FAA Releases Drone Registration Location Data

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
Did a sum in Excel and got 461,433.

If we are to assume that there are 2 million US residents or territorial residents who own a qualifying aircraft, than the current registration total is around a 23% success rate. So... exactly how well did the FAA's registration plan go over?

Hint: 'Not well'

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Like I said though, I did register. I do have my number. I paid and got the refund. All that yet zero in my town are registered.

There must be more than what the list shows; I, myself, am proof of that. The list is inaccurate.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Like I said though, I did register. I do have my number. I paid and got the refund. All that yet zero in my town are registered.

There must be more than what the list shows; I, myself, am proof of that. The list is inaccurate.

a government database inaccurate? impossible! :eek:

Most likely that excel file was thrown together quickly to appease the FOIA demands. Just like the entire program was thrown together to appease the masses.

Not sure if there's any meaning to be gleaned from this, but (when I see a spreadsheet, I gotta' play with the numbers)...

Total number of registrations by state (in descending order):

Graph1.jpg

It would be interesting to compare this with R/C aircraft ownership (or AMA membership?) by state to gauge a measure of compliance by state. In other words, does California really have the largest number of people who fly R/C aircraft? Or only more people willing to register?

It's not surprising that DC has the fewest.

Another interesting stat: The top 10 US locations as far as number of registrations...

Texas has 4 of the top spots. Not surprising is the fact that The Villages, FL holds one of the top spots (a very large, very active retirement community with lots of open space).

TX McKinney 241
TX Katy 225
WA redmond 224
TX Cedar Park 217
CO Parker 206
TX League CIty 193
CA Simi Valley 192
FL The Villages 187
TX Cypress 187
GA Suwanee 186

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you want to really have fun with numbers . . .

How about normalizing registrations population? By state it should be easy.

Just looking at raw order (according to the infallible source of information that is Wikipedia), first 4 are dead on with roughly the same magnitudes. 5 and 6 are swapped (but close) . . . and then they move up or down a position or two.

Might be an interesting measure of our hobby's density . . . or a measure of a regions general tendency for compliance.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Seems there are only 7 in my area.. The police could care less.

United States GA Oakwood 30566 6
United States GA Oakwood 30503 1

Thanks for distracting me with more number-crunching, Dan.... ;)

Number of registrations / state population (corrected after a bit of Excel confusion and pivot table issues). Paints a different picture. But DC is still the lowest.

graph4.jpg

William A

Billy did it....

What's your zip ?

Edit; or better yet, search your zip in your Excel viewer.

Mine was list in 2 spots. :confused:

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
My town now has 5. I would presume one of those would be mine. Now I'd like to find who they are and go flying.

ducksoup

Registration question?

Am I correct that I only register myself one time and not every aircraft over 8.8 ounces? I live about 4 miles from a small community airport and where I fly there are tall fir trees all around me and I'm not in the flight path. I'm flying small foamies and never get above the tree tops but I'm still supposed to call this airport and notify them when and where I'll be flying?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Am I correct that I only register myself one time and not every aircraft over 8.8 ounces? I live about 4 miles from a small community airport and where I fly there are tall fir trees all around me and I'm not in the flight path. I'm flying small foamies and never get above the tree tops but I'm still supposed to call this airport and notify them when and where I'll be flying?
Yes. Your essentially registering yourself as the pilot of age of those aircraft that fall within the requirements.

DharanFlyer

Yes. Just one time register. FAA wording is bad and confusing.

And by the letter you should call the airport and inform them. I'd suggest just visiting and talking to the airport about you being there on a regular basis and if they have any concerns. If it is a small community airport then is most likely a Class E or D so most likely no control tower. Just talk to the airport manager.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning

In my case, I met with the airport manager and we discussed what I would be doing and where it would be safe. She most definitely does not want to hear from me every time I fly. The procedure was completely painless and she is quite nice and professional.

Mike