Faa proposed Transponder rules and how/if they change what we do as hobbyists

Phin G

Elite member
By selling your airspace rights over your home, the FAA will make billions in taxpayer money.

By using your airspace right over your home Amazon will make hundreds of millions.

By selling the video Amazon takes while flying over your home to the NSA/FBI, Amazon will make billions in taxpayer money as the US expands the panopticon.

“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.” ― George Orwell, 1984

This is a progressive attempt at revolution, just like the molotov cocktails.
we made them in science! 😁

Hondo76251

Legendary member
People not flying safe and where they should not started this whole mess.
Yes, kind of, but I agree with @JasonK more on this one though. If you ever want to find the truth of something just follow the money. Amazon is more wealthy and powerful after this year than ever before. We are in the way.

My only hope is that we can get enough say in the matter so that barrier to entry for long range flying isnt "billion dollar tech company" high but i suspect that may be wishful thinking.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Considering the recent news with the doomed-from-the-start RDQ vs FAA lawsuit, FT should really stop pretending nothing is wrong and use their large platform to the advantage of the whole hobby.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Considering the recent news with the doomed-from-the-start RDQ vs FAA lawsuit, FT should really stop pretending nothing is wrong and use their large platform to the advantage of the whole hobby.
What specifically do you propose? I don’t think anyone besides maybe the AMA is pretending all is well.
The FTCA is pretty limited in what they can do until the FAA gets their sh1t together and defines a CBO and has a application process for FRIA.

tamuct01

I think that the FTCA is continuing the fight. The AMA has rolled over to the FAA without so much as a peep. The FAA is a bleep-show and can't even develop procedures for CBOs and FRIAs before their self-imposed deadline. The most recent AMA newsletter basically said as much.

I paid my initial $5 to the FAA, but have not renewed it. I have not taken their stupid TRUST test, nor do I ever plan to. I will never operate an aircraft with functioning RemoteID.

I am curious, though: The RemoteID broadcast standard will have to be public knowledge so that manufacturers can build compatible systems. Once that is in the wild, what will stop anyone from broadcasting whatever you want? They say it has to broadcast the pilot's location and aircraft information. What's to stop someone from broadcasting that they are a 747 at 45,000ft over the pacific operating from Nome, AK? Sure, it'll probably be made illegal to broadcast fraudulent data, but speeding is illegal and I'm constantly getting passed on the freeway.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I think that the FTCA is continuing the fight. The AMA has rolled over to the FAA without so much as a peep. The FAA is a bleep-show and can't even develop procedures for CBOs and FRIAs before their self-imposed deadline. The most recent AMA newsletter basically said as much.

I paid my initial $5 to the FAA, but have not renewed it. I have not taken their stupid TRUST test, nor do I ever plan to. I will never operate an aircraft with functioning RemoteID.

I am curious, though: The RemoteID broadcast standard will have to be public knowledge so that manufacturers can build compatible systems. Once that is in the wild, what will stop anyone from broadcasting whatever you want? They say it has to broadcast the pilot's location and aircraft information. What's to stop someone from broadcasting that they are a 747 at 45,000ft over the pacific operating from Nome, AK? Sure, it'll probably be made illegal to broadcast fraudulent data, but speeding is illegal and I'm constantly getting passed on the freeway.
Spoofing ADS-B or transponder data doesn’t happen because full-sized aviation has always been regulated since shortly after Orville and Wilbur. When you are talking about devices weighing less than a few pounds, home-made by millions of hereto unregulated aviation hobbyists… I doubt the authorities have thought through the negative consequences of an open-standard R-ID.

FishbonesAir

These are extremely important, delicate, devices, that our country is counting on to defeat the threat of... something. Invasive fruit flies from Mars I think?

So, I intend to make a double walled, carbon graphite box. Seal the sucker in that. Wrap in gold foil to avoid solar flare damage. I figure a 9v battery powers a smoke detector for a year, and those are required to save lives. Therefore, I'll use the same, and change the battery once a year, whether it needs it or not. 😁

Last edited: