Fantasy Warbird YP-54 'Super Stallion'

Mad_Mechanic

So one of my favorite things to do in my downtime is go on Pinterest. Some time ago I came across this drawing for a fantasy Warbird that the artist dubbed the YP-54 'Super Stallion'

f6ac77aead7b7bdeaf3dcd828de1c493.jpg

*Full credit for the concept art goes to the original artist!

It's like a cross between a P-51 and the F4U. I'd like to try to design and build this.

One design issue I see is the wing placement, seems like the wings are attached perfectly mid-ship, seems like that's not-ideal.

Thoughts?

Michael9865

Elite member
To me it looks like it is attaching like the Corsair wing did, leaving just a little bit of curvature under the wing. The oil cooler scoop also gives the illusion of the wing being higher in the fuselage. Artistic license in the recreation of this artist rendering of course is at the builders/designers prerogative. 🙂

jfaleo1

Long nose would make weight and balance easier, also your wing could start off Corsair like but note that the wing is more tapered like a P-51, bent at the change in taper, I would make the aft fuselage longer for control though, short coupled aircraft are twitchy and difficult to fly especially if you plan to make his with gear to lift off the ground. All just thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Interesting concept! Not sure if you're going to try to put in retracts but it looks to me like you would need some interesting custom units that traveled WAY more than 90*. It looks like the design was for mustang style units in a corsair wing.

Mad_Mechanic

Long nose would make weight and balance easier, also your wing could start off Corsair like but note that the wing is more tapered like a P-51, bent at the change in taper, I would make the aft fuselage longer for control though, short coupled aircraft are twitchy and difficult to fly especially if you plan to make his with gear to lift off the ground. All just thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

The wing also has clipped tips like a P-51 instead of the elliptical tips like an F4U would have.

I agree with making the fuselage longer for better balance and control.

Interesting concept! Not sure if you're going to try to put in retracts but it looks to me like you would need some interesting custom units that traveled WAY more than 90*. It looks like the design was for mustang style units in a corsair wing.

I didn't even notice that but you are right, the gear retracts all the way up the wing bend. That's more like a P-51 because the F4U retracts it's gear straight back.

I wasn't planning on doing retracts, at least for a first go. I think I will just do fixed gear.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I wasn't planning on doing retracts, at least for a first go. I think I will just do fixed gear.

Yeah. It was just something that jumped out at me. Rotating retracts are the devil so I love the idea of standard retracts in a Gull Wing, but that would be something like 130* or so. Custom work for sure.

Good luck with the model. It will be a cool project