FAA

skymaster

Elite member
So i have been preoccupied with alot of things lately that i lost touch with the forum for a while. so where do we stand with the rules of the faa. any one have any idea?

flyfree

The rules are the same as they have been for the last couple years. If you're referring to the NPRM, NPRM stands for "Notice of Proposed Rule Making". They are Proposed only. Now the FAA has to respond to the all of the comments and then decide what they're going to put into the final rules. The original schedule for that called for the final rules to come out at the end of this year and then there would be some amount of time before they would actually take effect. With the number of comments, and now Covid-19, it's hard to say when the rules will come out. It could still end up being the end of the year if they're really pushing, but we most likely won't know until it's close to happening.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Guess Ill order a new popcorn machine from them and sit back and enjoy the fail show. Then we can all watch the law suit hearings on CNN together.

Anyone wanna do a pool to see who can guess the first fail when some of Darwins best get hurt and sues the pants off Amazon? My guess is inner city the second week of deliveries just after popleple get to see how they work and do the drops. I just hope someone videos the swarm of people when the first of these deliveries come and people try to steal them or even capture the drone. You think the riots are silly with the looting sit back and enjoy the show.

#GoTEAMDarwin
#BezosindaPoohaus
#Invasionoftehebildronez
#FAAfailing4dollaz

M

MCNC

Sadly it seems we Americans are somewhat lazy, greedy, and self centered. This choice of convenience over conscience will like so many short sighted decisions haunt our futures.

basslord1124

Master member
Never said this before here, but I just find it funny that they are talking of using drones for delivery. They just really strike me as very inefficient things to use for delivery. All the power needed to get them airborne plus the weight of items, etc. I figure as a society we could come up with something better.

M

MCNC

And in the case of the advancement of self navigating cars, are the less advanced manually operated cars having to add avoidance and tracking systems?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
And in the case of the advancement of self navigating cars, are the less advanced manually operated cars having to add avoidance and tracking systems?

No way! Please no! I don't even like half the factory stuff on my my Wife's car. It triggers when there is a telephone pole close to the road or a ghost goes by. (aka steam from the exhaust of a car in winter) I have a serious problem with ABS when it goes in to ICE mode for no reason too. Every car I've owned has had problems with that, including my '86 Vette that I used to race.

LB

Piotrsko

Master member
And people wonder why I have 20+ year old cars with crank up windows, and (shudder) manual trannies. Abs control modules respond poorly to being removed
Amazon et al are into the publicity drones offer. I'm with @PsyBorg about that except it will go away fast when They figure out how expensive it will be.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
There have been some successful drone cases (distributing medical supplies to rural hospitals), but those were fixed wing and had some creative launch and "landing" systems and the payload was parashooted down.

When I look at the 'quad' delivery drones like for Amazon, I see a functional issue. High density locations, don't currently have a good way for drones to land (so anything were individuals don't have their own yard/landing area for the drone), so this takes out [big] cities.. at least currently, even though the population density would be ideal for something like this, given the range of the drones.

Without going to fixed wing flight, there is a range limit on the drones, which limits more rural areas (which again there could be some value here if not for range limitations) even though there could be some potential value here in saving costs for drivers to drive trucks to the various locations.

At some level, I think this is mostly in R&D, even being willing to operate it as a loss, for the hope of having tech in place for if/when something changes to remove one or more of the current barriers (better battery tech would be a huge change here, so would installing 'delivery docks' on high rise buildings).

I don't think there is any plan for this to replace 'normal' delivery stuff that many/most people see, however there are places were Amazon has 2 hour delivery for some items, and I think this is the situation that the drone delivery 'market' may be targeting right now. The ability to "instantly" dispatch a direct to end point shipment over an area could make it so amazon could compete with Brick and morter stores for more things. think about running to the store for something small vs paying an extra $1 to have it delivered for you in under 1 hour... that may very well be the market that something like this impacts in the near future. (were I am at, that would probably _save_ me money as the nearest store is 10-15 minutes away at 55 or 65 mph, so I am very likely to have spent $1-2 in gas to do it... then there is my time also).

Flion

SomE of the faa laws are kinda lame, if I managed to get a plane up to 400 feet of be flying over some of the planes arou. D here..... We got crop dusters every were.... Actually one died a few months ago... Stalled and crashed.... Barn storming for family......

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have seen commercials on YT and on the TV that are promoting drone deliveries yet episodes of (undisclosed) TV shows are condemning drones. Such a mixed message to the average public yet such an obvious M.O. in our eyes