Fat Shark Dominator VS older Fat Shark goggles?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm a little confused. I bought a 900Mhz system ages ago, which came with the Sony 520TVL camera. It's not too bad a camera and I'd like to use it, but thought perhaps the Fatshark one might be better (it's a lot more expensive though has a smaller lens...). That's why I was thinking RTF Predator and upgrade the tx when I got tired of closer range stuff with the 100mW. But then if the camera's rubbish, I might be better off getting a Predator set, Immersion 600mW tx and run my camera straight up.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
PS I like the idea of having the goggles as my ground station. I've got lots of hills to stand on to fly over valleys, so I don't need a big yagi to do some great flying. Perhaps I should get the Predators from BevRC when they've got some cloverleaf sets in stock, and get the 600mW tx at the same time - I don't have callipers for precision antenna making. It'll work out about the same price as HK because they have free EMS for >$200 orders.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Just make sure you get a set of antennas that are tuned to the frequency (Channel) you're going to be using. It seriously makes a BIG difference no two ways about it. I'm not sure if they sell them for specific frequency or not. I've also made the Skew Planar for the Goggles a little higher so it gets over my big head. I'm about to upload the video of Thomas FPVing with my MiniSkywalker on Saturday.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I've read a bad review or two about BEVRC's antennas, but they've brought out a new line with a soldering node instead of glue and claim to have tested and tuned each one... At worst I'll need to re-do them. Argh, too many options, too much money to spend (that is, it costs a lot of money and I don't want to waste it on the 'wrong' choice...)!

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
too many options, too much money to spend (that is, it costs a lot of money and I don't want to waste it on the 'wrong' choice...)!

I know exactly what you mean . . well my pocket does lol I have a habit now if someone gives me advice on something they don't have first hand experience in, I pretty much ignore. It gets doubly costly for us since I have to usually buy two of most things because of Thomas! Kids ;)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Its like that, but still a lot of fun. I can't wait to do a fly out with Thomas, both of us FPVing in the air together!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, just picked up a good deal on Ebay for a pair of Predators - AU$247 with free postage! *just a little bit excited*

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Congratulations! They are nice Goggles as specially when you use a good Camera. I'm really loving mine. Did they pair you get come with the vRx?

I'm excited for you!!!

On a side note, I've been waiting on a whole heap of gear and everyday this week a van comes into our street drives into our driveway, I get excited and then they drive out!!! Man, why have all the vans decided to make a u-turn in my driveway :mad:

Cheers
Paul

bmsweb

Site Moderator
You're correct, they are pretty cheap too! I know someone got a 5.8ghz rx for something like $25! You should be in business soon :D

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hobby King sell it for $31 and they only weigh 35g . . you could always add it to an order the next time . . unless you find one earlier :)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Help! They've just completely changed the menu!

Ah, they must be in the middle of doing so. Telemetry and FPV are now included in the list again... The only thing I can find is the 5.8Ghz module, which is a rx, not a tx.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
They have these ones which are for the Dominators. Now I remember someone wanted to use a 2.4G Module in his Predators and was told to just buy the 2.4G for the Dominators and swap out. Based on that I make the assumption that the modules are exactly the same. Check it before committing as I could be wrong. I also believe that's why the 5.8 modules become available.

Hope this helps . . then again I could be talking a whole heap of rubbish above!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, that's just the rx... They used to sell the 100mW tx a little while ago, but now it only seems to be available in the packages. I've found them on a couple of other sites, but they're about $40+shipping. From a few older ads on RCG, people have sold them off for $25-35 shipped when they've upgraded their system from the RTF package.