FAA Remote ID: A reasonable proposal

webbhm

Assuming the FAA is reasonable is a big assumption, but if we are stuck with remote id, what is a reasonable solution that we could live with? If we assume we could register a transponder that was portable between planes (rather than a per-plane registration), and it could send out a timestamp, id, latitude, longitude and altitude (and possibly another message with take-off location); this could actually be a helpful device for finding lost planes.
I was thinking of combining a Raspberry Pi (A) computer with a RFM69HCW transceiver (915 Mhz) and a small GPS. With the right antenna this could broadcast several miles (or from space if pushed). It could also run off of a servo lead.
At retail prices, this could be built for $35 in parts, if manufactured the price could likely be half this price (as well as half the weight). I could live with this.
I still like the idea of LAANC for most line-of-site and fixed site flying (no transponder needed), but think a simple transponder like this is something we could not only live with for FPV, but would actually have some benefit. Similar hardware (without the GPS) could plug into a phone as a receiver to show where the plane was located.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Assuming the FAA is reasonable is a big assumption, but if we are stuck with remote id, what is a reasonable solution that we could live with? If we assume we could register a transponder that was portable between planes (rather than a per-plane registration), and it could send out a timestamp, id, latitude, longitude and altitude (and possibly another message with take-off location); this could actually be a helpful device for finding lost planes.
I was thinking of combining a Raspberry Pi (A) computer with a RFM69HCW transceiver (915 Mhz) and a small GPS. With the right antenna this could broadcast several miles (or from space if pushed). It could also run off of a servo lead.
At retail prices, this could be built for $35 in parts, if manufactured the price could likely be half this price (as well as half the weight). I could live with this.
I still like the idea of LAANC for most line-of-site and fixed site flying (no transponder needed), but think a simple transponder like this is something we could not only live with for FPV, but would actually have some benefit. Similar hardware (without the GPS) could plug into a phone as a receiver to show where the plane was located.

While reasonable, the issue with that is that it will require an additional power source (i.e., another battery, as it would require 700mAh-2500mAh per the makers) and add weight. I know that you say you can run it off of a servo lead, but that seems like a lot of power to draw from your battery, lessening flight times significantly or potentially killing the smaller park flyer planes due to that much weight/drag.

I think many of us are opposed to the Remote ID because it adds weight, and many of these planes are sensitive to that additional weight...

ScottSteward

The only way this could even flirt with being reasonable is if they eliminate the 400' rule and do away with the idea of registering every individual aircraft.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Adds weight, adds cost, doesn't prevent any issues (only helps track down the culprit after the fact), makes it easier for Nosy Neighbor Johnson to shake his fist at the sky while you fly in your back yard, and gives the feds another way to charge you. None of that sounds reasonable to me, and the FAA has shown in the past they will not stop at reasonable. Keep fighting the good fight.

PoorManRC

Master member
Not looking good so far.....
Especially for those of us who are barely hanging on financially. 😞

I wrote my letter, and did my best to be eloquent and respectful. I'm just waiting...