Facetmobile

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber

I started this a few weeks ago. It took two sheet of Adams Board (DTF).

I have the radio set up on elevons with the center section acting as dedicated elevator. Thinking about a rudder that deflects out only, probably will never need it.

Still trying to figure out how to mount the motor. perhaps a simple shaft for the motor to recieve? It glides, see the wrinkled nose? Will retain removable top half.

Suggestions?

Justin

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It'll break the scale lines, but I'd say go prop-in-slot, motor in pusher format on the CG. You'll have to tack down/stramline the trailing edge of the slot to keep it from blowing out in the propwash. you'll also need to re-enforce the sides of the fuse, but shouldn't take much.

If you want to go with the typical mounting, it'll look out of scale, but build up a foam block out of 3-4 layers of stripped DTFB and glue/tape/screw your firewall to that.

If you want to go with a drive shaft from more scale lines . . . good luck. It can be done, but it'll take some machine work and it's a nasty part to bend/break . . . got any carbon fiber tubing and matching bearings/bushings for the shaft? On that airframe, it'll also be a bear for thrust angle, since you'll probably need more down than you want to keep the motor bell inside the fuse . . . or a really long shaft.

Whatever you choose, looking forward to seeing it take to the air :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Better is always a relative term . . . EDFs need good inlet and outlet vents else they're horribly inefficient. they also don't create "wind" over the wings/control surfaces, so you need to keep your speed up.

For this frame, probably not and keep the scale lines . . . but an in-runner mounted in the nose might work. they typically run a lot higher kv, but a slow inrunner (~1800-2400kv) throwing say a 4.5" to 5" prop would give you great thrust even down on 2S, with screaming performance. Only big hurdle is adapting to the smaller shaft . . . building the firewall mount might also be "fun", but shouldn't be too hard to figure something out that works.

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
. . . or a realy long shaft..

The shaft I was thinking about would be attached inside on the flat surface, then protrude out the nose and enter the rear of the motor with no firewall.

I would like to try a ducted fan shrouded in a boxy looking ram jet addon to the bottom 2/3 back! But I don't have the parts laying around to make it happon. Haven't owned a ducted fan..... Yet. :)

Will look at the prop in slot.. With the large inside cavity, that would cool the ESC and motor!

A corvette style driveshaft in a tube would take the stress off of the foam board if I went belt drive, could even let the motor hang out the bottom a little in a scoop. Don't know where to find the bearings or a 3mm shaft.

Thanks guys!

Justin

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I don't know about torque issues, but from personal experience, I can tell you that the Facemobile has more than enough yaw stability to work quite well with the scale setup. I would fit either a prop saver or a folding unit, though, to protect against crashes.

Regardless, it's a pretty forgiving design for RC, but not so much for free flight because of the overstability in yaw (a good thing for RC). And that would be the reason that mine has yet to more than a handful of "successful" flights.

Keep the CG forward...it's happier that way. And expect to fly in an alarmingly nose high attitude.