpayer money as the US expands the panopticon.

“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.” ― George Orwell, 1984

This is a progressive attempt at revolution, just like the molotov cocktails.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Delivery drones are just a small part of it. Lots of them already in use in industry from farming to oil, gas, and mining, and increasingly in surveillance. While some of that is pretty neat, like the drones used to patrol for poachers in african reserves, others cause me some concerns.

Here is an article from a local newspaper:
signal-2020-09-17-185255.jpg

Keep in mind this is a po dunk midwestern town (as noted by the comment section 😂) and this is a clever and excellent way for officers to remain safe and still do their job in a dangerous situation which i dont have a problem with. I just wonder if something like a fleet of them active in New York or LA surveilling citizens on a large scale is going to be a good thing...

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
As "Libertarian" as i am, letting an actual communist insurrection cause havoc in the street is a total failure of local government. But the part of it i worry about the most is that it will be used to justify the ramping up of civilian survailance... it is always for your protection... and good people who are scared will go along with anything...

This push for regulation of our airspace is a just another part of all the insanity that is going on...

If only it were just about delivery drones...

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
@cranialrectosis you posted your reply as i was writing mine lol

We clearly share concerns about what is coming... this is going to be a 1984 Orwell couldnt have even imagined

Been making tons of my own flying toys this past month, 75 grain, 168 grain and 225 grain. Been flying a lot too; out to 700 yards...

Got a shortage of en-bloc clips but my oh my every eight flights; that is the sound of freedom ringing in my ears.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@cranialrectosis Same here bud! Ive got a thoudand acre prairie dog town out here, worked up a pretty good load, sweet little "Sofia" Bergara and I have been having lots of fun! 😂 Id rather have 10,000 in practice and only 300 on my shelf than 10,000 on my shelf and 300 in practice...
Just glad i was well stocked on powder and freedom seeds before the shelves all went empty! 😳
Remember the good old days so long ago when running out of toilet paper was everyone's big concern? How time flies...

tomlogan1

A survey of the guys at our home field indicates a large increase in the number of criminals if/when this goes into effect. But since criminals are not prosecuted or are treated with kid gloves, what's to worry about?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Im thinking about 3 things.
1) We dont have nearly enough police where I am (it is still safe don't worry)
2) What cop is gonna have a scale in his car
3) What cop is gonna care? Most people think these things are cool as long as you are responsible. People seem to have a lot more hate for drones than planes too.

All the same I'd rather not be fined...

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Haha, at that price it would cost me about $1,500 to equip my fleet. Probably cheaper to just pay a fine for not having it.

hobby usage you only need one and can swap it between your craft - at least that is where it was last I looked at it.

tamuct01

Once the spec is published, I'll be checking out the DIY kit. I'm sure you'll be able to set it to report whatever pilot location you want and all sorts of bogus GPS data.

Piotrsko

Master member
Once the spec is published, I'll be checking out the DIY kit. I'm sure you'll be able to set it to report whatever pilot location you want and all sorts of bogus GPS data.
You can do that now. My phone believes it lives in Iowa somewhere. Spoofing the cell tower is a bit more difficult.

You ever notice all the future doom and gloom scenerios have an underground resistance?

Bricks

Master member
If you are part of a club just get your field certified then do not need any of this transponder stuff, just fly as usual.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
hobby usage you only need one and can swap it between your craft - at least that is where it was last I looked at it.
Correct. The RemoteID module can be swapped between UAS. RemoteID modules are specifically defined as new technology, neither ADS-B nor aviation transponder - so user-specific, not aircraft-specific.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Correct. The RemoteID module can be swapped between UAS. RemoteID modules are specifically defined as new technology, neither ADS-B nor aviation transponder - so user-specific, not aircraft-specific.
yes and no... Last I looked at it for commercial usage it was per craft and IIRC had to be installed by the manufacturer (which from what I have seen, at least some people still build their own stuff for commercial usage).