FAA Transponders?

Thomas B

Excellent! Thank you for the Concise reply. That is helpful. Seems like some 233 flying locations have already been inserted.
per page 1-1 of linke AC above. - 8. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Facility Map: https://udds-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/.

Just to clarify.

Those 233 sites are what the FAA considers fixed flying sites. These are found in controlled airspace.

These do not automatically become FRIAs (FAA Recognized Identification Area) where you will be able to fly without Remote ID (RID) These sites must make an application through a CBO (community based organization) to obtain a FRIA.

Andy.T.

With the addition of the local constabularies, I would till follow those rediculous rules as suggestions. The local cops have better things to do but if you make a nuisance of yourself they can make an example of you. Take the test, id your plane and the local cops won't typically bother you unless you are being stupid. The township cops where I fly in Westerville Ohio like to watch me and my sons fly.

I've been flying for a fair number of years and never had anyone show anything other than fascination or awe at what I was doing and flying. But I've never taken a test, ID'd any of the many planes I've flown over the years, or anything like that.
I take it, new misguided FAA Charlie Foxtrot's not withstanding, I'm supposed to do something to be "allowed" to fly? Any hints or info would be welcomed.

bisco

Elite member
it may be different in different places, but the cops around here sit and watch me fly at the local ball fields.
we're a good 10 miles from the airport as the crow flies

FishbonesAir

I've been flying for a fair number of years and never had anyone show anything other than fascination or awe at what I was doing and flying. But I've never taken a test, ID'd any of the many planes I've flown over the years, or anything like that.
I take it, new misguided FAA Charlie Foxtrot's not withstanding, I'm supposed to do something to be "allowed" to fly? Any hints or info would be welcomed.

Yup. And it's definitely a Charlie Foxtrot, lol 😆. To sum up, either you must fly on designated reservations only, aka FRIA Federally Recognized Identification Area. hmm... sound like 1800's and a group the Government don't like to you? Does to me. Especially since, in the original plan, those reservations or FRIAS would have a drastic drop dead deadline to apply, have to reapply yearly, and if they missed, gotcha! Goodbye reservation! 👋 But I digress.

Alternatively, by 23 Sept 2023 you must fly with a Remote ID (which, notably isn't frikken available!)

Or... keep your all up weight, ready to fly, at 249 grams or less. Thats about 8.8oz. Because drones under 250 grams don't count, and are allowed to fly under the FAAs radar. 🤣😱

FishbonesAir

Foxtrot's not withstanding, I'm supposed to do something to be "allowed" to fly? Any hints or info would be welcomed.

Yup. And it's definitely a Charlie Foxtrot, lol 😆.

Oh, one more option. Join the growing group who plan to fly safely in the park like they've been doing, and ignore the FAA and their idiocy. The logic here is that they won't catch you if you're not being dumb and entering controlled airspace, flying over stadiums, etc.

But be advised that the FAA is playing hardball, they seem to have it out for drone pilots, and are ticket and fine happy when they do catch someone doing something they don't like.

Good luck, whether you choose to be an honest Imperial citizen under the Empire, or join the Rebel Scum. 🤣

MrKilometer

$300 to make your drone legal... that's a pretty steep price if you have more than 1 or 2 "sUAS". I'm sure the price will come down eventually, but if you want to fly more than a handful of airplanes/drones, it'll still increase the cost of entry into the hobby. Maybe someone will figure out a way to quickly swap one module between multiple aircraft, that could be handy.

bitogre

$300 to make your drone legal... that's a pretty steep price if you have more than 1 or 2 "sUAS". I'm sure the price will come down eventually, but if you want to fly more than a handful of airplanes/drones, it'll still increase the cost of entry into the hobby. Maybe someone will figure out a way to quickly swap one module between multiple aircraft, that could be handy.

I have actually contacted the company that makes this particular device and they are working on cheaper version ($50 or less) that only has the features we need and nothing more. The $300 device has features like LTE connectivity that we do not need. The new item will be Bluetooth only (required for RemoteID), no battery, able to run on 3.5V to 9V (run off 1s or 2s lipo or servo BEC), small and light weight.

Also, the FAA Rule does allow you to move the device between models so you can have just one device and put in the model you are currently flying. Or, fly at a FRIA where you don't need to have RemoteID at all.

FishbonesAir

. The new item will be Bluetooth only (required for RemoteID), no battery, able to run on 3.5V to 9V (run off 1s or 2s lipo or servo BEC), small and light weight.

