Fantasy Aircraft Build off, Stubby Mig?

OliverW

Legendary member
Well, I have multiple projects in line ahead of this one. It will fly, at some point. It will have a 20" Wingspan, and have a KF step airfoil. This is the only picture I could find.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180801-220817.png
    Screenshot_20180801-220817.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 0

OliverW

Legendary member
I failed to mention, with my lack of foam building, this will be one boxy bird. I have a Polaris to build and a mini FT 3D before this one. The build will probably start in September. I have to get the mini FT 3D ready for events and have the Polaris built in 2 weeks, when I can only get its plans next week so I have a tight building schedule. I just want to have this plane going for at least two seconds in the air.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard! :D

That's a very cool looking piece of artwork! And a September start should leave plenty of time to get this flying for the build challenge. If you want some help on skins for it let me know - I love these golden age racer inspired looks (y)

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks! I worry about poor vertical stability. I would love to have a skin for it. I just need to figure out how to make plans!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It might benefit from a slightly enlarged tail surfaces - making a profile chuck glider version can help a lot with confirming that - a nice balsa one like Josh does is neat, but a foam board one will still help show how it's likely to perform.

Morgan

I failed to mention, with my lack of foam building, this will be one boxy bird. I have a Polaris to build and a mini FT 3D before this one. The build will probably start in September. I have to get the mini FT 3D ready for events and have the Polaris built in 2 weeks, when I can only get its plans next week so I have a tight building schedule. I just want to have this plane going for at least two seconds in the air.
I was thinking of building a mini ft 3d as well and would greatly appreciate if you'd let us know how it flies.

OliverW

Legendary member
I will make a chuck glider out of scrap. Not a bad idea. The mini FT 3D will be most likely heavy with my guess. Got electronics on the way

OliverW

Legendary member
Alright. I made the wing bigger than I originally had planned. It is 26 inches now. Is there a way to mirror something in double cad?

Attachments

• Wing Ding.PNG
    Wing Ding.PNG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Alright. I made the wing bigger than I originally had planned. It is 26 inches now. Is there a way to mirror something in double cad?

There is a mirror command - from memory, you need to select the items you want to mirror first, then type "mirror" to start the command, then pick the line or points that form the edge of the mirror action.

It's one of the few commands in double cad where you must select the items first to start the command, instead of being able to start the command and then select the items.

Or, since this is all from memory, it might all be the other way around - type "mirror" command first and then select items... :unsure:

OliverW

Legendary member
Ok for ease of assembly it is going to have a bigger and flat horizontal stabilizer. And it probably will fly better that way.

OliverW

Legendary member
I am also adding a carbon spar to the wing. The prototype is having the scale rudder. Me and my friend are going to make lots of prototypes. And lots of poster board parts.

OliverW

Legendary member
I took on too much of a project for my skill. Sorry but I have to bail on the fantasy challenge

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Not bail - just delay a bit while you learn different skills and practice on some stuff! If it doesn't meet the deadline - so what? The point is to help people create and share awesome fun things. :D
Two of the projects I have currently are because I did just what Rockyboy said.
SquirrelTail - I do the same thing to myself all the time... heck I'm contemplating a frustration rant thread right this moment... as misery loves company. Rockyboy can attest I bite off WAY more than I can chew. Regularly. I don't think I succeeded on any of last years challenge planes. (I tried three-ish.) This year is even more. (7 I think) 3 of which are project from the past that never were completed.
but that's OK.

You can always come back to them.

The deadlines we put out are a guide to help us all keep on schedule for a Flight-Fest OH appearance. This challenge helps people with a kick in the pants and reminder to stop waiting. It gives everyone looking a good goal, some inspirations, and fabricated competition (some folks need that to get-a-move on) I thrive on the challenge. I use these things as an excuse to try things I haven't yet. maybe... use 3d printing, learn 3d cadd. thrust vectoring. 8 motors... ugg, still working on that. My point is. I know I have progressed as a builder, pilot/flyer and hobbyist faster because of these.

Allow yourself to release the deadline, but keep moving with it. the reward of completion is yours, whenever you get to it.