Fantastic Plastic 3D Printed Models

Andrew

G'day Mate
If you have a 3D printed a model feel free to show it off and give a link to where you got the G Code or STL files from.

Nucking Futs - Speed 400 Pylon Racer - RC plane
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3358880

This one took about 2 1/2 days to print (printed with "3D Fillies" PLA+), then another 2 days to sand it smooth, then 4 coats of primer and a good sanding between primer coats, then 4 coats of automotive acrylic yellow paint with light rub back between coats, then applied the black carbon fiber textured vinyl stickers then the final 4 coats of automotive acrylic clear coat.
I'm hoping this model will go over 200kph

Nucken Futs Motor 2.jpg Nucken Futs Motor 1.jpg Nucken Futs Motor 3.jpg Nucken Futs Motor 4.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew

G'day Mate
Aircombat RC plane EFW C.3603
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3205608

This Aircombat was printed at 65% size with Cocoon PLA from Aldi, it's just as brittle as the Esun brand therefore I will not be flying this model. I will be printing this one again with better filament. I modified the fire wall with balsa to suit the Cox 049 engine, the balsa has a good coat of "Finish-cure Epoxy Resin" to give it a rock hard fuel proof protection.

Air Combat 1 Motor.jpg Air Combat 2 Motor.jpg DSCF6596.JPG Air Combat 3 Motor.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew

G'day Mate
Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've been tempted to try printing a plane but I have to wonder how many hours and how many rolls of filament are involved in a park sized print.

I'm also in a never ending battle with Cura to get accurate prints. I've pretty much given up on trying to print two parts that may have to actually fit together. I can design the things I want in TinkerCad. I just can't get Cura to print them accurately after dozens of hours of adjustments and half a roll of filament in failed test prints. Now I only print stand alone items. :rolleyes:

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
I've been tempted to try printing a plane but I have to wonder how many hours and how many rolls of filament are involved in a park sized print.

I'm also in a never ending battle with Cura to get accurate prints. I've pretty much given up on trying to print two parts that may have to actually fit together. I can design the things I want in TinkerCad. I just can't get Cura to print them accurately after dozens of hours of adjustments and half a roll of filament in failed test prints. Now I only print stand alone items. :rolleyes:

Joe
For a park flyer sized print it will probably take 3/4 of a roll

Turbojoe

Elite member
For a park flyer sized print it will probably take 3/4 of a roll

At $20 ish for a roll that's not bad. I've gotta get dimension correct prints first. I just installed Slic3r and did a test print. It's almost as bad as Cura for printing holes. I keep working with horizontal expansion and temps and get it pretty close but I want it dead nuts for hole sizes.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
At $20 ish for a roll that's not bad. I've gotta get dimension correct prints first. I just installed Slic3r and did a test print. It's almost as bad as Cura for printing holes. I keep working with horizontal expansion and temps and get it pretty close but I want it dead nuts for hole sizes.

Joe
The holes came out perfect on mine when I used cura. My eclipson exploded mid flight tho
20200224_160026.jpg

Keno

Here is a couple, the QTrainer by LabPrint Flies great and the glider (Joker)is work in progress, awaiting parts. I will finish it off with some clear coat and some decoration.

Attachments

• IMG_0079[547]_Moment.jpg
    IMG_0079[547]_Moment.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0088[559]_Moment (3).jpg
    IMG_0088[559]_Moment (3).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Andrew

G'day Mate
Easy to print F5 Tiger aircraft scale model 1/64
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2241922/comments

This was the first model I printed back in September 2018 when I first got my 3D printer (Anycubic I3 Mega).
The files for this one is intended to be a non RC static model, I've assembled 3 in different sizes so far, largest being 17 inches long. I also have even larger one ready to assemble and this will be RC, rear pusher motor and all moving tailerons for control .