Thing I've been suggesting and trying to build some community support behind is pushing/appealing/begging suppliers to integrate a cheap Remote ID into the sensor slot for receivers.

You see, that way, they could at least feed back altitude to your transmitter. Seriously, these things will snitch that you flew too high, without actually telling you altitude? 😒 All while using up your battery power to do so?

Can you say "Blood Sucking Government Parasite boys and girls? I knew you could!"

At least if it gives us telemetry, it's of some use. Kinda like that congressman who flew on the shuttle, and they kept wired as a Lab Rat 🐀 for experiments. 🤣

Andy.T.

Good luck, whether you choose to be an honest Imperial citizen under the Empire, or join the Rebel Scum. 🤣
HA! A rebel with and without a cause, I've been both. Never have I been good at doing what I was supposed to, unless it coincided with what I was going to do anyways.

In any case, thanks all for the info. One more specific question on the topic. You mentioned controlled airspace. How much around an airport do we think they are touchy about?

MrKilometer

HA! A rebel with and without a cause, I've been both. Never have I been good at doing what I was supposed to, unless it coincided with what I was going to do anyways.

In any case, thanks all for the info. One more specific question on the topic. You mentioned controlled airspace. How much around an airport do we think they are touchy about?

The airport stuff is a little trickier, anywhere within 5 miles you're not allowed to fly. If you're 4.9 miles out, do it at your own risk, but you'll almost certainly get fined heavily if caught. I wouldn't risk it, doing that is more serious and poses a legitimate danger to people (even though there's no reason to be flying a real airplane at less than 400 feet except on approach).

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The airport stuff is a little trickier, anywhere within 5 miles you're not allowed to fly. If you're 4.9 miles out, do it at your own risk, but you'll almost certainly get fined heavily if caught. I wouldn't risk it, doing that is more serious and poses a legitimate danger to people (even though there's no reason to be flying a real airplane at less than 400 feet except on approach).

crop dusters spraying fields...

FishbonesAir

Okay, so I've been doing a little research on the Dronetag Beacon. Right now, they're pretty expensive. OK, really expensive. But the company is working on that.

From what I've pieced together, and remember your investigative reporter has alzheimers, the device talks to their app in your phone, which shows you all the flight info, real time. You can set alarms for altitude, proximity to other drones, etc.

Now this meets one of my big "if I must carry one..." requests. It actually does something useful to me. It is also self contained, running off its own battery and weighs 16g.

Cost is the killer though. With shipping, one Beacon is like $245. Ouch! I've got a FlySky and a Frsky TX & Rx, and all my electronics barely add up to that. But without it, I lose access to my best flying site after September? Oy Vey.

Thomas B

My understanding is as mentioned above. There will be relatively low cost and low weight RID modules available sometime fairly soon. I have heard a predicted price of 50-60 bucks and a predicted weight of around 15 grams.

lukasbrchl

Hello guys, I am the CEO of Dronetag so let me give you a little insight into the pricing problem. Dronetag Mini and Beacon use aviation-grade components and special assembly procedures here in the Czech Republic. So the costs for electronic parts and all the relevant labor are simply too high.

However, as some of you have already noted, we will introduce more affordable products before September 2023. It will be a basic variant without any bells&whistles, manufactured in Asia with commonly available parts. It will also come without an enclosure so the weight will be below 10 grams. I will keep you posted about our progress. In the meantime, feel free to write me any wishes or requirements you might have. I will be very happy to hear your feedback.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Hello guys, I am the CEO of Dronetag so let me give you a little insight into the pricing problem. Dronetag Mini and Beacon use aviation-grade components and special assembly procedures here in the Czech Republic. So the costs for electronic parts and all the relevant labor are simply too high.

However, as some of you have already noted, we will introduce more affordable products before September 2023. It will be a basic variant without any bells&whistles, manufactured in Asia with commonly available parts. It will also come without an enclosure so the weight will be below 10 grams. I will keep you posted about our progress. In the meantime, feel free to write me any wishes or requirements you might have. I will be very happy to hear your feedback.
Thank you very much for posting here and letting us know your plans! Your plan seems to be perfect for foam planes.

lukasbrchl

We actually plan to introduce two variants - one with internal antennas for Bluetooth and GNSS (that will be below 10 grams) and the second with U.FL connectors so you can put the RID device somewhere into your fuselage and wire the antennas out. The second variant will be even lighter due to pigtail antenna availability (final weight with external antennas can be below 5 grams). I cannot disclose many details yet, because there are some competition fights already, but I would be very happy to hear from you.