FAA Transponders?

FishbonesAir

Hello guys, I am the CEO of Dronetag so let me give you a little insight into the pricing problem. Dronetag Mini and Beacon use aviation-grade components and special assembly procedures here in the Czech Republic. So the costs for electronic parts and all the relevant labor are simply too high.

However, as some of you have already noted, we will introduce more affordable products before September 2023. It will be a basic variant without any bells&whistles, manufactured in Asia with commonly available parts. It will also come without an enclosure so the weight will be below 10 grams. I will keep you posted about our progress. In the meantime, feel free to write me any wishes or requirements you might have. I will be very happy to hear your feedback.
Thanks Luka! Dave Steele

FishbonesAir

...two variants - The second variant will be even lighter due to pigtail antenna availability (final weight with external antennas can be below 5 grams). I cannot disclose many details yet, because there are some competition fights already, but I would be very happy to hear from you.
I like the sound of the pigtail version myself. Looking forward to seeing it when they become available.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
y bother as soon as we do this they will come up with something else.
True.

Example is the ATFs reclassification of pistol braces. For decades, people have dutifully complied with the ATF regulations to use a pistol brace - now the ATF completely reversed itself, and says if owners don’t remove them and/or turn them into the ATF, they are felons.

The FAA required us to register our toy planes and quads. Many dutifully complied. Now after September 2023, the FAA will likely use that same voluntary compliance to find us and punish us.

The government hates its citizens.

bitogre

We actually plan to introduce two variants - one with internal antennas for Bluetooth and GNSS (that will be below 10 grams) and the second with U.FL connectors so you can put the RID device somewhere into your fuselage and wire the antennas out. The second variant will be even lighter due to pigtail antenna availability (final weight with external antennas can be below 5 grams). I cannot disclose many details yet, because there are some competition fights already, but I would be very happy to hear from you.

I will take one of each. I can see in some of my aircraft where internal antennas will be easier and others where the external are practically required.

MrClean

We could treat it like the majority of Illinois Sheriff's are treating they're new, unconstitutional, worthless "Assault Weapons Ban". Just ignore it. Let them focus on REAL threats and quit hassling law abiding citizens.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
We could treat it like the majority of Illinois Sheriff's are treating they're new, unconstitutional, worthless "Assault Weapons Ban". Just ignore it. Let them focus on REAL threats and quit hassling law abiding citizens.
Many will, which proves the short sightedness of some regulatory agencies. Once the people feel it is impossible or even inconvenient to be "law abiding" they begin to excuse their own malfeasance. That is not good in any society. Then again, maybe that is ultimately what some in "government" want - an opportunity to "reset".

MrClean

We'll have to slip off to the pub and discuss a little "conspiracy" If I'm quoting from The Quiet Man correctly. After 3-4 years of resetting for the firey but peaceful mob I'm kinda ready for the adults to be in charge again. Maybe I should quote from "Foundation" where the whole planet of Trantor was dedicated to a government office of one type or another. Ya, that worked out great too. Ahhh lets talk model airplanes and I'll save the rest for Alex Jones. I'll remember the times when I'd listen to Art Bell and laugh about his breed of crazy pre 2000. Some kids are reading this and wondering, Why's he not talking about Joe Rogan and some adults are thinking "That's not "'The Rest of the Story"'PH :LOL:

FishbonesAir

True.

Example is the ATFs reclassification of pistol braces. For decades, people have dutifully complied with the ATF regulations to use a pistol brace - now the ATF completely reversed itself, and says if owners don’t remove them and/or turn them into the ATF, they are felons.

The FAA required us to register our toy planes and quads. Many dutifully complied. Now after September 2023, the FAA will likely use that same voluntary compliance to find us and punish us.

The government hates its citizens.
]

Sounds like you've decided to exit the hobby?
I could use some electronics if you're just getting rid of them. 😁

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I will be very happy to hear your feedback.
So if I understand it, everyone can use this signal to see the location of my drone. Will I be able to use that signal to find a drone that went down in the tall corn? A possible upside for all this trouble?

Tench745

Master member
So if I understand it, everyone can use this signal to see the location of my drone. Will I be able to use that signal to find a drone that went down in the tall corn? A possible upside for all this trouble?
That's the one up-side I see, yes.

chag

Are these devices anything more than a Bluetooth GPS? Like from a decade ago? Isn't the app just a much more invasive Pokémon Go? I haven't read the requirements yet.

Anti-drone fanatics are already harassing people and shooting down drones. Too bad FAA doesn't take recreational fliers' safety into consideration. Not to mention privacy rights.

bitogre

Are these devices anything more than a Bluetooth GPS? Like from a decade ago? Isn't the app just a much more invasive Pokémon Go? I haven't read the requirements yet.

Anti-drone fanatics are already harassing people and shooting down drones. Too bad FAA doesn't take recreational fliers' safety into consideration. Not to mention privacy rights.

In many ways, yes, RemoteID broadcast devices are basically a Bluetooth GPS. There are some subtle differences in the Bluetooth protocol and the information included but that is getting into the details. The big difference between Pokémon Go and the app to detect these devices is how they detect/know the location of the McGuffin (UAS or Pokémon). Pokémon Go needs internet access as the location is controlled by the game servers where as the RemoteID App can work without the internet access and just need to be in Bluetooth range of the RemoteID device.

F4vet

I just started in RC aviation last year after careers in the USAF and engineering. I haven't had a lot of luck getting started and now I see remote ID will be required by September of 2023. Nothing I bought last year has remote ID. I am personally interested in fixed wing models so I guess I will need a remote ID module(s). Thus far, I've only found "promises" that these modules will be available. I am sorely tempted to list all my gear on ebay and write is all off as a bad experience. What is the consensus on the viability of fixed wing RC aviation in the remote ID world?

bisco

Elite member
you can go under 250g without it.

what has been the prolem getting started? i started a couple years ago with 2 ch., then moved up to 3 and then 4.
with these new gyro systems, learning is pretty easy