Tiger 2.jpg Tiger 1.jpg Tiger 3.jpg

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Here is a couple, the QTrainer by LabPrint Flies great and the glider (Joker)is work in progress, awaiting parts. I will finish it off with some clear coat and some decoration.

Just waiting on the folding prop and 6mm cf rod and then I can finalize the Joker also.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Free 3D printable RC Shark 1/8 scale (Shark.Aero)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2865167

@buzzbomb started thread for this one, I'm a shark
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/im-a-shark.61814/

This shark was printed at 65% size with Esun PLA. This one built as a slope soarer.
Because of the poor quality esun PLA and bad Cura settings this model shouldn't last past it's first landing.
I will be building another with better filament.
View attachment 167060 View attachment 167061 View attachment 167062
I did this one and I don't like the inner structure of how it was designed, I gave it away :) .

Keno

Just waiting on the folding prop and 6mm cf rod and then I can finalize the Joker also.
Not sure if know this Aloft Hobbies has some good folding props with hubs. Abester Composite Materials Co., Ltd they have a supply
warehouse in I believe California. Amazon is the place to go for this. China takes to long. Took a look at your YouTube. Question? Have ever been to the Shetland Islands, UK?

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Not sure if know this Aloft Hobbies has some good folding props with hubs. Abester Composite Materials Co., Ltd they have a supply
warehouse in I believe California. Amazon is the place to go for this. China takes to long. Took a look at your YouTube. Question? Have ever been to the Shetland Islands, UK?
Stupid price through them from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca , US is $9.95 ea. plus $31.00 shipping and CA is $15.43 and $55.00 shipping. :D

quorneng

Master member
I am not convinced of the real advantage in printing a complete plane. Although technically attractive the filament as a material is a very poor substitute for most conventional aero modelling materials. As a result the product ends to heavy for the strength created.
As a keen builder, and do mean builder, printing is no direct substitute for foam but there are application and circumstances where the strength to weight of a printed structure is much less of a penalty.
My preference is thus to use printing where it has an advantage that at least negates any short coming in its structural performance.
Probably my biggest printed structure to date is the fuselage in a pod and boom pusher.
19May18.JPG

The wings and tail are a built up structures using 3 mm Depron foam with balsa spar flanges being the most suitable for that purpose.
The fuselage pod is built up from 5 individual parts glued together and provides the motor mount, internal mounting for the ESC in the wing pylon with integrated cooling ducts and a close fitting battery compartment in the nose which has a matching cover held down by magnets. The glass fibre tail boom is a also mounted in the fuselage pod.
PodPylon1.JPG

Also printed are the dihedral braces for the wing and tail as well as the protection cover over the top of the wing.
CentreBrace.JPG

Not so much for light weight but for the benefit of accurate duplication the 26 wing ribs are printed as well.
LHwing1.JPG

Although it was really built as a 'test' for me to explore how 3D printing could be best used the end result is most satisfactory. The pod fuselage has proved remarkably robust and well able to withstand even rough belly landings.
It weighs 718 g (25.3 oz) 'ready to go' with a 3000 mAh 3s on board. A maximum of 354 W available gives it a sparkling performance with unlimited vertical as well as a substantial 'cruise' endurance approaching an hour.

qwijibo

I've been making (and crashing) 3D printed planes for a while now. Some have been fantastic, others were just OK...but all of them have been fun to print/build and each has had at least a few successful flights. :)

Most have been printed in 3D Solutech PLA, and a few from eSUN Pla Plus. The Mini-Arrow pod was done in PETG, but it's far too flexible for the other thin walled models.

Here's a smattering of my 3D plane builds...

2019-10-26 15.38.23.jpg 2019-03-26 20.46.10.jpg 2019-02-27 06.38.19.jpg 2018-10-08 19.13.43.jpg 2018-10-08 19.12.58.jpg 2018-07-05 20.42.46.jpg 2018-06-14 08.47.20.jpg 2018-06-23 20.04.34.jpg 20170422_203116.jpg new plane.jpg