Fabrication Techniqies serise

LordGarak

I'd love to see Flite test do a fabrication techniques series. The foam board scratch builds have really inspired me to build my own planes. I don't know about the rest of your viewers but I'd like to move on to more advanced materials. I'd like to learn about balsa and carbon fiber. How to buy, cut, shape, paint, glue, etc...

We don't need to see 50 hours of Josh building an entire balsa plane. Just an introduction to what is involved in building a kit or building from scratch. Show some helpful tips on how to work with the various materials. Right now I don't think I'd ever dive in to building a balsa plane, but a month ago I would of said the same for a foam board plane.

Looking forward to the next episode.
--
Chris McDonald

earthsciteach

I agree. I'm excited to see the more "aircraft" looking swappables that are on the way like the Spitfire and Cruiser. I'm currently building a foam plane that could be incorporated into a swappable format. But, in my opinion, a dedicated power set up to a given airplane is better than a one-size-fits-many format. However, I do understand the value in building airframes that use the same power system. I just find it sort of constraining.

RandyO

"constraining" might also be considered a "plus".. to new guys like me, fewer variables makes this easier to follow and construct. I found plenty of places with more technical and complicated builds.. I like the efforts to keep things on a more narrow track where a new guy can experiment with flight models without having to deal with the "sub assembly" of the power pod..

Also, the laser cut foamboard really lends itself to the newb... Sure it would be nice to be "everything" but I like the narrow focus myself..

earthsciteach

RandyO - I certainly appreciate your opinion on this. Not only does it simplify things for those just getting into the hobby, it allows a never-before-seen low cost entry into RC. Since learning to fly RC is often given in terms of the demise of number of airplanes, this can't be beat from the standpoint of cost and ease of construction.

Now, you will quickly get to the point where "Bigger, Better, Faster and Cooler," will be on your mind. If you enjoy building as I do, then you will start looking for more of a challenge in construction. Foam board is still a good material, but there are many techniques that I'd like to see shared on this forum that lead to better performing and more "real" looking aircraft.

It doesn't have to come from the Flite Test guys, either. Quorneg has a scratchbuilt sailplane thread going and it is an outstanding build using a blend of traditional balsa techniques modified for foam board or depron.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?3803-Glasflugel-H301-Libelle

DumbAce

I too would love to see this on the show, the articles from ExAir are great, would love to see a show including posts such as his.

RandyO

RandyO - I certainly appreciate your opinion on this. Not only does it simplify things for those just getting into the hobby, it allows a never-before-seen low cost entry into RC. Since learning to fly RC is often given in terms of the demise of number of airplanes, this can't be beat from the standpoint of cost and ease of construction.

Now, you will quickly get to the point where "Bigger, Better, Faster and Cooler," will be on your mind. If you enjoy building as I do, then you will start looking for more of a challenge in construction. Foam board is still a good material, but there are many techniques that I'd like to see shared on this forum that lead to better performing and more "real" looking aircraft.

It doesn't have to come from the Flite Test guys, either. Quorneg has a scratchbuilt sailplane thread going and it is an outstanding build using a blend of traditional balsa techniques modified for foam board or depron.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?3803-Glasflugel-H301-Libelle
Oh I fully understand that point (if you saw what I was already working on, you would probably shake your head).. I would just hate to see the current format lose focus on the basics and basically new flyer education and recruitment.. An "advanced" flyers/builders would certainly be cool, just seen too many good things go bad by trying to do too much...

Seems they are pretty careful about changes and use their heads as far as this program goes....

If you want to see where I have gone since my first "foamboard" plane.. I am working on a bird with 8' wingspan, FPV/433LRS Dragonlink and APM2.5.. I was hoping to get Josh to "maiden" the thing for me.. :) (pretty sure he has a lot better things to do than fly this bird but it is only one of 6 or so that were built and is a pretty cool bird..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5HzhyvmvM

Last edited: