Fat Shark Predator V2 - FPV Goggles at HK

Jim

Wow, no head tracker on the V2!

Hi,
I am new to the forum and new to FPV flying. I am considering buying the FatSHark Predator V2. I realise there is a lot of talk about the camera not being up to scratch and will look into a better camera later on (if I buy it).

But my main concern is the statement that the V2 "does not have head tracking." I will order a twin servo mount. Is this the only component that is missing from the system or is there a software/hardware limitation which makes the system not compatible with head tracking?

In short, what do I need to do to use head tracking with the Predator V2?

Thanks for any answers...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Have a look at this video

If Head tracking is important to you then I probably wouldn't go for the V2. Having said that the V2 are great value for money.
1. Better Camera than V1
2. Wider Angle Lens on Camera
3. Better Quality Goggles
4. Rubber Eye Pieces don't fall out

As far as head tracking options go, I really haven't looked at it, so I'm guessing someone else can answer that.

Jim

Thanks for the link. It looks like a nice kit.

I just need to know if there's a way to make it work as a PAN / TILT system... any ideas?

Cheers...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks for the link. It looks like a nice kit.

I just need to know if there's a way to make it work as a PAN / TILT system... any ideas?

Cheers...

If you really want Pan and tilt why not buy Predators V1 or newer higher model FatSharks that have built in Head Tracking. From what you're saying the V2's are not for you.

Jim

Thanks for all the advice. I bought the V2 and have two questions for those with more experience:

1. I plugged it all together and found the camera is powered the the main battery of the airplane through the balance lead. I plugged the camera to a battery and found the chipboard of the transmitter gets quite hot. Is this normal or is there a limitation to the sort of common lipo R/C batteries which are suitable for this system?

2. I see in images the battery for the goggles is attached to the strap but there is nothing included to allow this. How do I attach the battery so it isn't dangling off the goggles?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all.

Nonamerc

Arman
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the V2 and have two questions for those with more experience:

1. I plugged it all together and found the camera is powered the the main battery of the airplane through the balance lead. I plugged the camera to a battery and found the chipboard of the transmitter gets quite hot. Is this normal or is there a limitation to the sort of common lipo R/C batteries which are suitable for this system?

2. I see in images the battery for the goggles is attached to the strap but there is nothing included to allow this. How do I attach the battery so it isn't dangling off the goggles?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all.

It's pretty normal that the camera gets hot, make sure that it does not get to hot. When you are flying the airflow will cool your camera so that's not a problem. I have a FH18C pal cam from foxtech and i had it running for about 30 minutes during a groundtest. The back of the camera was hot but nothing melted so it was ok.

Just velcro the battery to your goggles.

Merry Christmas to

Jim

Thanks, Nonamerc.

In my case, it wasn't actually the camera but the chipset that was hot. Is this what you meant too?

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Its normal that the TX gets hot; Im about to try it on 2s through the adapter to see if it gets cooler ....

Also i made a custom cable to use my sc2000 with the Fatshark Predator Tx: the camera works with 12V and the TX is 5V.

fitted a male Futaba conector to the camera; so it will be standard conector and it cant be reversed by accident.

the female conector i splitted between the main battery leads with the RED/BLACK cable and the WHITE cable i conected to the VIDEO IN on the TX...

not the prettiest job but it delivers image, so im happy :D ..... check the wiring ... any suggestions to make it better ??

solucaopz0420.jpg

Jim

I can see there's an output for a cable to a device but I'm not techno enough to figure out what happens after that.

What kind of device do I connect to that cable?

Jim

Okay, I did a bit more research and found the EzYCAP 116 for about $USD 32 on eBay.

Any comments on this topic?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, there are plenty of cheapies around that do the job. The more expensive ones are made for security systems with multiple cameras and screens. $10-$15 is about right for single input/single output