Fairly new to the hobby. First Scratch Build and Maiden flight - FT Mustang

vtelikicherla

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new, got my RC Flying wings with the Aeroscout and then the Apprentice and then discovered this amazing site (FliteTest). So tried my hand at a scratch build of the FT Mustang. Must say quite happy and proud of the end result. I live in Dubai, UAE and ordered a box of the new white makerfoam for my scratch build.

For my maiden flight I am using a 2212/13T 1000KV motor with a 30amp ESC, 9X6 Gemfan prop and a 3s 2200mah LiPo. Seemed a bit underpowered flying into the wind, so any suggestions / advice on how to address this would be much appreciated.

Thinking of trying out a Master Series Build next. Leaning towards the P47...thoughts / advice??

Maiden Flight Video

Cheers

Attachments

• 4e7496e0-5fe4-4a8f-854f-f5b99e70b256.JPG
    4e7496e0-5fe4-4a8f-854f-f5b99e70b256.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4fe06ba0-0102-43fc-95bc-ae6738ef0721.JPG
    4fe06ba0-0102-43fc-95bc-ae6738ef0721.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • a5944b2c-8af8-446e-827b-ccc843e486f1.JPG
    a5944b2c-8af8-446e-827b-ccc843e486f1.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Good looking plane. On your question about more power. If the motor you have can handle a 4s battery the extra voltage with give it a boost. Other wise a motor with a higher kV rating or a bigger motor in the 2215 or 2218 size range will give you a boost.

tesseract

Master member
How did you make it fly? I made one and it never flew... spent a few MONTHS making it precisely as it was supposed to be made.

vtelikicherla

Good looking plane. On your question about more power. If the motor you have can handle a 4s battery the extra voltage with give it a boost. Other wise a motor with a higher kV rating or a bigger motor in the 2215 or 2218 size range will give you a boost.
The current motor does not support 4s. So guess I need to upgrade the motor.

While flying into the wind (around 10 MPH wind speed) the plane was tending to gain height rather than move forward, could this also be because of a lack of sufficient down thrust?

vtelikicherla

How did you make it fly? I made one and it never flew... spent a few MONTHS making it precisely as it was supposed to be made.
What foam board did you use and what was the total weight of the plane. I originally tried building the FT Simple Cub with a locally sourced foam board. Due to the excess weight (nearly 80% more than spec) it was a challenge to fly. Very twitchy and a tendency to tip stall.

tesseract

Master member
What was happening when you launched it? Lack of control? Did it do a back flip? Lack of thrust?
It went to (not in) the ground then went into ground effect, then the prop hit the grass. I was going full speed with full up elevator with full battery but it still did that.

tesseract

Master member
um........ I didn't have a scale at the time. I only had a kg/lb scale. It weighed about as much as 2-3 chapter books.

Timmy

Legendary member
If it was the mini mustang it should have weighed about 5.5oz If it was the big mustang then it should have weighed 1lb.