FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
For anyone who wants to have a look. The state/province and zip code of every FAA registered drone owner. No street numbers or names are given so don't worry about your security being lost. Most places have dozens of registrations so you won't be singled out either. It's pretty interesting to see how many people are registered in your area.

The List

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
I want to know who the heck wants to have every registered person's information released? Using FOIA to do so is a forceful move. I have to say that even though I think this registration is stupid and the FAA sucks in that regard, I'm glad they stuck to their guns and are not publicly releasing everyone's information.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
88 in my city/zip. Way more than I would have thought. One of them in not me!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Interesting, I registered but yet I don't see my town listed. I would expect at least one for my town.

I guess I don't count.

Last edited:

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
194 in my city and 56 in my ZIP code... I'm surrounded!

Interesting they don't give you a complete tally. Last count I saw was a pitiful 300k.

Jimmyp

I am interested in how they know the address of registrants out of the US, like me. I registered but the system wouldn't let me put in my non US address. They told me I needed to register my temporary address while in the US and I had to pay with a prepaid credit card also registered to the same temporary address. So I am registered at the address where I will be camping for a couple of days then they don't have any idea were I will be or where I live.

HilldaFlyer

FPV Dornes Welcome Here

I'm blown away. 145 registered the city where I live, and that doesn't include outlying towns. If our AMA club had that many - it would be a real increase.

What I wanted to point out is that this data would be helpful to present to city councils about providing public land for use. A friend just returned from a trip and took a picture of this in Missouri. I like the attitude of welcoming this type of activity in designated areas.

​
gb5v5cGCRrGtHQvGBHMBtd9GbO-71pFbC4Ge69oVdejamujwDsNh8BJQkz2Zkf3NJmySYoQOe-wdzGuFOKUhX0kPcU6yvReudw5uK22H1dXFAhRdsvl2tDcB0CUpUyospRoy1seZ

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Wow no bloody bodies strewn about? No downed trees and broken windows? No drones in flaming heaps all over the ground? I thought FPV drones were evil? ;)

I have to be honest, I'm surprised someone high enough to order a sign recognized the FPV community at all. Around here the RC community pretty much keeps to themselves...it's actually kind of rare to see someone at the local parks tossing up a model. The only police that stop me when I fly are ones curious about the hobby and ask a bunch of the typical RC questions..."how high/far?" "how much?" "how fast?" etc.

HilldaFlyer

I think it is a great model/example for FPV use.

A sign like this goes a long ways to convince others on city/town councils that they too can have an impact on designating areas for such activities. I can argue both for and against flying in public parks, but if a city/town were to create a designated area, then with that designation, then I feel it is in my right and others must look out for falling debris. For this reason I like flying in my club's field, not that it is convenient or perfect, but it is a designated use area.

Kind of similar to a dog park, or field of dreams... build it and they will come. Awful, I know, but true.

Jimmyp

Perhaps IP address location?

I think you are replying to my post. I can't be IP location because the FAA system also shut me out when I logged in from my home IP. I have a VPN service which I can change location. I used this so the FAA computer system thought I was in the US. So that can't be it. Unless they changed the registration system after I did mine to allow non US to register without going through the hoops I did.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Numbers by me are way higher than I expected. 49 in my zip code, 87 in the zip for the east side of town that also includes YPG where the military does a lot of real Drone work, and 47 for the far east side of town which is basically all trailer parks and shrinks by about 70% in the summer when the snowbirds go back north.

Really didn't expect that kind of numbers around here. The big jump for YPG though has me thinking a lot of the guys working on real drones registered.

MrClean

Well, theres ONE in my zip code. Wonder who the heck that could be.

Don't worry, I'm sure the full name, address and phone number will be up before long. It's our government, trashing your security is what they've been studying to do for the last 40 years.

OttoPilot

Wow no bloody bodies strewn about? No downed trees and broken windows? No drones in flaming heaps all over the ground? I thought FPV drones were evil? ;)

I have to be honest, I'm surprised someone high enough to order a sign recognized the FPV community at all. Around here the RC community pretty much keeps to themselves...it's actually kind of rare to see someone at the local parks tossing up a model. The only police that stop me when I fly are ones curious about the hobby and ask a bunch of the typical RC questions..."how high/far?" "how much?" "how fast?" etc.

This is in Buder park here just outside St. Louis, MO.

It's a county park with a paved RC strip, and two paved Control Line circles. The county has entrusted one of our local clubs based out of the field with issuing 'permits' to fly at the park (club issues and maintains list, County enforces). So there was already a close tie between the RC community in the area and the local county government. I'm not entirely sure who is responsible for making this happen, but I applaud them.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Well, theres ONE in my zip code. Wonder who the heck that could be.

Don't worry, I'm sure the full name, address and phone number will be up before long. It's our government, trashing your security is what they've been studying to do for the last 40 years.

Hopefully raw number data is the extent of the "publicly searchable database" we all were fearing. I believe if releasing identifiable information was the FAA's intent, they would have released that information with this report. If the FAA doesn't release the identification information to public with FIOA requests chances are they weren't planning to.

The FAA is probably having enough trouble dealing with lawsuits and petitions against registration. The last thing the FAA needs to do is start releasing private information to give plaintiffs even more to use against them.