Fail-Safe settings for Tiny Trainer

model14

What fail-safe setting do you recommend for the Tiny Trainer? I'm thinking motor off, a little up elevator, and a little right or left rudder. This should produce a slow spiral to the ground. I have never had a radio with fail-safe before, so I have no experience with it.

Tench745

Master member
That sounds like a potential recipe for a spin straight into the dirt. On my planes I have failsafe set to motor off, all surfaces neutral. The plane may glide a way, but it will likely make it down in one piece.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What fail-safe setting do you recommend for the Tiny Trainer? ...
Tench makes a good point. It’s easy to get too much throw into your fail safe. Too much throw will be worse than straight and level.

If you want to attempt it. I would recommend using the trim tabs. Fly the plane high, set the trim so the plane will do what you want in fail safe. My guess, you will need 3-6 clicks of right, 0-3 clicks of up to get a good slow decent.

Once you have tested how many clicks of trim you need. You can set the trim back and land. Beware the further you get out of trim, the more difficult your plane will be to fly. When you land add your trim and set your fail safe.